Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

House Speaker Pelosi to announce formal impeachment inquiry of Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    He tweeted almost identical words to the complaint. He had knowledge and LIED that he didn't.
    Unlike Trump, Schiff isn't a prolific tweeter - you can run through his feed through Sept. 20 in a matter of seconds.

Where is this alleged tweet?

--Sam
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

He tweeted almost identical words to the complaint. He had knowledge and LIED that he didn't.
      It's the second part that should be of concern. That and his continuing to lie about having a "mountain" of evidence which proves that Trump colluded with Putin to rig the 2016 election[1]. And his completely fabricating what Trump said in the conversation with Zelensky and only walking it back after he got nailed for it and then weakly claimed that it was a "parody" of the conversation. The latter should infuriate the left since he's displaying such contempt for them in thinking that they're either too stupid or too lazy to have read the 4 page transcript for themselves and instantly recognize he was lying through his teeth.

1. If the MSM weren't such a bunch of partisan hacks they would be asking him about that and why he didn't turn it over to Mueller and why is he still not releasing it. Very telling that they don't.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        It's the second part that should be of concern. That and his continuing to lie about having a "mountain" of evidence which proves that Trump colluded with Putin to rig the 2016 election[1]. And his completely fabricating what Trump said in the conversation with Zelensky and only walking it back after he got nailed for it and then weakly claimed that it was a "parody" of the conversation. The latter should infuriate the left since he's displaying such contempt for them in thinking that they're either too stupid or too lazy to have read the 4 page transcript for themselves and instantly recognize he was lying through his teeth.

1. If the MSM weren't such a bunch of partisan hacks they would be asking him about that and why he didn't turn it over to Mueller and why is he still not releasing it. Very telling that they don't.

"The left", being neither idiotic nor opportunistic, understands the common practice of paraphrasing. And given that Schiff immediately preceded the paraphrase with "Shorn of its rambling character and in not so many words, this is the essence of what the President communicates," one would hope that even the opportunistic and the idiotic wouldn't find themselves peddling such an obviously false charge.

--Sam
        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Too early - and I can't readily find anything but joint Ipsos polls (Reuters getting slightly different results).
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• What was the actual question? That can make a huge difference in how a poll should be understood (assuming polls are even meaningful in the first place).

I mean, "Should the president be impeached if he committed a crime?" will give a completely different result than "Do you believe the president committed a crime for which he should be impeached?"
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              What was the actual question? That can make a huge difference in how a poll should be understood (assuming polls are even meaningful in the first place).

I mean, "Should the president be impeached if he committed a crime?" will give a completely different result than "Do you believe the president committed a crime for which he should be impeached?"
              The partisan divide is huge: 74% of Democrats but just 17% of Republicans back impeachment.

By 2-1, those surveyed say there are valid reasons to investigate Joe Biden and his son for their behavior in Ukraine.

https://www.ipsos.com/sites/default/...216-582696.zip

1_1. How familiar are you, if at all, with the following... - The whistleblower complaint about President Trump's conversation with the Ukrainian President Zelensky

Very familiar - 27%
              Somewhat familiar - 33%

***** So, just under 2/3 of the respondents claim to be at least somewhat familiar with the whistleblower complaint

1_2. How familiar are you, if at all, with the following... - The transcript of the conversation between Trump and Zelensky

Very familiar - 19%
              Somewhat familiar - 28%

**** So, less than half are at least somewhat familiar with the transcript of the phone call...

4_1. In your opinion... - Is there enough reliable information or evidence to decide if President Trump should be impeached?

Yes - 39% (272 identified as Dems and 63 as Republicans)
              No - 36%
              Don't Know - 25%

In your opinion... - Should the U.S. House vote to impeach President Trump?
              Yes - 45% (320 identified as Dems and 66 as Republicans)
              No - 38%
              Don't Know - 17%

**** So, almost 50 democrat respondents believe there is not enough reliable evidence to impeach but believe he should be impeached anyway.
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

The partisan divide is huge: 74% of Democrats but just 17% of Republicans back impeachment.

By 2-1, those surveyed say there are valid reasons to investigate Joe Biden and his son for their behavior in Ukraine.

https://www.ipsos.com/sites/default/...216-582696.zip

1_1. How familiar are you, if at all, with the following... - The whistleblower complaint about President Trump's conversation with the Ukrainian President Zelensky

Very familiar - 27%
                Somewhat familiar - 33%

***** So, just under 2/3 of the respondents claim to be at least somewhat familiar with the whistleblower complaint

1_2. How familiar are you, if at all, with the following... - The transcript of the conversation between Trump and Zelensky

Very familiar - 19%
                Somewhat familiar - 28%

**** So, less than half are at least somewhat familiar with the transcript of the phone call...

4_1. In your opinion... - Is there enough reliable information or evidence to decide if President Trump should be impeached?

Yes - 39% (272 identified as Dems and 63 as Republicans)
                No - 36%
                Don't Know - 25%

In your opinion... - Should the U.S. House vote to impeach President Trump?
                Yes - 45% (320 identified as Dems and 66 as Republicans)
                No - 38%
                Don't Know - 17%

**** So, almost 50 democrat respondents believe there is not enough reliable evidence to impeach but believe he should be impeached anyway.
                The most striking poll number illustrating the partisan divide I've seen: Kat Timpf of National Review pointed out the other day that only 40% of Republicans even believe that Trump mentioned Biden on the Ukraine call, even though Trump outright admitted doing so. (The number for Democrats was 85%.)(
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                  "The left", being neither idiotic nor opportunistic, understands the common practice of paraphrasing. And given that Schiff immediately preceded the paraphrase with "Shorn of its rambling character and in not so many words, this is the essence of what the President communicates," one would hope that even the opportunistic and the idiotic wouldn't find themselves peddling such an obviously false charge.

--Sam
                  Funny that he felt it necessary to have to explain that it was "in parody" which is as I'm sure you're aware is a far sight different from paraphrasing.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    The most striking poll number illustrating the partisan divide I've seen: Kat Timpf of National Review pointed out the other day that only 40% of Republicans even believe that Trump mentioned Biden on the Ukraine call, even though Trump outright admitted doing so. (The number for Democrats was 85%.)(
                    The problem that looking at the data on these things brings up is this very problem. A substantial number of respondents don't know about the material but weigh in anyway.
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Funny that he felt it necessary to have to explain that it was "in parody" which is as I'm sure you're aware is a far sight different from paraphrasing.
                      Parody is, by definition, a form of paraphrase. Or, for the really pedantic, both are forms of derivative expression. Regardless, it just goes again to show how you're misusing rhetoric: Schiff used a common rhetorical tool (paraphrase) that he prefaced by announcing it was paraphrase and you tried to play it off as Schiff fabricating Trump's literal statements as verbatim quotes and only "walking it back" after Republicans complained.

Don't go complaining about partisan hacks if you're gonna do stuff like that and not retract.

--Sam

Comment

Parody is, by definition, a form of paraphrase. Or, for the really pedantic, both are forms of derivative expression. Regardless, it just goes again to show how you're misusing rhetoric: Schiff used a common rhetorical tool (paraphrase) that he prefaced by announcing it was paraphrase and you tried to play it off as Schiff fabricating Trump's literal statements as verbatim quotes and only "walking it back" after Republicans complained.

Don't go complaining about partisan hacks if you're gonna do stuff like that and not retract.

--Sam
                        But it WASN'T a paraphrase. He editorialized Trump's comments. Editorializing isn't paraphrasing.
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

--Sam
                          A parody isn't offered up as being an accurate presentation or representation. Instead it is a deliberate lampooning of something

In contrast when you give a paraphrase you are claiming that it is an accurate representation.

And it wasn't just Republicans that complained or Schiff would have ignored them.

Comment

But it WASN'T a paraphrase. He editorialized Trump's comments. Editorializing isn't paraphrasing.
                            Yes, you can editorialize with paraphrase. People here do it all the time with literally using the quote box when changing someone's post and adding "FIFY n/c".

Come on, y'all.

--Sam

Comment

A parody isn't offered up as being an accurate presentation or representation. Instead it is a deliberate lampooning of something

In contrast when you give a paraphrase you are claiming that it is an accurate representation.

And it wasn't just Republicans that complained or Schiff would have ignored them.
                              No, it pretty much was just Republicans who complained. Schiff got asked about the Republican complaints but no one else seems to have come to the independent conclusion that Schiff was trying to make it seem like he was quoting the President literally. And he even said he wasn't in the same moment so that's that.

--Sam

Comment

Yes, you can editorialize with paraphrase. People here do it all the time with literally using the quote box when changing someone's post and adding "FIFY n/c".

Come on, y'all.

--Sam
                                An editorialization is not a paraphrase.

https://www.ppcc.edu/application/fil...ion_Method.pdf

Definition of paraphrase: an up-close re-phrasing of a source idea in your own words that still maintains the sense and content of the original; not necessarily briefer than the original; often, a sentence or two of a particular page or section of the source is the basis for a paraphrase.

Do’s and Don’t’s of Paraphrasing (in part, from pp. 181-83):

Be sure that you do not stray from the original source/sentence’s idea or point. Ensuring that you fully understand the original is key to avoiding your own inference or editorializing.

C'mon Sam...
                                That's what
                                - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment