Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Slaughtering our Kurdish allies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
    Speaking of just stopping, your reputation for attacks on smaller women is never going to fade away if you keep bringing them up, Spanky. If you can't repent your misogyny, you should at least have the grace not to advertise it.
    Like your twisted opinion has any weight - delusional...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

U.S. troops withdraw from another Syrian town as Turkish forces cut off supply lines

By Liz Sly,
      Louisa Loveluck and
      Sarah Dadouch
      October 13 at 9:47 AM
      BEIRUT — U.S. troops withdrew on Sunday from another town in Syria as Turkish-backed forces pushed deeper inside Syrian territory, seizing positions along a major highway that serves as the U.S. military’s main supply route and cutting off access to U.S. troops further west, according to a U.S. official.

The withdrawal came amid reports that hundreds of Islamic State supporters may have escaped from a camp housing displaced people in the town of Ain Issa, taking advantage of the mayhem that ensued as Turkish artillery pounded the area.

U.S. forces say Turkey was deliberately ‘bracketing’ American troops with artillery fire in Syria

By Dan Lamothe
      October 12 at 6:07 PM
      Turkish forces who launched multiple artillery rounds near a U.S. Special Operations outpost in northeastern Syria on Friday have known for months that Americans were there, according to four current and former U.S. officials, raising questions whether Turkey is trying to push American troops farther from the border.

The incident occurred on a hilltop base overlooking the town of Kobane as Turkey continues an operation launched Wednesday against Syrian Kurds, some of whom the United States has partnered with for years in its campaign against the Islamic State. The incursion has focused on an area 60 miles to the west of Kobane, but U.S. officials believe Turkey has long-term aspirations to control a much larger swath of Syria.

Accounts say the position was bracketed by 155mm rounds described as "area weapons."
      Brett McGurk, a former special envoy for both the Obama and Trump administrations in the campaign against the Islamic State, raised concerns about the incident Friday, saying on Twitter that the United States had declared the position to Turkey.

“This was not a mistake,” he said.

And I'd imagine it's a message intended for a larger audience.

The world is watching Trump lose his mojo.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        Like your twisted opinion has any weight - delusional...
        There are two things I love best in life, coffee and unwitting irony.

Comment

There are two things I love best in life, coffee and unwitting irony.
          Yes I have taken note of your unwitting ironies - like misogyny is some kind of a genuine wrong in your morally relative world. You are just spitting out unoriginal talking points with no actual basis in fact.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Turkish-led forces film themselves executing a Kurdish captive in Syria

By Liz Sly
            October 13 at 6:33 AM
            BEIRUT — Videos posted on social media showing at least one execution-style killing have called into question the discipline of the soldiers engaged in Turkey’s five-day-old effort to seize territory controlled by Kurdish fighters in northeastern Syria.

The most gruesome and explicit of the videos shows Turkish-allied Syrian fighters pumping bursts of automatic fire into the body of a bound man lying on the side of a desert road as a gunman shouts to his comrades to take his phone and film him doing the shooting. Another trembling, handcuffed man crouches on the opposite side of the road as the shooting erupts. “Kill them,” one man is heard shouting.

The video is one of a series of photographs and videos posted on Twitter accounts of the Turkish-backed rebel groups and circulated by the U.S.-allied Syrian Democratic Forces that suggest some of the Syrian rebels participating in Turkey’s offensive to capture territory in Syria might have committed war crimes.

Sometimes I play the game, "How would I get that story." This one is from Liz Sly, "Beirut bureau chief, covering Lebanon, Syria and the wider region." She got the story by following SDF fighters on Twitter.

Next time someone mentions that Twitter is an irredeemable cesspool, I'll be thinking of this.

Comment

Yes I have taken note of your unwitting ironies - like misogyny is some kind of a genuine wrong in your morally relative world.
              Imagine a world where your god never got around to telling folks coveting another man's woman slaves was wrong.

You are just spitting out unoriginal talking points with no actual basis in fact.
              Thankfully, I've got a Keurig to serve up my coffee.

Life is good.

Comment

Trump orders withdrawal of U.S. forces from northern Syria, days after Pentagon downplays possibility

By Dan Lamothe and
                Liz Sly
                October 13 at 12:32 PM
                President Trump has ordered a withdrawal of virtually all U.S. forces from northern Syria in the face of a Turkish military offensive targeting Kurdish fighters in the region, Defense Secretary Mark T. Esper said Sunday, after days of assurances from the Pentagon that the United States was not “abandoning” its partners in the campaign against the Islamic State.

The order to remove the troops came toward the end of a chaotic day in which the viability of the U.S. mission in Syria rapidly unraveled after Turkish troops and their Syrian rebel proxies advanced deep into Syrian territory and cut U.S. supply lines.

And then there's this:
                Hundreds of Islamic State-affiliated foreigners escaped from a camp for women and children in the town as guards fled heavy shelling. Late Friday afternoon, there were reports that a prison housing foreign and local Islamic State fighters was ablaze. The fate of the fighters was not known.

It should go without saying that thinking things through is almost always the better choice.

Comment

White House: Turkey to invade Northern Syria

By Zeke Miller | AP
                  October 6 at 11:59 PM
                  WASHINGTON — The White House said Sunday that Turkey will soon invade Northern Syria, renewing fears of a slaughter of Kurdish fighters allied with the U.S. in a yearslong campaign against the Islamic State group.

The news was released by the White House at 11 p.m. on a Sunday night.
                  There are two issues with this, IMO. First, the U.S. is (once again) showing allies that we cannot be trusted, and will turn our backs on them as soon as it is beneficial to us. Second, previous "allies" in the middle east that we subsequently abandoned have had a tendency to become the terrorists that then attack us.

So much for keeping America safe, America First, MAGA! Sometimes, putting "America First" means being a good neighbor, having our allies backs, and being a trusted member of the world community. The world isn't just laughing at us; they are systematically shifting their alliances to other countries.
                  The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Thankfully, I've got a Keurig to serve up my coffee.

Life is good.

Yes even when you lie...

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                      There are two issues with this, IMO. First, the U.S. is (once again) showing allies that we cannot be trusted, and will turn our backs on them as soon as it is beneficial to us. Second, previous "allies" in the middle east that we subsequently abandoned have had a tendency to become the terrorists that then attack us.

So much for keeping America safe, America First, MAGA! Sometimes, putting "America First" means being a good neighbor, having our allies backs, and being a trusted member of the world community. The world isn't just laughing at us; they are systematically shifting their alliances to other countries.
                      Where you upset when Obama did it? Or is this more selective outrage?

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                        Yes even when you lie...
                        To each their own expertise.

The Kurds were taking bombs for us daily. We're abandoning them completely.

The Iraqis were bombing us daily. We've still got a presence in Iraq.

Could you, maybe as a lark even, just once find something worse before you go squirreling?

Comment

Does it matter? In the grand scheme of things, the problem is showing ourselves to be unreliable. Doing it again makes it worse. So if one is truly outraged obama did it, then how much more so should you be outraged when the fellow you elected to fix what Obama did wrong just does the same stuff again, only worse!

Jim
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                            Does it matter? In the grand scheme of things, the problem is showing ourselves to be unreliable. Doing it again makes it worse. So if one is truly outraged obama did it, then how much more so should you be outraged when the fellow you elected to fix what Obama did wrong just does the same stuff again, only worse!

Jim
                            I agree, this was a VERY bad move by Trump... As it was by Obama, but the left didn't seem to have a problem back then...

Comment

I think we all have a tendency for selective outrage to some extent. Maybe even (gasp!) Trump supporters. I recall the Tea Partyers so enraged about Obama's deficit spending who are all strangely silent now...And how they were so enraged about how he had the temerity to enact Obamacare, this policy that was hatched in that radical left wing think thank, the Heritage Foundation! I recall during Clinton's impeachment all of the self-appointed Guardians of Public Morality like Bill Bennett and Dennis Prager endlessly wagging their fingers in our faces and lecturing us about how "character matters" in a President, and Lindsey Graham speaking on the House Floor about how you didn't have to be guilty of a crime to be impeached. and how impeachment was about morally "cleansing the office" and how Mike Pence made the same argument on his radio show at the time, and how all these voices are strangely silent now... So selective outrage is not restricted to just one side, seer.
                              Last edited by Jim B.; 10-13-2019, 03:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim B. View Post
                                I think we all have a tendency for selective outrage to some extent. Maybe even (gasp!) Trump supporters. I recall the Tea Partyers so enraged about Obama's deficit spending who are all strangely silent now...
                                Isn't the Tea Party kinda silent in general, though? I'm not even sure the last time I heard anything about them. They seem to have gone the way of Occupy Wall Street.

Comment