Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump now openly asks China for help in the 2020 election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sam View Post
    "All these investigations into Trump based on credible allegations, complaints, and investigative reports are witch hunts! Witch hunts!"

"We must investigate Joe Biden, given the appearance of impropriety, with or without predicating evidence!"

If nothing else, at least everyone can see there's no bottom here, no principle in action except destruction of one's enemies.

-Sam
    Interesting response to someone pointing out that someone is innocent until proven guilty

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      "Trump is guilty! We just have conduct endless investigations to figure out what he's guilty of! "
      The Pelosi-Waters school of thought.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Interesting response to someone pointing out that someone is innocent until proven guilty
        It is an effort to deflect the clear hypocrisy at work, and a poor effort at that. "Innocent until proven guilty" has no relevance to the point that was made.

Was a time you'd be on the side of pointing that out to such Jorge-esque characters, too.

--Sam
        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

I have never heard that mentality attributed to the Mueller investigation.

Republicans, never: "Oh, you're investigating Trump's secret ties to Russian oligarchs and government liaisons? Go right ahead, nothing to see there."
          See, you can do the 'tu quoque' too. Where's KingsGambit?
          Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
            See, you can do the 'tu quoque' too. Where's KingsGambit?
            When one's own wrongdoing is deflected by arguing that the other side does it to, that's tu quoque.

When one points out that an argument is preposterously hypocritical, and therefore being delivered in ignorance or bad faith, that's not tu quoque.

When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's amore.

--Sam
            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

When one's own wrongdoing is deflected by arguing that the other side does it to, that's tu quoque.

When one points out that an argument is preposterously hypocritical, and therefore being delivered in ignorance or bad faith, that's not tu quoque.

When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's amore.

--Sam
              When you start hysterics again that 'Orange Man Bad' and 'this time he's going down, really', that's Nemesis to your Hubris. TDS is judgment for your arrogance, enjoy.
              Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                When you start hysterics again that 'Orange Man Bad' and 'this time he's going down, really', that's Nemesis to your Hubris. TDS is judgment for your arrogance, enjoy.
                Interesting that over 60% of the population suffers from your so-called TDS.
                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

"All these investigations into Trump based on credible allegations, complaints, and investigative reports are witch hunts! Witch hunts!"

"We must investigate Joe Biden, given the appearance of impropriety, with or without predicating evidence!"

If nothing else, at least everyone can see there's no bottom here, no principle in action except destruction of one's enemies.

-Sam
                  Biden is on video saying he withheld monies (guarantees) from the Urkaine until they got rid of a prosecutor investigating the company where Biden's son had a high paying job. But the Dems in Congress don't see this as evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                    Biden is on video saying he withheld monies (guarantees) from the Urkaine until they got rid of a prosecutor investigating the company where Biden's son had a high paying job. But the Dems in Congress don't see this as evidence.
                    It's not evidence against Biden. It wasn't because the prosecutor in question was investigating a natural gas company tied to Biden's son; it was because he wasn't pursuing corruption among the country's politicians, according to a Ukrainian official and four former American officials who specialized in Ukraine and Europe. This prosecutor's inaction prompted international calls for his ouster and ultimately resulted in his removal by Ukraine's parliament.
                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

It isn't. For reasons already discussed. Your statement is spin, and not accurate at that. Biden bragged about getting rid of one of the most corrupt influences in Ukraine. He had every reason to be proud of having been part of that.

Jim
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                        That assumes Biden is going to be his opponent, which is unlikely and getting more improbable every day.
                        Good. I like Biden, but Warren is far superior in her understanding of government and the monied corruption that has infiltrated it more and more over time, and unlike the unprincipled con man Trump, with his false words, who actually swins in the swamp he claimed he'd drain, the principled Warren will not just try to work within the corrupt system, as I fear Biden would do, she'll do everything in her power to actually clean it up. That's why the corrupt party, which the republicans have become, are beginning to fear her so much.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                          Biden bragged about getting rid of one of the most corrupt influences in Ukraine.
                          That's the liberal narrative, at any rate, but I still haven't seen any evidence proving that he was actually corrupt. If he was so bad then why has he never been investigated or charged with a crime?
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Shokin had "closed" the investigation into Burisma soon after "opening" it in 2014; it seems to have been a routine exercise in corruption for the prosecutor. Open an investigation into a rich, possibly corrupt, oligarch and then shake them down in exchange for "closing" the file. Shokin's deputy prosecutor, who resigned over Shokin's corruption, has said that the investigation into Burisma was dormant well before Biden flew to Ukraine in 2016.

Indeed, Biden's trip was part of an international effort to oust Shokin for impeding an investigation into Burisma's oligarch owner, Mykola Zlochevsky, in the United Kingdom. If Biden was trying to protect his son from investigation, it's a pretty weird strategy to push for the termination of the prosecutor who has twice protected Burisma from real investigation.

So the "evidence" that Biden acted corruptly is not only highly circumstantial but rebutted by other contemporaneous evidence and numerous waves of investigative journalism.

Contrast that with Trump's tax-dodging or Trump's contacts and secret business dealings with members of the Russian government or Trump's obstruction of justice or Trump's record of sexual assault or ...

--Sam

Comment

Shokin had "closed" the investigation into Burisma soon after "opening" it in 2014...
                              False.

The controversy ignited anew earlier this year when I disclosed that Joe Biden admitted during a 2018 videotaped speech that, as vice president in March 2016, he threatened to cancel $1 billion in U.S. loan guarantees, to pressure Ukraine’s then-President Petro Poroshenko to fire Shokin.

At the time, Shokin’s office was investigating Burisma. Shokin told me he was making plans to question Hunter Biden about $3 million in fees that Biden and his partner, Archer, collected from Burisma through their American firm. Documents seized by the FBI in an unrelated case confirm the payments, which in many months totaled more than $166,000.

Some media outlets have reported that, at the time Joe Biden forced the firing in March 2016, there were no open investigations. Those reports are wrong. A British-based investigation of Burisma's owner was closed down in early 2015 on a technicality when a deadline for documents was not met. But the Ukraine Prosecutor General's office still had two open inquiries in March 2016, according to the official case file provided me. One of those cases involved taxes; the other, allegations of corruption. Burisma announced the cases against it were not closed and settled until January 2017.

[...]

In a newly sworn affidavit prepared for a European court, Shokin testified that when he was fired in March 2016, he was told the reason was that Biden was unhappy about the Burisma investigation. “The truth is that I was forced out because I was leading a wide-ranging corruption probe into Burisma Holdings, a natural gas firm active in Ukraine and Joe Biden’s son, Hunter Biden, was a member of the Board of Directors,” Shokin testified.

“On several occasions President Poroshenko asked me to have a look at the case against Burisma and consider the possibility of winding down the investigative actions in respect of this company but I refused to close this investigation,” Shokin added.

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign...wYDEV8.twitter
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Biden is on video saying he withheld monies (guarantees) from the Urkaine ...
                                True. But they don't want to be called "the" Ukraine, anymore, as it signifies they're a geographical area, not the independent country, Ukraine.

... until they got rid of a prosecutor investigating the company where Biden's son had a high paying job.
                                False. He was fired for failing to investigating Burisma, or any of the other oligarch-run organizations that prospered under Yanukovych's Russian-aligned presidency. It's also significant that the Obama administration was outspoken against the corruption in Ukraine, singling out Zlochevsky directly.
                                We applaud the work of the newly-established Inspector General’s office in the PGO* led by David Sakvarelidze and Vitaliy Kasko. Their investigations into corruption within the PGO, have delivered important arrests and have sent the signal that those who abuse their official positions as prosecutors will be investigated and prosecuted.

I encourage all of you to speak up in support of these brave investigators and prosecutors. Give them the resources and support to successfully prosecute these and future cases.

We have learned that there have been times that the PGO not only did not support investigations into corruption, but rather undermined prosecutors working on legitimate corruption cases.

For example, in the case of former Ecology Minister Mykola Zlochevsky, the U.K. authorities had seized 23 million dollars in illicit assets that belonged to the Ukrainian people. Officials at the PGO’s office were asked by the U.K to send documents supporting the seizure.

Instead they sent letters to Zlochevsky’s attorneys attesting that there was no case against him. As a result the money was freed by the U.K. court and shortly thereafter the money was moved to Cyprus.

The misconduct by the PGO officials who wrote those letters should be investigated, and those responsible for subverting the case by authorizing those letters should – at a minimum – be summarily terminated.

Even as we support the work of the new Anti-Corruption Commission, and the recruitment of new prosecutors, we have urged Prosecutor General Shokin to empower Deputy Prosecutors Sakvarelidze and Kasko to implement reforms and bring to justice those who have violated the law, regardless of rank or status. We are prepared to partner with reformers within the PGO in the fight for anticorruption.

* Prosecutor General's Office, then led by Shokin.

But the Dems in Congress don't see this as evidence.
                                They do see it as a conspiracy theory, though, so they're well ahead on the game in comparison to their partisan opponents.
                                Last edited by Juvenal; 10-06-2019, 11:07 AM.

Comment