Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good CRI article on ethics within the worlds of modern board games

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Nope. But this is about board games (like of the tabletop variety), not video games. And video game culture is more my concern than the games themselves (apart from issues of gratuitous violence).

Edit to clarify: I was reminded from Nick's post because many Christians seem to think that directly simulating graphic violence in video games is okay (actually aiming at a character/figure and shooting). Meanwhile, this article is about people like me who struggle with whether it's okay to do something indirectly simulating an immoral action in the theme of a board game. Not the same thing at all.
    I only ate the dots and the blue ghosts, honest!

2. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Nope. But this is about board games (like of the tabletop variety), not video games. And video game culture is more my concern than the games themselves (apart from issues of gratuitous violence).

Edit to clarify: I was reminded from Nick's post because many Christians seem to think that directly simulating graphic violence in video games is okay (actually aiming at a character/figure and shooting). Meanwhile, this article is about people like me who struggle with whether it's okay to do something indirectly simulating an immoral action in the theme of a board game. Not the same thing at all.
    Hmm. I understood that this thread was about board games and not video games, but quite a few board games have made the leap to video games, not limited to games like D&D, Civilization, Warhammer, and Magic the Gathering (not sure that last one is technically considered a board game or not). Pretty much any Turn-based strategy or Real-Time strategy game is a board game in video game format as far as I can tell.

I don't really "get" video game culture myself, but that seems like a bit of a side-issue, and a relatively recent development.

If you think this is off topic, let me know, and I'll drop it, but seeing your appreciation for board games got me wondering how that correlated with your view of video games, especially as I see the one as a bit of a descendant (in a sense) of the other.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    Hmm. I understood that this thread was about board games and not video games, but quite a few board games have made the leap to video games, not limited to games like D&D, Civilization, Warhammer, and Magic the Gathering (not sure that last one is technically considered a board game or not). Pretty much any Turn-based strategy or Real-Time strategy game is a board game in video game format as far as I can tell.

I don't really "get" video game culture myself, but that seems like a bit of a side-issue, and a relatively recent development.

If you think this is off topic, let me know, and I'll drop it, but seeing your appreciation for board games got me wondering how that correlated with your view of video games, especially as I see the one as a bit of a descendant (in a sense) of the other.
    I see them as different experiences, sort of like watching a movie vs. reading the book it was based on. As the article notes, there are social benefits to the actions of playing a board game. It's not timed so board game culture is very laid back, allowing for genuine social interaction, strategizing, and the like. My experiences with video games are that they're usually played alone (often for much longer amounts of time), or in my experience with group gaming back in high school when I sort of hung around that crowd, there's little social interaction because there's no time for people to take their eyes off their screen.

I've said it before but I freely admit to the double biases of having a brother who dropped out of college due to staying up all night playing video games and not going to class, and my wife's ex-husband doing nothing but playing video games all day and neglecting family duties.

It's certainly a reasonable question for you to ask.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I see them as different experiences, sort of like watching a movie vs. reading the book it was based on. As the article notes, there are social benefits to the actions of playing a board game. It's not timed so board game culture is very laid back, allowing for genuine social interaction, strategizing, and the like. My experiences with video games are that they're usually played alone (often for much longer amounts of time), or in my experience with group gaming back in high school when I sort of hung around that crowd, there's little social interaction because there's no time for people to take their eyes off their screen.

I've said it before but I freely admit to the double biases of having a brother who dropped out of college due to staying up all night playing video games and not going to class, and my wife's ex-husband doing nothing but playing video games all day and neglecting family duties.

It's certainly a reasonable question for you to ask.
    I think you'd be surprised at how closely a number of video games mirror their table top counterparts, and also include a multiplayer component. I don't play many TBS/RTS myself, but I know that there are a few that seem very table-top oriented. And on a much more rudimentary level, playing chess against an opponent in person or that same person over the internet doesn't seem to me to be that big of a difference.

6. Amen Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    I think you'd be surprised at how closely a number of video games mirror their table top counterparts, and also include a multiplayer component. I don't play many TBS/RTS myself, but I know that there are a few that seem very table-top oriented. And on a much more rudimentary level, playing chess against an opponent in person or that same person over the internet doesn't seem to me to be that big of a difference.
    That is interesting but makes sense given how loosely connected to gameplay the themes of most tabletops are. (I was able to immediately pick up the strategy of the Battlestar Galactica tabletop adaptation even having never seen the show, for instance.) They can be creative with what they adapt in.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

8. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.