Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The story of Hunter Biden’s foray into Ukraine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    From the New Yorker magazine a little over two months ago:

Source: Will Hunter Biden Jeopardize His Father’s Campaign?

In December, 2015, as Joe Biden prepared to return to Ukraine, his aides braced for renewed scrutiny of Hunter’s relationship with Burisma. Amos Hochstein, the Obama Administration’s special envoy for energy policy, raised the matter with Biden, but did not go so far as to recommend that Hunter leave the board. As Hunter recalled, his father discussed Burisma with him just once: “Dad said, ‘I hope you know what you are doing,’ and I said, ‘I do.’ ”

Source

© Copyright Original Source

As the Daily Mail's political editor David Martosko pointed out:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40048[/ATTACH]
    In his defense, Joe would claim that wasn't a discussion, but a warning.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      In his defense, Joe would claim that wasn't a discussion, but a warning.
      I thought Biden was Obama's VP and not Slick Willy's

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I thought Biden was Obama's VP and not Slick Willy's
        Just mere hours ago, we were reminiscing on how much we missed Bill, and here ya go callin him names.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Just mere hours ago, we were reminiscing on how much we missed Bill, and here ya go callin him names.
          It's an endearing nickname that has been much earned -- much like nincompoopiehead is yours (well, and Sparko's as well).

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It's an endearing nickname that has been much earned -- much like nincompoopiehead is yours (well, and Sparko's as well).
            There are actually a number of pool halls in Houston named Slick Willy's.

ETA: Wow, as well as Austin, San Antonio and Oklahoma City!!!

Comment

Getting to grips with the complicated background:
              Lawfare 457, Ukraine, podcast.
              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                Getting to grips with the complicated background:
                Lawfare 457, Ukraine, podcast.
                I'd point out that you are "arguing by weblink", but you failed to provide the link.

ff, I think you've been told this before -- you can't just throw out something like that - you have to give a summary or idea what it's about.

And if you're going to provide a cite, include the cite!

Comment

I guess they just couldn't find any dirt on Biden in his nearly 50 years as an elected official as one of the least wealthy members of Congress. So they decided the only way to smear him was to connect Biden and his official duties as VP to his sons private business. What Biden did in Ukraine was to follow the orders of his Boss, period. Whatever Hunter Biden was up to, guilty or innocent, is irrelevant to that.

Comment

I'd point out that you are "arguing by weblink", but you failed to provide the link.

ff, I think you've been told this before -- you can't just throw out something like that - you have to give a summary or idea what it's about.

A couple of things; I am not making an argument but simply informing other puzzled readers, that I found this source useful. The ‘show’ notes are as follows:

The first two years of the Trump presidency were tied up with the Russia scandal. Now, there’s another scandal involving Russia’s next-door neighbor: Ukraine. The revelation that President Trump and his envoys pressured the Ukrainian government for information about debunked claims of Biden family corruption in Ukraine have brought Ukrainian domestic politics onto the American stage. The Ukrainian side of this very American scandal is complicated yet vital to understanding the whistleblower complaint and the reality of what happened with the Ukrainian prosecutor and Joe Biden’s son. Quinta Jurecic sat down with Alina Polyakova, the Director of the Project on Global Democracy and Emerging Technology at the Brookings Institution to break it all down. They talked about recent Ukrainian political developments, what exactly Joe Biden did or didn’t do in Ukraine, and what this might mean for the U.S.-Ukraine relationship going forward.
                    I have looked for a web address but not found one. The Lawfare podcast is easily found for anyone interested.

When the executive is peddling false information, all the time, you have to know where to find reliable information. I am happy to help in that regard.
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                      I guess they just couldn't find any dirt on Biden in his nearly 50 years as an elected official...
                      That's only because we haven't done enough investigations! We need to investigate to figure out what crimes he might have committed!

(Is that how the argument goes? I'll admit, I have trouble thinking down to the level of the average liberal.)
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

The Lawfare Podcast: WTF, Ukraine!

He's said before this is some kind of phone thing. I, on the other hand, am a touch typist, and will never be guilty of typing in all thumbs. (Because thumbs are only a quarter as efficient in hitting the wrong keys.)
                        The first two years of the Trump presidency were tied up with the Russia scandal. Now, there’s another scandal involving Russia’s next-door neighbor: Ukraine. The revelation that President Trump and his envoys pressured the Ukrainian government for information about debunked claims of Biden family corruption in Ukraine have brought Ukrainian domestic politics onto the American stage. The Ukrainian side of this very American scandal is complicated yet vital to understanding the whistleblower complaint and the reality of what happened with the Ukrainian prosecutor and Joe Biden’s son. Quinta Jurecic sat down with Alina Polyakova, the Director of the Project on Global Democracy and Emerging Technology at the Brookings Institution, to break it all down. They talked about recent Ukrainian political developments, what exactly Joe Biden did or didn’t do in Ukraine, and what this might mean for the U.S.-Ukraine relationship going forward.

It's from October 1, which is almost a lifetime ago in terms of the Ukraine scandal, but it's still a good backgrounder.

Comment

"The revelation that President Trump and his envoys pressured the Ukrainian government..."

This is unequivocally false. The transcript shows there was no pressure. The former US Special Envoy to the Ukraine says that Joe Biden was never a topic of discussion. The Ukraine president and his foreign minister are both on record saying there was no pressure.

That Lawfare (LOL-fare?) continues to promote this false narrative reveals an abject lack of credibility.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            That's only because we haven't done enough investigations! We need to investigate to figure out what crimes he might have committed we oughta be investigating!

(Is that how the argument goes? I'll admit, I have trouble thinking down to the level of the average liberal.)
                            FIFY n/c

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              That's only because we haven't done enough investigations! We need to investigate to figure out what crimes he might have committed!

No, you see the way it works, MM, is that evidence emerges, you know, perhaps via a whistleblower, and then you investigate. That you trumpsters are incapable of seeing evidence is a problem that only you can solve for your blind selves.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                                More desperation
                                "Lindsey is about to go down in a way that I think he’s going to regret his whole life."
                                Even more desperation. The mask is slipping off.
                                Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment