Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump Administration Whistleblower Cover-Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Is asking a foreign government to look into your political opponent's suspicious conduct a sin?
    Yes in that

(1) it violates his oath* of office: "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

because:

(2) it violates the emoluments clause.

The Foreign Emoluments Clause (art. I, § 9, cl. 8):
    “[N]o Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under
    [the United States], shall, without the Consent of the
    Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or
    Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or
    foreign State.

Jim

* This follows from 'Thou shalt not lie". An oath unkept is then a lie.
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 09-20-2019, 01:55 PM.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      Yes in that

(1) it violates his oath of office: "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

because:

foreign State.

Jim
      I wouldn't recommend anyone go to the school of law that applies this constitution clause to all discussions of US Presidents with foreign countries.

Comment

Yes in that

(1) it violates his oath of office: "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

because:

foreign State.

Jim
        So Biden shutting down an investigation where his son was involved in a foreign country by threatening to with hold promised aid was OK?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
          I wouldn't recommend anyone go to the school of law that applies this constitution clause to all discussions of US Presidents with foreign countries.
          A 'discussion' is not the point. This is a request for a personal favor where the favor is in fact a 'payment' (emolument) of an investigation into Biden. Such a request obligates the President to the foreign country - hence the reason for the emoluments clause in the first place. The presidents first interest must always be what is best for the US, not himself.

Jim
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            So Biden shutting down an investigation where his son was involved in a foreign country by threatening to with hold promised aid was OK?
            No. Did I ever say anything that implied that? We are not talking about what Biden did or has done, we are talking about what President Trump is doing underhandedly and in ways that compromise the integrity of the office of the President.

If the issue was what Biden did, then the DOJ could directly and in an above board fashion start their own investigation as a law enforment action and work directly with the appropriate entities in those governments.

Jim

Comment

A 'discussion' is not the point. This is a request for a personal favor where the favor is in fact a 'payment' (emolument) of an investigation into Biden. Such a request obligates the President to the foreign country - hence the reason for the emoluments clause in the first place. The presidents first interest must always be what is best for the US, not himself.

Jim

You should be proud of Trump as possibly being the first President in a long time who is acting for the benefit of the people of the US.

Our big problem now is congress members who become multimillionaires after a short stint in Congress.

How come your priorities seem to be unaligned to the actual problems?

It is good that the Hunter Biden controversy is again being discussed.

Comment

Yes in that

(1) it violates his oath* of office: "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

because:

foreign State.

Jim

* This follows from 'Thou shalt not lie". An oath unkept is then a lie.
                And... what does any of that have to do with Trump (allegedly) asking a foreign government to look into the suspicious activities of a former vice president who pressured the government in question to quash a legal investigation that could have proved financially ruinous to his son?
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

This is a request for a personal favor where the favor is in fact a 'payment' (emolument) of an investigation into Biden.
                  This is how you're interpreting it?

Seriously?
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

No. Did I ever say anything that implied that? We are not talking about what Biden did or has done, we are talking about what President Trump is doing underhandedly and in ways that compromise the integrity of the office of the President.

If the issue was what Biden did, then the DOJ could directly and in an above board fashion start their own investigation as a law enforment action and work directly with the appropriate entities in those governments.

Jim
                    You are making a big assumption regarding the idea that the "DOJ could directly and in an above board fashion start their own investigation."

Comment

"Blockbuster reporting" on this coming in the next few minute!

Trump Repeatedly Pressed Ukraine President to Investigate Biden’s Son
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

[...]Did I ever say anything that implied that? [...]
                        No. It seems the aim was to focus on something else...
                        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          "Blockbuster reporting" on this coming in the next few minute!

Trump Repeatedly Pressed Ukraine President to Investigate Biden’s Son
                          Yep and so????
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Yep and so????
                            I was flipping channels and Sheperd Smith was breathlessly promising BLOCKBUSTER REPORT...... (I'm still waiting, but right now, they're covering somebody driving an SUV through a mall in Schaumburg, IL.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              I was flipping channels and Sheperd Smith was breathlessly promising BLOCKBUSTER REPORT...... (I'm still waiting, but right now, they're covering somebody driving an SUV through a mall in Schaumburg, IL.
                              SUV? Is anyone hurt?

Comment

SUV? Is anyone hurt?
                                Apparently, they thought this was gonna be a "mow people down" thing, but it seems that damage was done to some displays and kiosks, driver is in custody, and I have not heard of any injuries.
                                Last edited by Cow Poke; 09-20-2019, 03:14 PM.

Comment