Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Turning CO2 into fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Calling something simply false without a coherent response is an emotional response.

Meh... I think you're being too sensitive.

Carry on!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That would be Hydrogen DIoxide.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        That would be Hydrogen DIoxide.
        That's what I said

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          That's what I said
          Yup, I saw it! That's what he sad, alright, right after he said that other thing!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Yup, I saw it! That's what he sad, alright, right after he said that other thing!
            00000000000000a00aa0.gif
            You never saw any "other thing"

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That's what I said
              Actually I told you wrong, on purpose. It is really dihydrogen monoxide.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Actually I told you wrong, on purpose. It is really dihydrogen monoxide.
                That's wha... oh, never mind. Too much effort.

Comment

Calling something simply false without a coherent response is an emotional response.
                  No, it's a short response. Not inherently emotional.

Yes , anything we do will have a positive effect, but that does not mean it will resolve the problem. I did remotely propose that we should not do everything possible to reduce our carbon imprint and reduce the impact of increasing CO2 output from human sources.
                  ? Is there something missing here? Seriously, I'm not clear what you mean and wonder if a contraction got left out.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Hydrogen dioxide has killed waaaaay more people ...
                    The subscript is on the H, not the O...
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Your response is a bit emotional and over reacting. I will post references. I believe the 2019 UN report came to these conclusions.

Using CO2 in a process to produce energy requires an energy source, and heads up the only practical energy source is the sun.
                      It's based on having interviewed multiple climate scientists over the past decade, and having read the peer reviewed literature on the topic extensively. I'm not sure why calling something false that runs counter to all that qualifies as "emotional".

I have no doubt that you can find some quotes from people who will support your claim. I'm just pointing out that your claim is that they represent the majority of scientists; they simply don't. Look up scientists like Katharine Hayhoe, Gavin Schmidt, Andy Dessler, etc. and see what they're saying about mitigation.

We've got multiple practical energy sources. Geothermal, wind, nuclear, solar (both PV and concentrating), and hydro are all largely carbon neutral, and at least two of those are not dependent on the sun. If we end up building those in excess to our needs, then processes that remove CO2 from the atmosphere could potentially be economically viable.

As for this particular process, i'm not overly excited. Carbon monoxide isn't especially useful for producing fuel. It is, however, an important chemical feedstock that can be used in a huge range of processes, so this catalyst is potentially valuable. For fuel production, copper is a much better catalyst, as it can take CO2 directly to methanol or even ethylene. The issue is that the catalysts are relatively short lived before they get fouled by reaction byproducts, so most of the work has gone into trying to structure copper-continuing surfaces so that this is less of an issue.

There's a rather extensive body of literature on it.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q...=1&oi=scholart
                      "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                        There's a rather extensive body of literature on it.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q...=1&oi=scholart
                        Looking up one reference shows that copper and cerium oxide may make the best of both worlds...

Blessings,
                        Lee
                        "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Meh... I think you're being too sensitive.

Carry on!
                          Like the Lurch not a coherent response with references. The UN report was pessimistic as to what we are capable of and what is needed to turn global warming around

Source: https://www.un.org/en/sections/issues-depth/climate-change/index.html

Fifth Assessment Report

The report provides a comprehensive assessment of sea level rise, and its causes, over the past few decades. It also estimates cumulative CO2 emissions since pre-industrial times and provides a CO2 budget for future emissions to limit warming to less than 2°C. About half of this maximum amount was already emitted by 2011. The report found that:

From 1880 to 2012, the average global temperature increased by 0.85°C.
                          Oceans have warmed, the amounts of snow and ice have diminished and the sea level has risen. From 1901 to 2010, the global average sea level rose by 19 cm as oceans expanded due to warming and ice melted. The sea ice extent in the Arctic has shrunk in every successive decade since 1979, with 1.07 × 106 km² of ice loss per decade.
                          Given current concentrations and ongoing emissions of greenhouse gases, it is likely that by the end of this century global mean temperature will continue to rise above the pre-industrial level. The world’s oceans will warm and ice melt will continue. Average sea level rise is predicted to be 24–30 cm by 2065 and 40–63 cm by 2100 relative to the reference period of 1986–2005. Most aspects of climate change will persist for many centuries, even if emissions are stopped.
                          There is alarming evidence that important tipping points, leading to irreversible changes in major ecosystems and the planetary climate system, may already have been reached or passed. Ecosystems as diverse as the Amazon rainforest and the Arctic tundra, may be approaching thresholds of dramatic change through warming and drying. Mountain glaciers are in alarming retreat and the downstream effects of reduced water supply in the driest months will have repercussions that transcend generations.

Global Warming of 1.5°C
                          In October 2018 the IPCC issued a special report on the impacts of global warming of 1.5°C, finding that limiting global warming to 1.5°C would require rapid, far-reaching and unprecedented changes in all aspects of society. With clear benefits to people and natural ecosystems, the report found that limiting global warming to 1.5°C compared to 2°C could go hand in hand with ensuring a more sustainable and equitable society. While previous estimates focused on estimating the damage if average temperatures were to rise by 2°C, this report shows that many of the adverse impacts of climate change will come at the 1.5°C mark.

The report also highlights a number of climate change impacts that could be avoided by limiting global warming to 1.5ºC compared to 2ºC, or more. For instance, by 2100, global sea level rise would be 10 cm lower with global warming of 1.5°C compared with 2°C. The likelihood of an Arctic Ocean free of sea ice in summer would be once per century with global warming of 1.5°C, compared with at least once per decade with 2°C. Coral reefs would decline by 70-90 percent with global warming of 1.5°C, whereas virtually all (> 99 percent) would be lost with 2ºC.

The report finds that limiting global warming to 1.5°C would require “rapid and far-reaching” transitions in land, energy, industry, buildings, transport, and cities. Global net human-caused emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2) would need to fall by about 45 percent from 2010 levels by 2030, reaching ‘net zero’ around 2050. This means that any remaining emissions would need to be balanced by removing CO2 from the air.

© Copyright Original Source

More to follow . . .
                          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

That's wha... oh, never mind. Too much effort.
                            Wait, did you mean H2O2? I keep telling you, stop drinking stuff on the pharmacy aisle - hydrogen peroxide ain't good for ya like that!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                              Wait, did you mean H2O2? I keep telling you, stop drinking stuff on the pharmacy aisle - hydrogen peroxide ain't good for ya like that!
                              Better than H2SO4

Comment

Better than H2SO4
                                Which you tried to talk CP into chugging! You'd think the label screaming acid or the sulfur smell would clue him in, but nooooo...

Good thing he dumped it in that solo cup first...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment