Calling all Orthodox.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
    If you would please, explain how your view changed on this one issue.

How did your view change on John 6:53, 54? (contexts which include John 6:35, 37, 44-45, 47, 63-65. 70-71, . . .) How from not referring to the Eucharist to the interpretation that is does?

And on the Lord's table, as the Eucharist, in,
    Also 1 Corinthians 10:. . . 17, 1 Corinthians 11:. . . 23-26 . . . , Luke 22:19-21 [John 6:70-71].
    I don't know that I'd given the topic a huge amount of thought, but I had been taught it was symbolic - and the other position was transubstantiation, which seemed like a case of "pretend what your senses are telling you is not true." After giving it some thought and doing some debating, I discovered a way I could accept the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist.

Granted that Jesus as God became Incarnate, and as God has complete control over His Creation, if He declares 'x' to be His body, then it is (at least part of) His body. When He said, "This do in remembrance of Me," He gave His apostles the authority to do the same.

I hesitantly offered that up for discussion, hoping that those who advocated the Real Presence would shoot it down. To my distress, they did not.
    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I will never understand why people argue about the Eucharist. Does anyone really think that Jesus, on the night before he died, celebrated a final meal with his disciples and thereby intended to institute theological dissension and a source of division among his followers?
      אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

What God intends and what humans take from it are two wildly different things.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
          I will never understand why people argue about the Eucharist. Does anyone really think that Jesus, on the night before he died, celebrated a final meal with his disciples and thereby intended to institute theological dissension and a source of division among his followers?
          In this thread I do not wish to argue about one's beliefs about this topic. But I am interested as to how one comes to this belief. [It comes down to understanding one's own hermeneutics in Bible interpretation.]

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          I don't know that I'd given the topic a huge amount of thought, but I had been taught it was symbolic - and the other position was transubstantiation, which seemed like a case of "pretend what your senses are telling you is not true." After giving it some thought and doing some debating, I discovered a way I could accept the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist.

Granted that Jesus as God became Incarnate, and as God has complete control over His Creation, if He declares 'x' to be His body, then it is (at least part of) His body. When He said, "This do in remembrance of Me," He gave His apostles the authority to do the same.

I hesitantly offered that up for discussion, hoping that those who advocated the Real Presence would shoot it down. To my distress, they did not.
          Just the same, thank you for your reply on this matter.
          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

What convinces you that the Orthodox Church is the true church? Being raised Orhtodox? Being a convert to Orthodox?
            I'm a convert. My journey to Orthodoxy was a result of 4 big questions: What is the Church? What is Salvation? What is Communion? What is Baptism? There are a ton of smaller questions that follow those but ultimately after investigating and talking with Orthodox and Protestants and attending services I came to the conclusion that the Orthodox Church is the Church that Christ himself founded.

edit: spelling
            "Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy."
            -Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig
              It featured a spot where the choir emulates the crowd shouting for Jesus' crucifixion. They were really getting into it; I was revolted. I had determined to at least stick it out there until after the cantata so wouldn't let down the choir director, but I could not stomach being a part of that performance.
              Originally posted by 37818
              If you would please, explain how your view changed on this one issue.

How did your view change on John 6:53, 54? (contexts which include John 6:35, 37, 44-45, 47, 63-65. 70-71, . . .) How from not referring to the Eucharist to the interpretation that is does?

And on the Lord's table, as the Eucharist, in,
              Also 1 Corinthians 10:. . . 17, 1 Corinthians 11:. . . 23-26 . . . , Luke 22:19-21 [John 6:70-71].
              Originally posted by 37818
              But I am interested as to how one comes to this belief.
              ismerelyAnamnēsin is one of several Greek words that the Church Fathers Christianized by sort of co-opting it and filling it out with a deeper meaning than what it had in secular Greek writing because there were concepts that Christians wanted to convey for which they needed to find words. So what this word means to Christian writers is to remember or re-collect an occurrence in such a way that the occurrence is made truly present.youtrogo or trogon,gnaw onactuallyaftersarxmerelyHereis the blood of Christ. The bread isisremembrance really means makes this passage evidence formerelyphage and trogonmost of the ECF believe and teach?) Catholic apologists pretty much curb-stomp their opponents in this area, and there are any number of articles which have compiled dozens of quotes from a large number of ECF. Here are a couple of them from Catholic Answers:

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/christ-in-the-eucharist
              http://www.catholic.com/tracts/the-real-presencehttp://onefold.wordpress.com/early-c...real-presence/entire Church prior to the Reformation uniformly taught Real Presence is some sort of addition to primitive Christianity that gradually sprung up somehow; I think it was that way from the beginning (biblical exegesis, the ECF, and historical things like the fact that first century Christians were accused of being cannibals all point to this). So the entirewithout ceasing to be bread and wine

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow View Post
                ismerelyAnamnēsin is one of several Greek words that the Church Fathers Christianized by sort of co-opting it and filling it out with a deeper meaning than what it had in secular Greek writing because there were concepts that Christians wanted to convey for which they needed to find words. So what this word means to Christian writers is to remember or re-collect an occurrence in such a way that the occurrence is made truly present.youtrogo or trogon,gnaw onactuallyaftersarxmerelyHereis the blood of Christ. The bread isisremembrance really means makes this passage evidence formerelyphage and trogonmost of the ECF believe and teach?) Catholic apologists pretty much curb-stomp their opponents in this area, and there are any number of articles which have compiled dozens of quotes from a large number of ECF. Here are a couple of them from Catholic Answers:

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/christ-in-the-eucharist
                http://www.catholic.com/tracts/the-real-presencehttp://onefold.wordpress.com/early-c...real-presence/entire Church prior to the Reformation uniformly taught Real Presence is some sort of addition to primitive Christianity that gradually sprung up somehow; I think it was that way from the beginning (biblical exegesis, the ECF, and historical things like the fact that first century Christians were accused of being cannibals all point to this). So the entirewithout ceasing to be bread and wine
                Might I suggest the Reader's Digest Version next time?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Comment

And literally gouge our eyeballs out?

I think that's a stretch - like the 12 stones after crossing the Jordan - they were a "memorial" to remind people to tell the story to their children and grandchildren.

Thanks for the Reader's Digest Version, Sparrow.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Spiritual rather than physical? E.g., food for the spirit.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke
                        And literally gouge our eyeballs out?
                        If your right eye causes you to sin,
                        Originally posted by Cow Poke
                        I think that's a stretch - like the 12 stones after crossing the Jordan - they were a "memorial" to remind people to tell the story to their children and grandchildren.
                        anamnesinevery
                        Within the limits of those excluded extremes was the doctrine of the real presence. Fundamental to that doctrine was the liturgical recollection (anamnesin) of Christ.But in the act of remembrance the worshiping congregation believed Christ himself to be present among them. That he was also present among them apart from the Eucharist, they affirmed on the basis of such promises as Matthew 18:20, which Clement of Alexandria applied to matrimony, and Matthew 28:20, which Origen cited against Celsus as proof that the presence of God and Christ was not spatial. Yet the adoration of Christ in the Eucharist through the words and actions of the liturgy seems to have presupposed that this was a special presence, neither distinct from not merely illustrative of his presence in the Church.
                        From Jaroslav Pelikan, The Christian Tradition: A History of the Development of Doctrine 1: The Emergence of Catholic Tradition (100-600), pp. 165-166. Emphasis mine.

Comment

What convinces you that the Orthodox Church is the true church? Being raised Orhtodox? Being a convert to Orthodox?
                          I found a gentleness when approaching human brokenness in the East that wasn't always present in the West and a simplicity in following Christ that was not found among some protestants, and a peacefulness in the ancient liturgy. I used to like Roman Catholicism and studied it a bit. I was a high church Protestant transplant into Evangelical Christianity (not necessarily my style). Beyond that, depends what kind of answer you are looking for. I am Oriental Orthodox.
                          I am become death...

Comment

Originally posted by Anastasia Dragule View Post
                            I found a gentleness when approaching human brokenness in the East that wasn't always present in the West and a simplicity in following Christ that was not found among some protestants, and a peacefulness in the ancient liturgy. I used to like Roman Catholicism and studied it a bit. I was a high church Protestant transplant into Evangelical Christianity (not necessarily my style). Beyond that, depends what kind of answer you are looking for. I am Oriental Orthodox.
                            What do you understand it to mean to follow Christ in its simplicity? In your steps, Roman Catholic, high church Protestant, Evangelical Christianity and now Oriental Orthodox. What truths did you discover true and not true each step of the way?

At any point do you know that you have eternal life (1 John 5:1, 12, 13) and know you will go to heaven (2 Corinthians 5:8)? At what point?
                            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

for Ana
                              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

What do you understand it to mean to follow Christ in its simplicity? In your steps, Roman Catholic, high church Protestant, Evangelical Christianity and now Oriental Orthodox. What truths did you discover true and not true each step of the way?

At any point do you know that you have eternal life (1 John 5:1, 12, 13) and know you will go to heaven (2 Corinthians 5:8)? At what point?
                                I was never Catholic. I grew up high church Protestant, but I was attracted to Catholicism after seeing a wedding as a child. I guess you just have to have faith that you are saved and seek to live for God. I never had some ah ha moment of suddenly knowing I was saved. In fact, I am less certain of my own sanctification now and more certain of trusting God's grace for salvation now. I did not choose to be evangelical or non-denominational, but I followed my family and where I could get a ride to church in college outside of on-campus Mass (after all, I was Protestant, not a papist and stuff like that) and I tried to do the good Christian thing in a Calvary Chapel or Campus Crusade-like feeding (minus participating in Campus Crusade evangelism). After studying Catholicism a bit more on my own and even considered if I married a Catholic possibly converting.

So... years failing to live up to God's mark, to the purity and holiness of heart, mind, and deed that a person ought and shame at self for hidden failure that was never discussed in genuine fellowship, add this passion for God that I don't seem to have that a Christian ought, a lack of emotional high most of the time from folksy praise songs, for a time a potential coming loss of someone dear, a great change and uncertainty in life, and an outside cause to have come to study and consider more the reason why we believe not simply doctrines but whole faiths as we do, add a recent lack of worship/fellowship, and consider my own failure in light of the scripture in which Jesus says "if you love Me, keep my commands." This was the last time I really felt like I could agree with sola scriptura and left a question of where I fit with this Western paradigm of salvation. Add also some disconnect from the Christian bubble, in which I btw lived all of my youth, as I don't think that moderate drinking, cussing in and of itself (the words alone as opposed to the state of heart or the witness which is more a matter of meaning and discernment than a blanket rule against (not unlike how cuss words themselves were considered of a lower social class originally, and I heard were much rarer in the more educated folk officially serving within the church)), and occasional jokes about human sexuality or acknowledgement a slightly less puritanical approach to human sexuality that it is inherently sinful and bad unless you completely ignore it until you have your wedding.

If God is good and loving, He must be a God of life, where our only hope for salvation really is hope and not fear. If I am damned already, there is little point of devotion, general morality sure but not devotion. There must thus be a better way of understanding God. There must be an order throughout the universe including us if we consider how it is made, and given sin and that Christ is the only the only historically verifiable savior, then He must be true. In Orthodoxy, our salvation is less about God needing a sacrifice to keep Him from damning our sinful rears and more reaching down to help us in our sinfulness and shortcomings so that we may become Holy. That is a greater salvation than redemption alone.

I do have some Messianic sympathies because I think they can express theology well, but for a few doctrines. I reject a complete rejection of tradition because while it may become vain to those who do not approach it right, it is also a tangible thing that we can do to remind ourselves that we seek God, even if everything else says we might as well be condemned and every time we worship again in that way, it's a new start humbling ourselves before the Lord, in words that are true wherever we are, in praise of God not as much proclaiming how great creation is to a folk song or singing how sappy we feel at being saved but simply how great He is-that is more real worship to me. A theology graduate from another forum years ago once answered a question that with studying theology, the more she learned, the less she knew. I think I appreciate that sentiment more, but I think that makes our faith more as I have understood faith because real faith survives testing and isn't afraid of being questions. If I really want to know God, I want to know what He wants beyond some American/Democrat/Republican cultural construct that takes on more than Bible says but ignores what might be learned of those gone by or demands conformity to share grace.
                                Last edited by Ana Dragule; 04-20-2015, 06:26 PM.
                                I am become death...

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X