Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump Administration Whistleblower Cover-Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    ISTM we need to question the Constitutionality of protections for even "real" whistleblowers. Trump was right: He has -- or at least *should* have -- the right to confront his accuser(s).
    In a criminal proceeding, he does -- though, as mentioned earlier, the right is not absolute.

But Trump is not yet a defendant in a criminal proceeding and the whistleblower is not an "accuser" in any sense that would have legal weight. If a bank employee provides the FBI a ledger showing that the manager has been stealing from the till, the ledger is evidence and the manager doesn't necessarily have any right to face the employee who provided the ledger in court.

If Trump wants to bring a libel case against the whistleblower, let him. The truth of an allegation is a powerful defense and Trump couldn't very well complain about Zaid and Bakaj getting access to all sorts of documents and depositions in discovery.

--Sam
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      The Senate sets its own trial rules - or had you forgotten?

The protection from reprisal doesn't overrule the Sixth Amendment.

The House can't control the Senate - any courtesy (like extending whistle blower protection despite violation of the statute) extended by the House IS NOT BINDING on the Senate.

The removal of a duly elected President requires transparency. No, if the House brings articles, there WILL BE an open trial and the accused WILL get the chance to face his accusers. And the American people will bear witness - no stupid camera tricks; for that you have to establish a danger to the witnesses life - which seriously undermines the credibility of CIA assigned to the White House.

The Dems can't have it only their way - there had better be some sunlight soon or people are going to start smelling the Dems' rat.

Since this pertains to the discussion and since you don't wish me to post in the new thread you made (don't think you can ban people from threads in the OP, by memory), I'll put it here.

You say that impeachment trials are criminal trials but this has not been the standard throughout the history of impeachment, as the Congressional Research Service's report on the subject explains. While some have argued that impeachment is a criminal trial, others have pointed to case law that establishes criminal convictions as depriving a person of "life, liberty, and property". The standard of proof for impeachment, likewise, has changed throughout history and between senators, with some applying the standard of beyond a reasonable doubt and others applying a lower standard like preponderance of evidence.

There is, in other words, no set standard and no set category for impeachment. By historical standards, then, impeachment trials cannot be criminal trials, whatever else one might call them.

Source: CRS Report for Congress. Standard of Proof in Senate Impeachment Proceedings. Thomas B. Ripy. Legislative Attorney. American Law Division

In sum, the Senate has traditionally left the choice of the applicable standard of proof to each individual Senator. While rejecting a motion to make the criminal standard the standard in the Claiborne impeachment, the discussion made clear that it was simply a decision to allow each member to make that choice and not a repudiation of the standard itself. Individuals might apply that or any other standard of their choice. A walk through history and an examination of the discussions of legal commentators may aid individuals in weighing their choices, but provides no definitive answers. Indeed, such an exercise is perhaps most useful in highlighting basic questions that members will want to ask themselves when searching for the appropriate standard.

© Copyright Original Source

--Sam
      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
        ISTM we need to question the Constitutionality of protections for even "real" whistleblowers. Trump was right: He has -- or at least *should* have -- the right to confront his accuser(s).
        The Constitution treats impeachment as a criminal trial in two separate sections. No where does it exclude impeachment from Due Process or the Sixth Amendment.

Politically, failing to produce witnesses or to grant due process would be suicide.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
          --Sam
          Did you say something?
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
            Originally posted by Bill the Cat
            I knew which one you were inferring, but I find it better to pin you guys down when you are specific in writing.
            US Ethics laws.
            But you don't want to be pinned down yourself, do you.

Which US ethics law or statute is Biden suspected of breaking?
            Unanswered.

Multiple Donald Trump defenders have demanded that people quote the exact statute that Trump has allegedly broken.

But they won't do the same for Joe Biden's alleged offences.
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Unanswered.

Multiple Donald Trump defenders have demanded that people quote the exact statute that Trump has allegedly broken.

Interesting.
              "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Unanswered.

Not to mention the fact that the breaking of a law is not necessary in order that a president commit an impeachable action. Abuse of power is impeachable, though not necessarily a criminal act. Besides that, there was a quid pro quo with respect to Ukraine, and it's in writing and it's signed by Zelenski.

Comment

Unanswered. .
                  Sorry. I was spending time with my daughters and my in-laws this weekend, and my TWeb time was very limited. And to be quite frank, I don't care any more. It's not like my comments will change any of your minds...
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    Sorry. I was spending time with my daughters and my in-laws this weekend, and my TWeb time was very limited. And to be quite frank, I don't care any more. It's not like my comments will change any of your minds...
                    They will not if you cannot support them or provide yourself what you ask others to provide.

And here is what you left out of Roy's post:

Last edited by Charles; 10-07-2019, 09:19 AM.
                    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                      They will not if you cannot support them or provide yourself what you ask others to provide.
                      Won't even when he does, Mr Snarky-Case-in-Point.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

And here is what you left out of JimL's post:
                        I. Don't. Care.
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          Won't even when he does, Mr Snarky-Case-in-Point.
                          Since he has not supported it we don't know in this case. I think it is quite fair to point out that BTC asked others of something he is unwilling or perhaps simply incapable of doing himself... If you feel like you are called to support that, feel free.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              I care even less what you have to say, hack.
                              That's what
                              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Since he has not supported it we don't know in this case. I think it is quite fair to point out that BTC asked others of something he is unwilling or perhaps simply incapable of doing himself... If you feel like you are called to support that, feel free.
                                In another thread.

I haven't made the argument, but Biden admitted to doing what Trump denies doing.

It's still not my argument - and we both know you wouldn't cede the point even if someone did prove it.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment