Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump Administration Whistleblower Cover-Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
    We do not know what the whistleblower knows or what information they have directly seen. Even the relevant congressional committees don't know because the Trump administration is flouting the law that requires the DNI to send the complaint to them.
    Doesn't seem to stop the left from claiming they know
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      Where's the evidence that he is doing any of this?
      Apart from both Trump and Giuliani directly saying that they pressed Ukrainian officials to investigate Joe & Hunter Biden, there have been numerous investigative articles in the past week. The Washington Post dropped a big one last night.

But that's why the word "allegedly" was used; the evidence substantiating the reporting is largely unavailable. What we have is what we know from the months of reporting on Giuliani's attempts to get Ukraine to investigate the Bidens, senators' statements regarding their discussions with Ukrainian officials concerning the stalled funding, etc. The whistleblower complaint supposedly contains enough evidence that the ICIG reviewed it and deemed it credible and urgent.

So what we have now is a pattern of behavior appearing to repeat itself and a potentially impeachable act. That's enough to start an investigation and see where it leads.

--Sam
      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

People who pay attention to these things know the names Solomon, Schweizer, and Bannon by sight and treat their accusations accordingly. If and when legitimate sources make and detail accusations, that's the time to treat the two events as similar.

Regardless, you've go the timeline wrong on Biden & Shokin -- Shokin was not "going to investigate [Biden's] son" but had opened an investigation into Burisma Group in 2014 and allegedly leveraged that into a profitable extortion; numerous Ukrainian sources have confirmed there was no active or pending investigation in 2016.

What Trump did and is doing now -- allegedly withholding funding against the advice of his NSA explicitly for the purpose of compelling a foreign government to investigate and implicate his political rival (by proxy), allegedly directing senior staff to fabricate an alternate reason the funds were being withheld, and suppressing a whistleblower complaint pertaining to his activities -- is dramatically unlike anything we've seen since Nixon.

Getting the story right necessitates knowing who's purposefully and repeatedly trying to tell the story wrong.

--Sam
        well if we go with your version of events above, we have the guy extorting Hunter's company (which means he had some dirt on them) and Biden using his influence to get the guy fired and off of his son's back. Same situation, different details.

Not to mention Biden helping his son get set up in the first place and get paid 1.5 Billion by Ukraine and China. And Hunter's partners were Senator Kerry's stepson and notorious mobster Whitey Bulger's nephew - This whole thing stinks from the ground up.

And we have Biden bragging about it on video.

compared to nothing but rumors about Trump.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          well if we go with your events above, we have the guy extorting Hunter's company (which means he had some dirt on them) and Biden using his influence to get the guy fired and off of his son's back. Same situation, different details.

Not to mention Biden helping his son get set up in the first place and get paid 1.5 Billion by Ukraine and China. And Hunter's partners were Senator Kerry's stepson and notorious mobster Whitey Bulger's, Nephew - This whole thing stinks from the ground up.

And we have Biden bragging about it on video.

compared to nothing but rumors about Trump.

As I noted earlier, if Shokin did have dirt on Hunter Biden, then it would not make sense for Joe Biden to be the point man in getting him fired. Since Shokin could easily expose his son. Biden would've wanted to use his position to protect the prosecutor and not have him fired (risking exposure) and replaced with a non-corrupt prosecutor (again, risking exposure).

What we have with Hunter Biden, by the evidence, is a case of crony capitalism, as Juvanel notes. That stinks, yes - - just like it does for Trump's children and any number of other elite offspring of powerful people. We should end it. But it's not evidence, of itself, of an illegal act.

--Sam
          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
            Things are settling down remarkably under our new chair, who is still benefiting from a novel aura best described as, "Thank God she's not crazy." As someone who actually hired her in the past for an adjunct position at another university, I'd say she's much better than that, but a low bar is a low bar.

My own classes ... hmm, put it this way ... I've just bought a dozen calculators on eBay, with another half dozen bids that should close this week ... which probably says it all. These kids are not privileged. But they're my kids, and I'm going to do whatever is necessary to help them, so help me God.
            Hope the calculators arrive and the kids use 'em well. If you have any expenses like that you don't mind help funding, I'd love to hear about them and have a chance to help.

--Sam

Comment

Regardless, you've go the timeline wrong on Biden & Shokin -- Shokin was not "going to investigate [Biden's] son" but had opened an investigation into Burisma Group in 2014 and allegedly leveraged that into a profitable extortion; numerous Ukrainian sources have confirmed there was no active or pending investigation in 2016.
              As I've pointed out to you already, according to official Ukrainian government documents and Shokin himself, the investigation was active, and they were planning to move against Hunter Biden when daddy came to the rescue.

The general prosecutor’s official file for the Burisma probe — shared with me by senior Ukrainian officials — shows prosecutors identified Hunter Biden, business partner Devon Archer and their firm, Rosemont Seneca, as potential recipients of money.

Shokin told me in written answers to questions that, before he was fired as general prosecutor, he had made “specific plans” for the investigation that “included interrogations and other crime-investigation procedures into all members of the executive board, including Hunter Biden.”

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-ho...obe-is-revived

You better get up to speed on this stuff because Trump has ordered the releases of the phonecall transcript, which means that Biden extorting the Ukrainian government to drop an investigation against his son will be the only thing left to talk about.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Apart from both Trump and Giuliani directly saying that they pressed Ukrainian officials to investigate Joe & Hunter Biden, there have been numerous investigative articles in the past week. The Washington Post dropped a big one last night.

But that's why the word "allegedly" was used; the evidence substantiating the reporting is largely unavailable. What we have is what we know from the months of reporting on Giuliani's attempts to get Ukraine to investigate the Bidens, senators' statements regarding their discussions with Ukrainian officials concerning the stalled funding, etc. The whistleblower complaint supposedly contains enough evidence that the ICIG reviewed it and deemed it credible and urgent.

So what we have now is a pattern of behavior appearing to repeat itself and a potentially impeachable act. That's enough to start an investigation and see where it leads.

--Sam
                Again, where is the evidence of the quid-pro-quo?
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

As I noted earlier, if Shokin did have dirt on Hunter Biden, then it would not make sense for Joe Biden to be the point man in getting him fired. Since Shokin could easily expose his son. Biden would've wanted to use his position to protect the prosecutor and not have him fired (risking exposure) and replaced with a non-corrupt prosecutor (again, risking exposure).

What we have with Hunter Biden, by the evidence, is a case of crony capitalism, as Juvanel notes. That stinks, yes - - just like it does for Trump's children and any number of other elite offspring of powerful people. We should end it. But it's not evidence, of itself, of an illegal act.

--Sam
                  Him using his power to get a foreign country to basically 'hire' his son and friends is not illegal? And then using his power and status as VP to blackmail the Ukraine into firing this prosecutor isn't illegal either? Wow. You guys sure have a different set of standards when it comes to your guys than when it comes to Trump.

If Trump had gotten Putin to do business with his son, the democrats would be screaming bloody murder.

Also if this prosecutor wasn't going after Biden's son, then what business was it of Biden's in the first place to tell a foreign country that they need to fire some prosecutor or not get money from the US? That would be an internal affair that would be of no interest to Biden.

Comment

• um you are posting in the wrong thread Leon.

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...-CO2-into-fuel

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      Him using his power to get a foreign country to basically 'hire' his son and friends is not illegal? And then using his power and status as VP to blackmail the Ukraine into firing this prosecutor isn't illegal either? Wow. You guys sure have a different set of standards when it comes to your guys than when it comes to Trump.

If Trump had gotten Putin to do business with his son, the democrats would be screaming bloody murder.

Also if this prosecutor wasn't going after Biden's son, then what business was it of Biden's in the first place to tell a foreign country that they need to fire some prosecutor or not get money from the US? That would be an internal affair that would be of no interest to Biden.
                      I ... don't think you understand that Biden was the vice president at the time and advancing the Obama administration's official position toward Ukraine, in response to an international incident where Shokin was hampering a UK probe into ... the Burisma Group. Had Biden a personal interest in hiding family corruption, it would be unwise to be the point man on the Obama administration's attempt to get Shokin fired for, among many things, not allowing that investigation to go forward.

If you have any actual tangible, non-"Clinton Cash" evidence of Biden using his position to get his children hired (as opposed to his son using the Biden name to get a cushy hire), that'd be news. As of the moment, it doesn't publicly exist.

--Sam

Comment

If you have any actual tangible, non-"Clinton Cash" evidence...
                        Translation: "If we discount the evidence showing that the accusations are true, then what evidence do we have to show that the accusations are true?"

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          You proclaimed that Biden was sent by the Obama Administration because they didn't think that a prosecutor was moving quick enough at prosecuting corruption cases. And Biden threatened to cut off aid to the country unless the prosecutor they didn't like was fired.
                          That's not interfering in their politics. The entire western world including the IMF wanted the Ukrainian government to crack down on the rampant corruption of which the Prosecutor General, Shokin, was known to be a main participant in. Biden was sent over there because Shokin was a participant in that corruption rather than a prosecutor of it. The west didn't want to give aid to an ally where there was so much corruption, and that was the message that Biden was sent to deliver. Trump was simply trying to shift the narrative from his own corruption by trying to extort the Ukranian government into investigating and implicating his possible political opponent by threatening to withhold nearly 400 million in military aid appropriated by Congress, aid that they desperately needed to defend their eastern border from both, our adversary and theirs, Russia, and Trumps buddy Putin.
                          Now the wannabe dictator is, finally, formally facing impeachment!

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            If there is a case for extortion it would be Biden threatening to hold back something like a billion dollars in aid unless the prosecutor that was just happening to be investigating his son and the company he worked for was fired.
                            Yeah, except the Prosecutor was a crook himself, an extorter himself, which is why the west, including the IMF, was demanding his firing. And no, as much as you wish it were the case, he wasn't investigating Bidens son.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                              Maybe Barr will be impeached afore Trump.
                              He definitely has to go, he's another traitor in that he is covering up for the treasonous president.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                                And no, as much as you wish it were the case, he wasn't investigating Bidens son.
                                According to the Ukrainian government and the prosecutor himself, Hunter Biden was specifically named in the investigation.

The general prosecutor’s official file for the Burisma probe — shared with me by senior Ukrainian officials — shows prosecutors identified Hunter Biden, business partner Devon Archer and their firm, Rosemont Seneca, as potential recipients of money.

Shokin told me in written answers to questions that, before he was fired as general prosecutor, he had made “specific plans” for the investigation that “included interrogations and other crime-investigation procedures into all members of the executive board, including Hunter Biden.”

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-ho...obe-is-revived

Comment