Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Impeachment Process - Read OP Before Posting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impeachment Process - Read OP Before Posting

Sam, you are not welcome here.

This is not a political debate thread. It is strictly for the boring, dry procedural issues with impeachment. Which is complicated by the political implications so try the best you can to stay on topic if you post.

DO NOT post about the current impeachment - not even as comparison. I want to examine just the process - admittedly to gauge the veracity of a multitude of assertions - just not here.

So, starting at the beginning:

U.S. Constitution - Article 2 Section 4

Article 2 - The Executive Branch
    Section 4 - Disqualification

The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

Source

Article 1, Section 3, Clauses 4 & 5
    6: The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present.
    7: Judgment in Cases of impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.

Source

Article 1, Section 2, Clause 5
    5: The House of Representatives shall chuse their Speaker and other Officers; and shall have the sole Power of Impeachment.

Source

Article 3, Section 2, Clause 3*

3: The Trial of all Crimes, except in Cases of Impeachment, shall be by Jury; and such Trial shall be held in the State where the said Crimes shall have been committed; but when not committed within any State, the Trial shall be at such Place or Places as the Congress may by Law have directed.

Source

*included because it establishes impeachment as a criminal trial - which is a big duh, it ain't civil, but there has been some question.

[For reference, treason is defined in Article 3].

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Source: FindLaw

Both the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate have the right to make their own rules governing their procedure, and to change those rules. Under current rules, the actual impeachment inquiry begins in the Judiciary Committee of the House of Representatives. That Committee holds hearings, takes evidence, and hears testimony of witnesses concerning matters relevant to the inquiry. Typically, as occurred in the case of President Nixon, there will also be a Minority Counsel who serves the interest of the party not controlling Congress.
    Witnesses are interrogated by the Committee Counsel, the Minority Counsel, and each of the members of the House Judiciary Committee. The Committee formulates Articles of Impeachment which could contain multiple counts. The Committee votes on the Articles of Impeachment and the results of the vote are reported to the House as a whole. The matter is then referred to the whole House which debates the matter and votes on the Articles of Impeachment, which may or may not be changed. If the Articles of Impeachment are approved, the matter is sent to the Senate for trial

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Decent article for overview.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

US House of Representatives

Still looking for House Rules proper.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Rules for the 114th House of Representatives

Wiki seems to think the 115th is governed by basically the same rules - trying to confirm that now.

Then I need to start on the statutory stuff...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Great thread, Teallaura.

PS: For the longest time I read your user name as 'Tell Laura'. I feel kind of blue about that mistake.
            ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              Sam, you are not welcome here.

This is not a political debate thread. It is strictly for the boring, dry procedural issues with impeachment. Which is complicated by the political implications so try the best you can to stay on topic if you post.

DO NOT post about the current impeachment - not even as comparison. I want to examine just the process - admittedly to gauge the veracity of a multitude of assertions - just not here.

So, starting at the beginning:

U.S. Constitution - Article 2 Section 4

[FONT="][/FONT]
              [FONT="][/FONT]
              [FONT="][/FONT]
              Article 2 - The Executive Branch
              Section 4 - Disqualification

[FONT="]The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.[/FONT]
              [FONT="]
              Source

Article 1, Section 3, Clauses 4 & 5
              [FONT="]6: The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present.[/FONT]
              [FONT="]7: Judgment in Cases of impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.[/FONT]

Source

Article 1, Section 2, Clause 5
              [FONT="]5: [/FONT][FONT="]The House of Representatives shall [/FONT]chuse[FONT="] their Speaker and other Officers; and shall have the sole Power of [/FONT]Impeachment[FONT="].[/FONT]

Source

Article 3, Section 2, Clause 3*

[FONT="]3: [/FONT][FONT="]The Trial of all Crimes, except in Cases of [/FONT]Impeachment[FONT="], shall be by Jury; and such Trial shall be held in the State where the said Crimes shall have been committed; but when not committed within any State, the Trial shall be at such Place or Places as the Congress may by Law have directed.[/FONT]

Source

*included because it establishes impeachment as a criminal trial - which is a big duh, it ain't civil, but there has been some question.

[For reference, treason is defined in Article 3].

[/FONT]
              An issue of contention brought up by MM, and argued by the President, was that the investigation and issuence of subpoena's by this House was unconstitutional because they haven't taken a vote.. That the House by rule of law must take a vote before they can proceed with an impeachment investigation or inquiry. But, there is nothing either explicit or implied in the Constitution as to how the House must conduct it's procedings.

Article 1 Section 2 clause 5 as depicted in your post shows that: "the House has the sole power of impeachment" In other words the rules and procedures are up to the House to decide, not codified in law.

And

Article 1 Section 5 Clause 2 affirms that understanding: "Each House may determine the rules of its proceedings.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                An issue of contention brought up by MM, and argued by the President, was that the investigation and issuence of subpoena's by this House was unconstitutional because they haven't taken a vote.. That the House by rule of law must take a vote before they can proceed with an impeachment investigation or inquiry. But, there is nothing either explicit or implied in the Constitution as to how the House must conduct it's procedings.

Article 1 Section 2 clause 5 as depicted in your post shows that: "the House has the sole power of impeachment" In other words the rules and procedures are up to the House to decide, not codified in law.

And

Article 1 Section 5 Clause 2 affirms that understanding: "Each House may determine the rules of its proceedings.
                Yeah - remember I don't want to debate the current impeachment here, but what MM is talking about is in the statutory stuff that I haven't gotten to yet. Some House procedings are codified into law and not just House rules - I still have to track that down. But you're correct that it isn't specified in the Constitution.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

It has been suggested that starting an actual impeachment would also allow the minority in the House to have subpoena power, and that that's why the Dems are refraining. Is this an actual law or rule?
                  Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                    It has been suggested that starting an actual impeachment would also allow the minority in the House to have subpoena power, and that that's why the Dems are refraining. Is this an actual law or rule?
                    I'm still checking into it.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Current House Rules

I'm blaming the bus - I found everything but! Sam found them.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Text of Wilkinson v. United States - governs congressional subpoena adequacy (is it legally binding).

Text of Eastland v, United States Servicemen's Fund - establishes bar to judicial interference once legitimacy is established (Congress acting within its authority).

Last edited by Teallaura; 10-10-2019, 11:27 AM.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          Text ofWilkinson v. United States- governs congressional subpoena adequacy (is it legally binding).

Text of Eastland v, United States Servicemen's Fund - establishes bad to judicial interference once legitimacy is established (congress acting within it's authority).
                          OK what does all this mean - speak English please...
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                            Appears to be law via Supreme Court ruling. I've still got to read the cases.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                              OK what does all this mean - speak English please...

Let me read them first! I'm relying on Wiki for the summation until I've read them myself.

If you want, just read the conclusion on Wilkinson. But the short, not swearing to it yet, version is MM is probably right about the Intel Committee 'subpoenas' - and it's not something the House can change alone.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment