Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Rice. Because when you dont have a job yet food can get expensive.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    My grandpa sometimes makes homemade bread.

2. Amen Teallaura, The Melody Maker amen'd this post.
    radical strawberry
    Faith
    Humanist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    Don't forget homemade pizza!
    Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post
    ... the young man is looking for inexpensive, and you really can't get cheaper than three cups of flour, a cup of water, and a packet of yeast.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
    My grandpa sometimes makes homemade bread.
    I did some baking yesterday and took pics for the Insta I share with students, a lot of whom are in your position, young, a bit broke, and in need of advice on how to eat cheap on their own, from someone who's done it.

This is pizza-for-under-a-buck.

IMG_4269.jpg

Stir a spoon of sugar and a spoon of yeast into a cup of water.

IMG_5651.jpg

Stir up three cups of flour and a double-dash of salt.

IMG_6064.jpg

If the yeast's good, it'll foam inside 10 minutes.

IMG_0902.jpg

Fork stir, wet over dry, add some oil. When the flour's stirred in, take it out.

Then oil the table, so the dough won't stick, and add some oil to the bowl, so the ball won't stick when you put it back in.

Then oil your hands.

IMG_2621.jpg

Put the heel of your hand at the bottom of the ball and push. Give it a quarter turn and do it again. Five minutes is good. Less makes it more crumbly, more makes it smoother. You don't actually need to knead at all.

IMG_6110.jpg

With the doughball in one hand, grab and stretch the skin with the other, poking the excess into the ball. Roll it in the bowl, and leave the taut side up.

IMG_5066.jpg

If you stretch it, it'll rise evenly, but you don't actually have to do that, either.

IMG_1157.jpg

When it's doubled, punch it down and roll out half of it. Toss the rest in the fridge for tomorrow. If the rolling pin is oiled, it won't stick. If the table's oiled, it won't stick there, either.

Lots of folks will tell you to beat the sticking by tossing flour down, on the table, on the dough, on the rolling pin, on the floor, on the walls, on your neighbor's annoying little sister's dog, whatever. Yeah, that'll work, too. Too messy for me.

IMG_9183.jpg

Use anything that pours, two squished tomatoes, whatever you like, or no sauce at all. I've seen it done with bottled afredo. I used curry sauce.

IMG_5215.jpg

Top it.

Or don't. This will bake in 10 minutes whether there's anything on the bread or not.

IMG_3180.jpg

That's a 12-inch pizza, cooked for 10 minutes in a toaster oven at 400 F.

IMG_1629.jpg

Curried mushroom, bread-crust pizza.

4. Amen mossrose, Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I did some baking yesterday and took pics for the Insta I share with students, a lot of whom are in your position, young, a bit broke, and in need of advice on how to eat cheap on their own, from someone who's done it.

This is pizza-for-under-a-buck.

IMG_4269.jpg

Stir a spoon of sugar and a spoon of yeast into a cup of water.

IMG_5651.jpg

Stir up three cups of flour and a double-dash of salt.

IMG_6064.jpg

If the yeast's good, it'll foam inside 10 minutes.

IMG_0902.jpg

Fork stir, wet over dry, add some oil. When the flour's stirred in, take it out.

Then oil the table, so the dough won't stick, and add some oil to the bowl, so the ball won't stick when you put it back in.

Then oil your hands.

IMG_2621.jpg

Put the heel of your hand at the bottom of the ball and push. Give it a quarter turn and do it again. Five minutes is good. Less makes it more crumbly, more makes it smoother. You don't actually need to knead at all.

IMG_6110.jpg

With the doughball in one hand, grab and stretch the skin with the other, poking the excess into the ball. Roll it in the bowl, and leave the taut side up.

IMG_5066.jpg

If you stretch it, it'll rise evenly, but you don't actually have to do that, either.

IMG_1157.jpg

When it's doubled, punch it down and roll out half of it. Toss the rest in the fridge for tomorrow. If the rolling pin is oiled, it won't stick. If the table's oiled, it won't stick there, either.

Lots of folks will tell you to beat the sticking by tossing flour down, on the table, on the dough, on the rolling pin, on the floor, on the walls, on your neighbor's annoying little sister's dog, whatever. Yeah, that'll work, too. Too messy for me.

IMG_9183.jpg

Use anything that pours, two squished tomatoes, whatever you like, or no sauce at all. I've seen it done with bottled afredo. I used curry sauce.

IMG_5215.jpg

Top it.

Or don't. This will bake in 10 minutes whether there's anything on the bread or not.

IMG_3180.jpg

That's a 12-inch pizza, cooked for 10 minutes in a toaster oven at 400 F.

IMG_1629.jpg

Curried mushroom, bread-crust pizza.
    Neat. As you've indicated you can top it anyway you want. You could even clear out some leftovers if the combination is palatable.

My brother got a bread making machine a few years ago and made pizza. He doesn't like like a lot of tomato paste so he cuts that in half and doubles the cheese. Of course with stuff like that he tends to use it extensively for a couple months, grow bored with it and stuff it away in the pantry to take up space along with half a dozen similar devices.

Hmm. It might be useful to ask around to see if anyone has some (working) appliances that they never use and just takes up space in already crowded cabinets and see if they'll give it to you.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

radical strawberry
    Faith
    Humanist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If you really want to pinch your pennies, you need to know how much your meals cost, and that means you need to be able to calculate the cost of ingredients per meal. Shown, that was a $2.30 pizza, but all but the last 30 cents came from the toppings because I used extra cheese, fresh veggies and a prepared sauce.

Oil it and sprinkle a half-ounce of parmesan instead to get Pizza TheWallFredo: 50 cents.

Crust, (64.7 / 2) = 32.4 cents per pizza, in order of appearance:

Yeast: 1 tsp yeast * $5.99 / 1 lb box * 1 lb / 160 tsp = 3.7 cents
    Sugar: 1 tsp sugar * $1.98 / 4 lb bag * 4 lb / 435 tsp = .5 cents

Flour: 3 cups flour * $2.36 / 5 lb bag * 5 lbs / 17 cups = 41.6 cents
    Salt: 1 tsp salt * $.48 / lb * 1 lb / 78 tsp = .6 cents

Olive oil: 2 tbsp oil * $18.48 / 101 oz bottle * 1.88 oz / 4 tbsp = 18.3 cents

Toppings, 197.7 cents per pizza:

Curry sauce: 2 tbsp * $2.98 / 15 oz jar * 1 oz / 2 tbsp = 19.9 cents
    Cheese: 4 oz * $7.14 / 32 oz bag of shredded = 89.3 cents
    Mushrooms: 4 oz * $3.54 / 16 oz package = 88.5 cents

Package prices came from grocery receipts.
    Conversions from package sizes came from googling

radical strawberry
    Faith
    Humanist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Neat. As you've indicated you can top it anyway you want. You could even clear out some leftovers if the combination is palatable.
    If you can physically put it on bread, you can put it on pizza. I've put yesterday's pasta dish on a pizza before, myself.

My brother got a bread making machine a few years ago and made pizza. He doesn't like like a lot of tomato paste so he cuts that in half and doubles the cheese. Of course with stuff like that he tends to use it extensively for a couple months, grow bored with it and stuff it away in the pantry to take up space along with half a dozen similar devices.

Hmm. It might be useful to ask around to see if anyone has some (working) appliances that they never use and just takes up space in already crowded cabinets and see if they'll give it to you.
    I don't know anyone who's still using bread machines except for mixing and kneading, or just mixing. Everyone I know has a food processor collecting dust in a back cabinet somewhere, which is probably the best spot for them, cause using them isn't worth the trouble of cleaning them, which is what I think of bread machines, too.

I deliberately kept everything primitive on this one, easy to clean up.

One spoon, one fork, a two-cup pyrex, and a good-sized glass mixing bowl.

I also used a rolling pin and a tortilla pan, but hands and a sheet of parchment paper would sub just fine.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If you can physically put it on bread, you can put it on pizza. I've put yesterday's pasta dish on a pizza before, myself.

I don't know anyone who's still using bread machines except for mixing and kneading, or just mixing. Everyone I know has a food processor collecting dust in a back cabinet somewhere, which is probably the best spot for them, cause using them isn't worth the trouble of cleaning them, which is what I think of bread machines, too.

I deliberately kept everything primitive on this one, easy to clean up.

One spoon, one fork, a two-cup pyrex, and a good-sized glass mixing bowl.

I also used a rolling pin and a tortilla pan, but hands and a sheet of parchment paper would sub just fine.
    Mixer with bread hook.