Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

House Speaker Pelosi to announce formal impeachment inquiry of Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House Speaker Pelosi to announce formal impeachment inquiry of Trump

House Speaker Pelosi to announce formal impeachment inquiry of Trump
    House Speaker Nancy Pelosi plans to announce a formal impeachment inquiry into President Trump, a dramatic turnaround by the Democratic leader that sets up a constitutional and political clash pitting the Congress against the nation’s chief executive.

Pelosi (D-Calif.) is slated to make her announcement later on Tuesday after a closed-door meeting with her Democrat caucus, according to Democratic officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity to freely describe private deliberations.

“As soon as we have the facts, we’re ready. Now that we have the facts, we’re ready,” Pelosi said at a forum hosted by The Atlantic. “For later today.”

"I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Red sweep in 2020, here we come!!!
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Nancy Pelosi Announces Formal Impeachment Inquiry of Trump

By Nicholas Fandos
          Sept. 24, 2019
          Updated 5:36 p.m. ET
          WASHINGTON — Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced on Tuesday that the House would begin a formal impeachment inquiry of President Trump, saying that he had betrayed his oath of office and the nation’s security in seeking to enlist a foreign power for his own political gain.

“The actions taken to date by the president have seriously violated the Constitution,” she said after emerging from a meeting of House Democrats in the basement of the Capitol. Mr. Trump, she said, “must be held accountable — no one is above the law.”

The announcement was a stunning development that unfolded after months of caution by House Democrats, who have been divided over using the ultimate remedy to address what they have called flagrant misconduct by the president. It had the potential to reshape Mr. Trump’s presidency and to cleave an already divided nation only a year before he plans to stand for re-election.

In this case, with an avalanche of Democrats — including many who had resisted the move — now demanding it, Ms. Pelosi said that Mr. Trump’s reported actions, and his administration’s refusal to share details about the matter with Congress, have left the House no alternative outside of impeachment.

Comment

Pelosi: "We won't impeach. We won't impeach. We won't impeach."

Trump: "Did you hear the one about Joe Biden extorting the Ukrainian government to drop a criminal investigation against his son?"

Pelosi: "Oh, wait, NOW we want to impeach!"

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
              Nancy Pelosi Announces Formal Impeachment Inquiry of Trump
              The announcement was a stunning development...
              "A stunning development"?

The Democrats have been talking impeachment since before Trump was even inaugurated, and it was the entire platform of the party's 2018 election campaign. Only the lowest of the low-information morons would find this in anyway stunning.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                Much will depend upon the contents of the transcript between Trump and Ukranian president Zelensky due to be released tomorrow.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Much will depend upon the contents of the transcript between Trump and Ukranian president Zelensky due to be released tomorrow.
                  Yeah - Trump is probably not stupid enough to volunteer to release actually damning evidence.

There will be much flash, little bang and then a very scary silence - right before the primaries!!

And a lot of moderate Dems staying home - or voting Republican.

In a more serious vein, if Bidengate fizzles, this could be extremely bad for the future of the Dem party itself.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Since Trump ordered the release, I doubt there's anything in it that will hurt him.

Comment

And, just a side note, Biden isn't in office at the moment...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Under a formalized impeachment inquiry, the committee will get the whistleblower complaint and underlying evidence. It won't have to settle for just a transcript of the call.

It'll also get the Mueller investigation's grand jury documents and a good deal of other material.

The trigger has been pulled and releasing a transcript of the call won't reverse that.

--Sam
                        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

I'm honestly still undecided by the motive behind the huge risk they're taking.

Comment

And, just a side note, Biden isn't in office at the moment...
                            According to an article I read recently, former politicians can be impeached and barred from holding office in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                              I'm honestly still undecided by the motive behind the huge risk they're taking.
                              Pelosi has completely lost control. I think she's just tired of the fight - or unable to keep it up. She's giving the freshmen the rope to hang themselves and the party.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment