What do you collect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    What about this creepy monkey I found at a local flea market a few years ago. I swear he's up to no good.

*shiver*
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

I don't "collect" so much as "unintentionally accumulate."

I was a spoiled only child of the '60s and early '70s who was not particularly violent in playing with his toys, so I have fairly complete... accumulations... of Major Matt Mason, Zeroids, Colorforms Outer Space Men. Also in the same (1/12) scale, a lot of Aurora snap-together posable models. In the 1/6 scale arena, Captain Action, and Adventure Team G.I. Joe, plus a fair amount of "regular" G.I. Joe of that era. Also a smattering of Marx 12-inch (i.e. 1/6 scale) action figures. The toys are definitely not in "mint" condition, but also not totally beat to snot.

Also a closet full of comic books -- NOT properly stored in glassine wrap -- ca. mid '60s to late '80s.

Way too many books. It's probably reached the point where over half are ones I purchased. The rest are older ones that belonged to Mum or Dad, or other family members.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

Hey, I just realized Creepy Simian likes the same kind of PB&J that I get!

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
          *shiver*

don't look him in the eye... he doesn't like it when people stare.

Comment

Hey, I just realized Creepy Simian likes the same kind of PB&J that I get!
            Yeah, he doesn't like that sugary Skippy/Peter Pan garbage. Only the good stuff for the monkey.

Comment

I don't "collect" so much as "unintentionally accumulate."

I was a spoiled only child of the '60s and early '70s who was not particularly violent in playing with his toys, so I have fairly complete... accumulations... of Major Matt Mason, Zeroids, Colorforms Outer Space Men. Also in the same (1/12) scale, a lot of Aurora snap-together posable models. In the 1/6 scale arena, Captain Action, and Adventure Team G.I. Joe, plus a fair amount of "regular" G.I. Joe of that era. Also a smattering of Marx 12-inch (i.e. 1/6 scale) action figures. The toys are definitely not in "mint" condition, but also not totally beat to snot.

Also a closet full of comic books -- NOT properly stored in glassine wrap -- ca. mid '60s to late '80s.

Way too many books. It's probably reached the point where over half are ones I purchased. The rest are older ones that belonged to Mum or Dad, or other family members.
              Awesome. I love toys from that era. It seems like the period when they found that kids tastes were a bit more complicated than toy soldiers, cars, and spinning tops, and they could market directly to the children and bypass the adults altogether. A lot of original and interesting things then. I recently watched a documentary on Funko, and before they got into endless big headed figurines of every pop culture reference in the world, they concentrated on creating toys with a 50s-70s aesthetic to them. A lot of cool stuff originally.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                Awesome. I love toys from that era. It seems like the period when they found that kids tastes were a bit more complicated than toy soldiers, cars, and spinning tops, and they could market directly to the children and bypass the adults altogether. A lot of original and interesting things then. I recently watched a documentary on Funko, and before they got into endless big headed figurines of every pop culture reference in the world, they concentrated on creating toys with a 50s-70s aesthetic to them. A lot of cool stuff originally.
                There have been revivals of several of those I listed.

-- Late '90s, there was an attempted revival of Captain Action by "Playing Mantis," reportedly using the same character molds Ideal had used 30 years earlier. They produced a relatively few items, mainly character costumes that Ideal had planned but never produced, or only produced in limited numbers before the line was cancelled. I picked up one from Amazon when its price crashed.

-- Since around 2005, "Captain Action Enterprises" has owned the character. They have produced some items, but not nearly in keeping with their initial big talk. They redesigned the look of the characters somewhat, the result being that costumes and masks from the current era and the two prior eras are less than totally compatible.

-- The guy who created the characters that Colorforms sold as the "Outer Space Men" brought them back several years ago -- but in a smaller scale, with far less articulation, and at excessive prices.

-- Toyfinity brought back the Zeroids (originally owned by Ideal) a few years ago. Apart from color, really no resemblance to the originals.

I had many hours of fun with those toys. And looking at them now, as an adult, the engineering in some of them is really impressive.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

I have some Digimon cards, Pokemon cards, Heroclix Marvel Super Heroes figures, and a few rare video games.

Comment