Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Supreme Court Cases This Term

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Big Supreme Court Cases This Term

I'm not sure why number 2 isn't a slam dunk since federal law says nothing about orientation, just biological sex.

1.Will the right to an abortion survive this term?

The Court will hear June Medical Services v. Gee, a case involving a Louisiana anti-abortion law that is virtually identical to one the Supreme Court struck down in its 2016 decision in Whole Woman’s Health v. Hellerstedt.

2. By next June, the Supreme Court also plans to decide whether federal law allows workers to be fired because of their sexual orientation or gender identity.

3. How much will the Court’s new majority expand the Second Amendment?

New York State Rifle & Pistol Association Inc. v. City of New York, New York, which the Court is expected to hear in December. New York State Rifle is the first major Second Amendment case to receive a full hearing from the justices in nearly a decade — and it is the first such case since Kennedy was replaced by Kavanaugh — so it offers the Supreme Court a vehicle to significantly expand the scope of that amendment if it has the votes to do so.

https://www.vox.com/2019/10/4/208692...gbtq-obamacare
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    I'm not sure why number 2 isn't a slam dunk since federal law says nothing about orientation, just biological sex.
    The primary argument is that if you would fire a male employee for being in a relationship with a man (homosexual), but would not fire a female employee for being in a relationship with a man (heterosexual), that is therefore discriminating based on sex because the firing is dependent on the sex of the individual. If they were of the opposite sex, the firing would not have happened; ergo, discrimination based on sex.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraceth View Post
    The primary argument is that if you would fire a male employee for being in a relationship with a man (homosexual), but would not fire a female employee for being in a relationship with a man (heterosexual), that is therefore discriminating based on sex because the firing is dependent on the sex of the individual. If they were of the opposite sex, the firing would not have happened; ergo, discrimination based on sex.
    A stretch, the law was intended to apply to ones biological sex. Not being discriminated because you were female or male. Who you had sex with, or not, never entered in.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Clarence Thomas is absent due to illness for the present term, which may complicate things.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    He missed the first day of oral arguments but is expected to participate when he returns this term.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Clarence Thomas is absent due to illness for the present term, which may complicate things.
    Absent for the term or just a few days?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

7. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    A stretch, the law was intended to apply to ones biological sex. Not being discriminated because you were female or male. Who you had sex with, or not, never entered in.
    Back in my college days when I took several law classes just because, one of the professors had a hard time getting several of those in the class to understand that just because you may think it is wrong to discriminate against a group does not make it illegal unless they are explicitly listed as being protected by law. In fact, in the final there were two questions dealing with that in the multiple guess section. One listed various groups and you had to pick the one expressly mentioned as not being able to discriminate against whereas the other listed various groups and you had to pick the one that wasn't expressly protected from being discriminate against.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Back in my college days when I took several law classes just because, one of the professors had a hard time getting several of those in the class to understand that just because you may think it is wrong to discriminate against a group does not make it illegal unless they are explicitly listed as being protected by law. In fact, in the final there were two questions dealing with that in the multiple guess section. One listed various groups and you had to pick the one expressly mentioned as not being able to discriminate against whereas the other listed various groups and you had to pick the one that wasn't expressly protected from being discriminate against.
    Exactly, if they want federal protections for orientation (which most states have I believe) let them follow the legislative process, not by judicial fiat.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Exactly, if they want federal protections for orientation (which most states have I believe) let them follow the legislative process, not by judicial fiat.
    As we see with their treatment of the Constitution many on the left reject that process preferring to simply to twist what is explicitly written to mean whatever they want at any given moment rather than going through that yucky, boring process of amending it.

11. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    As we see with their treatment of the Constitution many on the left reject that process preferring to simply to twist what is explicitly written to mean whatever they want at any given moment rather than going through that yucky, boring process of amending it.
    Of course, they hate the Constitution, so they go around it. But they wouldn't even have to amend it, just pass a law through the congress and get a President to sign it, like the Civil Rights act of 64.

13. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.