Thread: Important Early Metrics

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Important Early Metrics

It is too early to call the race!!!

But limping is never a good sign...

Modern polling is done with microscopic samples and a careful thumb on the scale. This makes it poor at reading changes in the electorate - people being fickle at the best of times. Even well done polls are only a snapshot of what today is like - it isn't a crystal ball into tomorrow.

There are several factors playing into the current dog and pony show that is the bloated Democrat field heading into traditional campaign season - micro-fundraising is one (my guess it's the biggest factor keeping the field so ridiculously large - the three ring debates didn't help). The complete lack of a solid front runner and the obsession with 'Twitter culture' are others. The result is a fine collection of circus ponies - but no real race horse.

That was fine in January - it's bad news in September.

On the other side, an embattled incumbent - who is daily slaughtered in an increasingly out of touch, mistrusted and largely irrelevant press. The greatest scandal of the past three years has crumbled to nothing. Economic improvements are showing marked effects on the polls measuring voter concerns but ignored by the media. Stalwart supporters cringe every time they look at Twitter. Every week brings a new, colorful and insane controversy. Approval ratings run low - this should be just a show pony, right?

Not quite.

Approval ratings are showing a comeback - but it's a terrible metric so I'll leave it alone.

Here's the one that counts this early in the race - money. The Trump campaign was outperforming the democrats BEFORE he announced - now, the margin has widen to unreal proportions.

2019, Second Quarter:
    Source: Business Insider

The Trump reelection campaign's fundraising in Q2 is a staggering amount. In context, it is almost $30 million greater than then-President Barack Obama's $86 million at the same point in 2011.

© Copyright Original Source

Source: Business Insider

"Our massive fundraising success is a testament to the overwhelming support for President Trump," Trump reelection campaign manager Brad Parscale said in a statement. "No Democrat candidate can match this level of enthusiasm or President Trump's outstanding record of results."

The campaign got a major boost in June from Trump's official announcement that he would be seeking reelection, though that has been apparent for the past two years. In the 24 hours after Trump's rally in Orlando, Florida, the campaign raised $24.8 million.

Democratic presidential candidates have not even come close to that first-day figure. Former Vice President Joe Biden managed to raise $6.3 million within 24 hours of announcing his 2020 run, just slightly ahead of former Texas Rep. Beto O'Rourke at $6.1 million, and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders at $5.9 million.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

That's before he collected $15 million in ONE DAY in CALIFORNIA.

That's a contending race horse coming out of the paddock while the circus ponies are still dancing in the center ring...

Last edited by Teallaura; 09-21-2019 at 02:03 PM.

2. Amen seer amen'd this post.
    radical strawberry
    Faith
    Humanist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    As I say, the only poll that matters is the one that's counted on election day.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

5. Amen Teallaura, Juvenal, Leonhard amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Polling wrt to elections has been wildly off in too many instances in recent years. Look at Brexit, the 2016 election and even the North Carolina special election where the Republican was down by something like 14 to 17 points less than a week out from the vote.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Polling wrt to elections has been wildly off in too many instances in recent years. Look at Brexit, the 2016 election and even the North Carolina special election where the Republican was down by something like 14 to 17 points less than a week out from the vote.
    What do you think is the reason for that?

Jim

radical strawberry
    Faith
    Humanist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Jim
    *ahem*

You shouldn't assume you're responding to a true statement.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post
    *ahem*

You shouldn't assume you're responding to a true statement.
    True.

Jim

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Pretty much.

11. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm curious, how do these numbers stack up compared to the 2012 election, the last time we had an incumbent candidate?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Jim
    Voters covertly voting against candidates they openly say they support because of public stigmas they want to avoid
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).