Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rice. Because when you dont have a job yet food can get expensive.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just made Beef Stroganoff and Sauerbraten in my instant pot.

Here are some sites with Instant Pot recipes:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/collecti...r-instant-pot/
    https://www.hippressurecooking.com/p...ooker-recipes/
    https://www.countryliving.com/food-d...t-pot-recipes/
    https://www.seriouseats.com/roundups...cooker-recipes
    https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/...t-pot-recipes/
    https://thesaltymarshmallow.com/inst...t-pulled-pork/
    https://iwashyoudry.com/category/met...essure-cooker/

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      Don't forget homemade pizza!
      We like the Red Baron thin and crispy pizzas from Walmart - $3.50 each, then add our own black olives, pineapple, extra pepperoni....

And bake them just a few minutes longer than the instructions -- we like them crispy.

Oh, and we also add bacon.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And, bacon.

Winner.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Not winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
          Winner.

Not winner.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

We like the Red Baron thin and crispy pizzas from Walmart - $3.50 each, then add our own black olives, pineapple, extra pepperoni....

And bake them just a few minutes longer than the instructions -- we like them crispy.

The kid makes his own crust. Way better than store bought.

And he has been known to add bacon as well.
            Last edited by mossrose; 05-17-2022, 08:59 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

And he has been known to add bacon as well, if Kasha has been visiting and we have any leftover.
              Usually, if we decide on pizza, it's a pretty spur-of-the-moment thing.

On occasion, we'll have a "family pizza night", in which we do the whole circus - making the crust, everybody can add their own ingredients to "their turf", and have fun.

Come to think of it, we haven't done that in a while, and now that George has returned from slopping hogs, we should have MAKE YOUR OWN PIZZA night again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                It's Indian. Curry spices, lentils, tomatoes, onions and garlic. Made kinda soupy and served with rice.
                There's a mile of restaurants in Chicago devoted to Indopak cuisine. Somewhere on the fourth page, you could probably find one of these I haven't tried.

Best Indian Food Devon Street in Chicago, IL

But the real joy that's Devon is on the north side, across the street from the restaurants, where it's wall to wall Indopak grocery stores.

Yeah, I still miss Chicago.

But no question, if you're looking for cheap eats, you can't do better than cuisine from the largest and least wealthy countries on the planet.

Comment

And he has been known to add bacon as well, if Kasha has been visiting and we have any leftover.
                  I sometimes make pizza using those premade Boboli crusts.

Comment

Usually, if we decide on pizza, it's a pretty spur-of-the-moment thing.

On occasion, we'll have a "family pizza night", in which we do the whole circus - making the crust, everybody can add their own ingredients to "their turf", and have fun.

Come to think of it, we haven't done that in a while, and now that George has returned from slopping hogs, we should have MAKE YOUR OWN PIZZA night again!!!
                    Wednesday has been pizza night here for a long time. But lately MelMak's work schedule has been changing so he occasionally has Tuesday off instead of Wednesday. Change is hard!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      Pfft. Still not homemade crust.

Sometimes we have a crust from the store, too. But not as good as the homemade ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        Those are great, but they're pretty dear, too. But the young man is looking for inexpensive, and you really can't get cheaper than three cups of flour, a cup of water, and a packet of yeast.

Comment

There's a mile of restaurants in Chicago devoted to Indopak cuisine. Somewhere on the fourth page, you could probably find one of these I haven't tried.

Best Indian Food Devon Street in Chicago, IL

But the real joy that's Devon is on the north side, across the street from the restaurants, where it's wall to wall Indopak grocery stores.

Yeah, I still miss Chicago.

But no question, if you're looking for cheap eats, you can't do better than cuisine from the largest and least wealthy countries on the planet.
                          We had an Indian in our company, and she insisted on her Birthday that she bring lunch to work. It was a MAJOR WHOLE SPREAD of ALL KINDS of Indian cuisine. She took great joy in explaining each item, and I made every attempt to try each one. Actually quite good!!! (Our section at that time was about 25 people, and she brought plenty of food (with some of her family assisting) for everybody)

Comment

Those are great, but they're pretty dear, too. But the young man is looking for inexpensive, and you really can't get cheaper than three cups of flour, a cup of water, and a packet of yeast.
                            The biggest variable, of course, is time*.

(yeah, I started to type thyme )

*of course, people would complain that making your own dough takes time, but so does going to the grocery store!

Comment

We had an Indian in our company, and she insisted on her Birthday that she bring lunch to work. It was a MAJOR WHOLE SPREAD of ALL KINDS of Indian cuisine. She took great joy in explaining each item, and I made every attempt to try each one. Actually quite good!!! (Our section at that time was about 25 people, and she brought plenty of food (with some of her family assisting) for everybody)
                              Cuisi-diplomacy! I saw that once while I was teaching at the Art Institute, but from the Saudi contingent.

When I was a flat-broke grad student, I'd hit the all-you-can-eat Indian lunch buffets, yeah, on Devon, and yeah, with some buddy who'd agreed to pick up the tab if I introduced him to some cheap eats! Shame is for folks who can afford it!

Another place you can go for cheap, as in fo' free, eats is the local Krishna temple. I was a regular on Sunday nights when I was living in that apartments-converted-from-a-flophouse building on the north side, because it was walking distance. Those folks see food as a, I dunno, call it a sacrament, and they're highly focused on what foods contribute to what body feeling. They pushed some weird stuff, like avoiding onions and garlic, and vegetarian of course, because Hindu, right? I don't buy any of their "karma free" Sattvic woo, but no question, I'd have a whole body hum for the next couple days.

A little googlin' later, looks like they've really expanded their food diplo since my days.

Next time I'm in town, I'm there.

Comment

The biggest variable, of course, is time*.

(yeah, I started to type thyme )

*of course, people would complain that making your own dough takes time, but so does going to the grocery store!
                                First time I made my own bread, I had Deb (aka Crow here) on the messenger to help me out. I've still got a bread pan she sent me (with bread in it, as part of a care package after Katrina). For pizza dough, it's easy enough to just let it rise in the fridge overnight, or even ... I haven't done this, but it was standard at Giordano's, an upscale pizza joint I worked as an undergrad ... put whole sheaves of loaves on sheets into the fridge.
                                Yes, you can refrigerate bread dough, and in fact you will probably find that it will give you better, tastier results, because the yeast has more time to do its work. Any bread baker worth his salt (flour?) will tell you that a slow, cold rise is better than a fast, warm one.

You should refrigerate the dough immediately after mixing, not after a rise. Depending on the amount of yeast in your recipe, this can be for a few hours or even overnight. Allow the dough to warm up a little before baking.

After mixing should be read as after kneading, I'm thinking.

Comment