Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you collect?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I don't think so. But I've heard about that. I think they were called "paper towns" because they only existed on paper?
    Sounds right.... if I recall, one of my Uncles had such a map, and it was considered quite valuable by map collectors.
    DuckDuckGo - Privacy Simplified

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Did you happen to have any of the bootleg maps? Can't remember the publisher, but they were sued by one of the biggies (Rand McNally?) for copying -- the story was that Rand McNally would include a tiny out-of-the-way town that didn't actually exist, so any other publisher that included that town would be exposed as copying.
    The idea of what are now called "copyright traps" in documents and maps has been around for quite some time. One of the more famous somewhat recent incidents involves Exxon/Esso producing a map that included an entirely fictitious town of "Agloe, New York" and years later Rand McNally fell into the trap. Or did they? The story is a bit convoluted.

Anywho... Usually most traps are far more subtle like transposing two numbers on a mountain's altitude. And dictionaries have been known to put their own traps into the texts.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The obvious question is whether Google Maps intentionally introduces such errors. It's trivially easy to establish that there are errors on Google Maps; some of them not particularly innocent. Right before moving, I was exploring my new town and noted that there was a Wal-Mart Supercenter on the same bus line that goes by our new address. Obviously I was happy about this... until I got here and found that the "Wal-Mart" was in the middle of a residential neighborhood for college students. It seems some kid uploaded it. I reported it 5-6 times as inaccurate, and it eventually got removed weeks later.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I am building a record collection. I also like books. I can take a picture if you want.

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    I did a thread like this a few years ago, but it's been a while so let's do it again. What do you collect?

Social Security.

6. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Social Security.

That's a good one!

Faith
    Armo/Copticish
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I collect Amenís. You are welcome to donate.
    I am become death...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Dragule View Post
    I collect Amenís. You are welcome to donate.
    there ya go!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I've been collecting off and on for most of my life.

Used to collect Tops baseball cards (even though I didn't care about baseball) and Garbage Pail Kid cards back in the 80s.

80s through the 90s I collected Marvel comics.

I've been collecting vinyl albums since the early 90s (mostly Punk and 60s rock), and while it's kinda neat to see it that it's taken off in such a huge way since about 2007, it's made finding albums and turntables for cheap really really hard, which kinda sucks.

I started collecting 60s psychedelic posters, but again, very expensive, and no room to display.

I went through a short-lived period of collecting ancient coins (Greek and Roman). I'd like to get back into that someday soon.

My book collection is constantly expanding. I'd LOVE to collect first edition pulp like Lovecraft and Robert Howard, and weird comics and magazines from the 40s and 50s (stuff from the EC Comics line like Weird Science, Weird Fantasy, Tales From the Crypt, Crime SuspenStories and the like), but the market for those is so high now, and I simply don't have the room to display them correctly (I'm house-hunting, so I'm sure that'll eventually resolve itself).

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    I've been collecting off and on for most of my life.

Used to collect Tops baseball cards (even though I didn't care about baseball) and Garbage Pail Kid cards back in the 80s.

80s through the 90s I collected Marvel comics.

I've been collecting vinyl albums since the early 90s (mostly Punk and 60s rock), and while it's kinda neat to see it that it's taken off in such a huge way since about 2007, it's made finding albums and turntables for cheap really really hard, which kinda sucks.

I started collecting 60s psychedelic posters, but again, very expensive, and no room to display.

I went through a short-lived period of collecting ancient coins (Greek and Roman). I'd like to get back into that someday soon.

My book collection is constantly expanding. I'd LOVE to collect first edition pulp like Lovecraft and Robert Howard, and weird comics and magazines from the 40s and 50s (stuff from the EC Comics line like Weird Science, Weird Fantasy, Tales From the Crypt, Crime SuspenStories and the like), but the market for those is so high now, and I simply don't have the room to display them correctly (I'm house-hunting, so I'm sure that'll eventually resolve itself).
    You're about as weird as I had imagined. I like that.

12. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.