Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Do you think Trump will actually be impeached?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Do you have any clue the number of times in history a benevolent politician with no evil motives has leveraged the frustrations of those marginalized by their government to win an election?
    Oh, certainly. But Trump is not among them. He’s in the mold of the dictators he so admires such as Putin, Kim Jong un, Xi Jinping and the Saudi crown prince. He exhibits about as much compassion for his 'subjects' as do they, i.e. none unless they can be of use.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      And a new Hill-HarrisX survey this week has Trump up in the polls, rising to a 49% approval rating (his highest this year) since all of this broke. And a Monmouth poll finding that by 43-37 people believe Trump about Biden. Obviously there is still a lot of "I don't know."

This does not seem to be going the way the left had hoped and planned.
      Monmouth has support for Trump at 44% and even CNN has it at 47%. This is substantially higher than where either Nixon or Clinton were at when their impeachment inquiries started (38 and 29% respectively). And in the CNN poll Trump's biggest gains were among Independents (+11%).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Monmouth has support for Trump at 44% and even CNN has it at 47%. This is substantially higher than where either Nixon or Clinton were at when their impeachment inquiries started (38 and 29% respectively). And in the CNN poll Trump's biggest gains were among Independents (+11%).
        Part of the explanation could be that a lot of his supporters simply seem unwilling to even allow for the idea that he could do anything wrong. Falwell jr. seems to "reason" along those lines.
        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
          Part of the explanation could be that a lot of his supporters simply seem unwilling to even allow for the idea that he could do anything wrong. Falwell jr. seems to "reason" along those lines.
          That's wishful thinking, and doesn't explain at all the alleged rise in support among independents. I think it has more to do with the way the Democrats are mishandling the prosecution.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            That's wishful thinking, and doesn't explain at all the alleged rise in support among independents. I think it has more to do with the way the Democrats are mishandling the prosecution.
            So you think if the dems handled it better there'd be more support for Trump being ousted?

Comment

That's wishful thinking, and doesn't explain at all the alleged rise in support among independents.
              I believe you missed the the part where I explicitly said: "Part of the explanation could be..." There was no claim about explaining the alleged rise in support among independents. It has been interesting and surprising to see how far some white "evangelicals" are willing to follow Trump and find all sorts of excuses for him.

I think it has more to do with the way the Democrats are mishandling the prosecution.
              Wishful thinking?
              "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Ol’ Trumpy sounds a bit rattled. It must be time for a little sedation or another round of golf.
                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                  Ol’ Trumpy sounds a bit rattled. It must be time for a little sedation or another round of golf.
                  It is a bit Stormy again...

Comment

As I said in response to a similar poll in another thread, it all depends on the question being and since "If Trump committed a crime, should he be impeached?" will get a far different result than "Do you believe Trump is guilty of a crime for which he should be impeached?"
                    And you know what the exact question was or are you just looking for somthing that would seemingly allow for hand waving?

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                      It is a bit Stormy again...
                      Reading that and then reading your sig block is just nauseatingly ironic...
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                        Ol’ Trumpy sounds a bit rattled.
                        Not really.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
                          And you know what the exact question was...?
                          No. That's my point, nanny boy. We don't know the exact question, or the exact wording of the question, so it's impossible to determine the significance of the results.

Comment

Not really.
                            Like our friend Gerson put it:

The rhetorical intensity of President Trump’s anti-impeachment campaign, measured on a scale of one to 10, has begun at 11.25. The whistleblower is “almost a spy” who might be guilty of “treason.” House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam B. Schiff (D-Calif.) should be arrested for “treason.” Both are part of a “COUP” which — if successful — could provoke a “Civil War.”

How is it possible to escalate any further from here? What is the step beyond the threat of political violence? https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...2d2_story.html
                            But then again a mere statement "Not really" and a shrug might convince some.

Comment

No. That's my point, nanny boy. We don't know the exact question, or the exact wording of the question, so it's impossible to determine the significance of the results.
                              You did not answer the question since you left out part of my post. Let me reapeat: "And you know what the exact question was or are you just looking for something that would seemingly allow for hand waving?"

Have you got any good reason to assume the results are insignificant or that leading questions were used?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
                                You did not answer the question since you left out part of my post. Let me reapeat: "And you know what the exact question was or are you just looking for something that would seemingly allow for hand waving?"

Have you got any good reason to assume the results are insignificant or that leading questions were used?

Comment