Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump Administration Whistleblower Cover-Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Well, it's a good thing there was and is justifiable predicate.

The quid-pro-quo. You can't be so ignorant as to not know Biden admitted it....

Oh, you mean like the Attorney General working with Ukraine to reopen the investigation that got prematurely closed? Oh, that's right... Trump had suggested that on the phone call.
    USA and Ukraine have a mutual legal assistance treaty (MLAT) that specifies how legal assistance is to be shared between countries. It does not involve AG Barr jet-setting off to various countries outside the normal channels.

There is no predicate for investigating Biden. There is no credible allegation that his participating in the bi-partisan and international effort to oust a corrupt prosecutor was tied to any family affairs. It's an allegation, certainly, but an as-of-yet unsubstantiated one.

But, hey, if that's the standard y'all want to use then we're going to have some investigations opened up on Trump's foreign policy dealings everywhere his children have been cutting deals with government-connected companies, right?

... right? ... guys?

--Sam
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Investigating potentially illegal activity is not a contribution.
      Campaign finance laws have never been interpreted the way you are trying to do.
      Providing the results of an investigation obviously is a contribution. I'm amazed at the lengths you lot go to deny the obvious, and how oblivious you are to the transparency of your excuses.

Oh, and you have failed to support your claim that that law excepts cases of suspected illegality.
      I knew which one you were inferring, but I find it better to pin you guys down when you are specific in writing.
      US Ethics laws.
      But you don't want to be pinned down yourself, do you.

Which US ethics law or statute is Biden suspected of breaking?
      Last edited by Roy; 10-04-2019, 03:42 PM.
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Seriously? His campaign was found guilty of massive campaign financing violations and had to pay one of the largest fines ever issued against a presidential campaign by the FEC -- $375,000.

What sort of comparable fines have been levied against Trump or his campaign.
        Not so.

Election Law Violations Compared: Obama 2008 vs. Trump 2016

https://www.snopes.com/news/2018/08/...vs-trump-2016/

"The infractions committed by the 2008 Obama campaign were not alleged to be intentional, and the FEC did not consider the campaign’s documentation lapses as rising to the level of a “serious” offense prosecutable by the Department of Justice".

“Obama’s civil FEC infractions, while they resulted in a large fine, are legally distinct from what Cohen pled guilty to, which is the intentional commission of felonies [on behalf of Trump] intended to affect the outcome of a federal election”.

“Federal Election Commission violations are a civil matter, while Michael Cohen is guilty of multiple felonies.”
        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Multiple new clients for Bakaj & Zaid, the attorneys representing the whistleblower.

Image 046.jpg
          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• And that none of them have come forward publicly...
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              And that none of them have come forward publicly...

Didn't you join the argument recently that the first whistleblower probably broke the law because they talked to someone other than ICIG and didn't adhere to (a wrong interpretation of) the ICWPA?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                Multiple new clients for Bakaj & Zaid, the attorneys representing the whistleblower.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40112[/ATTACH]

The transcript of the phonecall is already public, and it shows that nothing illegal or even mildly improper transpired. We have testimony and public statements from former Special Envoy to the Ukraine Kurt Volker, and it doesn't track with the liberal narrative:

"[A]t no time was I aware of or took part in an effort to urge Ukraine to investigate former Vice President Biden."

"As you will see from the extensive text messages I am providing, which convey a sense of real-time dialogue with several different actors, Vice President Biden was never a topic of discussion."

"I did not discuss the hold [of military aid] with my Ukrainian counterparts until the matter became public in late August."

So I'm not sure what these whistleblowers/spies are going to be able to reveal at this point that hasn't already been refuted by publicly available information.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Multiple new clients for Bakaj & Zaid, the attorneys representing the whistleblower.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40112[/ATTACH]
                  Nothing burgers in the window. Pick 'em up!
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Nothing burgers in the window. Pick 'em up!

We have established, I think, that for some here there is no bottom - everything is a "nothing burger" because that would entail, for them, a moral quandary or simply a loss.

That established, we usually don't see multiple employees of the intelligence lining up to file complaints with the ICIG, nor do we see such explicit evidence of a President bending the State Dept & DOJ to use foreign policy as leverage for the President's personal gain.

I'm sure the denials will continue. History tells us they always will, right up to the end.

--Sam

Comment

We have established...
                      You, Jimmy OG, AND Jimmy Loser may ha e established something, but an agreement between you 3 leftists does not a fact make.
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Didn't you join the argument recently that the first whistleblower probably broke the law because they talked to someone other than ICIG and didn't adhere to (a wrong interpretation of) the ICWPA?
                        I demonstrated reading comprehension that you were unable to do - probably because you mistook purpose for specific section in the statute. The first guy isn't a whistleblower - he isn't entitled to protection from a statute he/she violated.

So, ya got no argument against the obvious issue that two weeks in we still have no named accusers, huh? Obviously not since you attack me with your pretentiously declared victory instead of addressing the point.

Reality is beginning to set in - if no one goes on record with credible firsthand testimony this latest circus is gonna collapse, too.
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          I demonstrated reading comprehension that you were unable to do - probably because you mistook purpose for specific section in the statute. The first guy isn't a whistleblower - he isn't entitled to protection from a statute he/she violated.

So, ya got no argument against the obvious issue that two weeks in we still have no named accusers, huh? Obviously not since you attack me with your pretentiously declared victory instead of addressing the point.

Reality is beginning to set in - if no one goes on record with credible firsthand testimony this latest circus is gonna collapse, too.

The torturous reading y'all were trying to use of ICWPA has been dealt with, both in regards to the statutory context, the legislative history, and the opinion of the Trump-appointed officials in charge of enforcing the statute. Screaming against the wind on that one.

"No named accusers" is a rather absurd hill to die on when the ICIG is known and has the actual, real-life job of fielding these complaints to determine their credibility while shielding the people making the complaints from political reprisal ... say by a President who has called them traitors and spies.

The ICIG determined that the original whistleblower's complaint was both 1) credible and 2) included firsthand knowledge of elements of the complaint. Recall that the complaint contains more than just the summary transcript of Trump's call, some still classified and redacted.

At the very least, y'all need to keep yourselves in a straight line: if the first whistleblower isn't a "real" whistleblower, entitled to legal protection, because they talked about the complaint with someone that wasn't the ICIG, on what basis are you complaining that the new whistleblowers aren't making their complaints in public?

What, in your opinion, should someone with classified information of an administration's abuse be doing in this situation?

--Sam

Comment

What, in your opinion, should someone with classified information of an administration's abuse be doing in this situation?

--Sam
                            Cutting out the indignant, and pretentious, bluster...

Following the law as set out in the statute. Going first to the IG exactly as stated in the statute.

IF, and only if, that fails and the whistle blower is convinced that the allegation needs to be made public, the next stop is a court. Let a judge over rule the IG - or decide not to - rather than playing self righteously stupid.

Now, what about the/these other 'whistle blowers'? Why haven't they filed complaints or come forward?

They are still hiding in the dark. Why? It's way too late to argue they fear reprisal - according (only) to you, the first one is protected by statute - so why hasn't he come forward at least?
                            Last edited by Teallaura; 10-06-2019, 12:55 PM.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Actually, the ICWPA directs that a whistleblower go to Congress, not court, with the complaint if the ICIG doesn't refer the matter up the chain. "Coming forward" (i.e., "going public") with classified information is exactly the conduct that ICWPA was created to prevent.

So often now, I'm getting my posts cropped by people complaining that it's "tripe" or "bluster" who go on to make false statements of fact. Weird!

Any road, NYT on the new whistleblower folk:

Source: Legal Team Says It Represents a Second Whistle-Blower Over Trump and Ukraine. Annie Karni. NYT. 2019.10.06

Mr. Zaid confirmed a report by the ABC News anchor George Stephanopoulos on his show, “This Week,” which said the new whistle-blower had already been interviewed by the intelligence community’s inspector general’s office, but had not yet communicated with any congressional committees.

Another member of the legal team confirmed on Twitter that the firm was now representing “multiple whistleblowers” but declined to comment further.

© Copyright Original Source

One of the new persons appears to be an employee the ICIG had interviewed to determine the credibility of the first complaint -- in other words, one of the people Trump was calling a "spy" (and you know what we did with spies back in the good ol' days, he told the audience). Unclear whether that person has new information past what was previously used for corroboration or whether they'll file their own complaint.

--Sam

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                              Cutting out the indignant, and pretentious, bluster...

Following the law as set out in the statute. Going first to the IG exactly as stated in the statute.

IF, and only if, that fails and the whistle blower is convinced that the allegation needs to be made public, the next stop is a court. Let a judge over rule the IG - or decide not to - rather than playing self righteously stupid.

Now, what about the/these other 'whistle blowers'? Why haven't they filed complaints or come forward?

They are still hiding in the dark. Why? It's way too late to argue they fear reprisal - according (only) to you, the first one is protected by statute - so why hasn't he come forward at least?

Comment

Actually, the ICWPA directs that a whistleblower go to Congress, not court, with the complaint if the ICIG doesn't refer the matter up the chain. "Coming forward" (i.e., "going public") with classified information is exactly the conduct that ICWPA was created to prevent.

So often now, I'm getting my posts cropped by people complaining that it's "tripe" or "bluster" who go on to make false statements of fact. Weird!

Any road, NYT on the new whistleblower folk:

Source: Legal Team Says It Represents a Second Whistle-Blower Over Trump and Ukraine. Annie Karni. NYT. 2019.10.06

Mr. Zaid confirmed a report by the ABC News anchor George Stephanopoulos on his show, “This Week,” which said the new whistle-blower had already been interviewed by the intelligence community’s inspector general’s office, but had not yet communicated with any congressional committees.

Another member of the legal team confirmed on Twitter that the firm was now representing “multiple whistleblowers” but declined to comment further.

© Copyright Original Source

One of the new persons appears to be an employee the ICIG had interviewed to determine the credibility of the first complaint -- in other words, one of the people Trump was calling a "spy" (and you know what we did with spies back in the good ol' days, he told the audience). Unclear whether that person has new information past what was previously used for corroboration or whether they'll file their own complaint.

--Sam
                                Reading comprehension still an issue, huh?

Originally posted by me

That, here, refers to BOTH previous sentences.

YOU are the only one to misrepresent ANYTHING.

Desperation doesn't suit you.

And then you add three paragraphs without ACTUALLY ANSWERING THE QUESTION.

All you've got is bluster.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment