Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Greening Of The Earth...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Greening Of The Earth...

As world populations grow, isn't this a good thing?

Carbon Dioxide Fertilization Greening Earth, Study Finds

From a quarter to half of Earth’s vegetated lands has shown significant greening over the last 35 years largely due to rising levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide, according to a new study published in the journal Nature Climate Change on April 25.

An international team of 32 authors from 24 institutions in eight countries led the effort, which involved using satellite data from NASA’s Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectrometer and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Advanced Very High Resolution Radiometer instruments to help determine the leaf area index, or amount of leaf cover, over the planet’s vegetated regions. The greening represents an increase in leaves on plants and trees equivalent in area to two times the continental United States.

...Results showed that carbon dioxide fertilization explains 70 percent of the greening effect, said co-author Ranga Myneni, a professor in the Department of Earth and Environment at Boston University. “The second most important driver is nitrogen, at 9 percent. So we see what an outsized role CO2 plays in this process.”

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard...greening-earth
    Last edited by seer; 09-24-2019, 08:03 AM.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Wouldn't the "greening" use up the extra CO2 and create a new balance?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      It should help, just not enough. Theoretically it helps the warming too in that more plant life tends to produce cooler temperatures where the plants are. Again, just not enough.

Jim
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        It should help, just not enough. Theoretically it helps the warming too in that more plant life tends to produce cooler temperatures where the plants are. Again, just not enough.

Jim
        Well: The greening represents an increase in leaves on plants and trees equivalent in area to two times the continental United States.

That seems like quite a lot, and the greening may be exponential as we get warmer. So I'm not sure how much we want to slow down the warming, especially with a growing population and the need for more food.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I don't know if there is a balance or ever was. The planet was once much greener/warmer. And with the growing population we may need much more vegetation and longer growing seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            I don't know if there is a balance or ever was. The planet was once much greener/warmer. And with the growing population we may need much more vegetation and longer growing seasons.
            I think the problem is that while it might produce more crops in certain areas, other areas will become deserts and you would lose crops. Also more and bigger storms are supposed to happen because of global warming.

Comment

I think the problem is that while it might produce more crops in certain areas, other areas will become deserts and you would lose crops. Also more and bigger storms are supposed to happen because of global warming.
              No I don't think the desert thing happens, the more warming the more moisture in the atmosphere from the oceans. There is still an over all gain of vegetation. Perhaps by large amounts.

Comment

No I don't think the desert thing happens, the more warming the more moisture in the atmosphere from the oceans. There is still an over all gain of vegetation. Perhaps by large amounts.
                You'd have to look at how much CO2 is sequestered by that additional vegitation, vs how much is being input per year.

Bottom line, the measured CO2 content of the atmosphere is going up. monotonically. That value represents the sum of all the inputs to the atmosphere and all the processes that can pull CO2 out. We don't have to know what they all are to know that there isn't enough CO2 sinks to compensate for what is being put into the atmosphere.

So it is not enough.

Jim
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                  You'd have to look at how much CO2 is sequestered by that additional vegitation, vs how much is being input per year.

Bottom line, the measured CO2 content of the atmosphere is going up. monotonically. That value represents the sum of all the inputs to the atmosphere and all the processes that can pull CO2 out. We don't have to know what they all are to know that there isn't enough CO2 sinks to compensate for what is being put into the atmosphere.

So it is not enough.

Jim
                  That is not the point - the fact is an overall warmer earth may be more beneficial, on so many levels, than a cooler earth.

Comment

That is not the point - the fact is an overall warmer earth may be more beneficial, on so many levels, than a cooler earth.
                    Land area isn't one of them.
                    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                      Land area isn't one of them.
                      ????

Comment

????
                        I think he means the oceans rising.
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          Just means more real estate opportunities for beach front property farther inland. And we get rid of the worst part of California and New York. Seems like a win/win.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            That is an interesting thing. Since the industrial age do we really know how much the oceans have risen?

Comment

Just means more real estate opportunities for beach front property farther inland. And we get rid of the worst part of California and New York. Seems like a win/win.

The fact is the rise will be so slow relocation will solve any possible loss of life.

Comment