Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 107

Thread: Trump obstruction of Congress continues.

  1. #1
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,718
    Amen (Given)
    1693
    Amen (Received)
    1478

    Trump obstruction of Congress continues.

    The corrupt Trump Administration has just blocked Gordon Sondlin, the political appointee who donated a million dollars to get the position, from testifying before Congress concerning his role in the Trump scheme to get Ukraine to manurfacture dirt on Joe Biden. Apparently they are going to attempt do the same with the former Ambassador to Ukraine, who Trump fired (because he said "I heard bad things about her!") for pushing back against the scheme.
    This is obstruction, and Congress, who could obviously see this coming, stated that it would be treated as such, which is, again, an impeachable offense.

    Moderated By: QuantaFille

    Merging with duplicate thread

    ***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

    Last edited by QuantaFille; 10-08-2019 at 07:01 AM.

  2. #2
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,718
    Amen (Given)
    1693
    Amen (Received)
    1478

    Trump obstruction of Congress continues.

    The corrupt Trump Administration has just blocked Gordon Sondland, Ambassador to the European Union, a political appointee who donated a million dollars to get the position, from testifying before Congress concerning his role in the Trump scheme to get Ukraine to manurfacture dirt on Joe Biden. Apparently they are going to attempt do the same with the former Ambassador to Ukraine, Marie Yovanovich, who Trump fired because he said ("I heard bad things about her!") for pushing back against the scheme.
    This is obstruction, and Congress, who could obviously see this coming, stated that it would be treated as such, which is, again, an impeachable offense.

    http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/...t-ukraine.html
    Last edited by JimL; 10-08-2019 at 06:29 AM.

  3. #3
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    25,220
    Amen (Given)
    1747
    Amen (Received)
    5136
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    The corrupt Trump Administration has just blocked Gordon Sondland, Ambassador to the European Union, a political appointee who donated a million dollars to get the position, from testifying before Congress concerning his role in the Trump scheme to get Ukraine to manurfacture dirt on Joe Biden. Apparently they are going to attempt do the same with the former Ambassador to Ukraine, Marie Yovanovich, who Trump fired because he said ("I heard bad things about her!") for pushing back against the scheme.
    This is obstruction, and Congress, who could obviously see this coming, stated that it would be treated as such, which is, again, an impeachable offense.
    Good - but as Trump said, take an actual floor vote for the impeachment inquiry and he will cooperate. Why are they afraid to have a vote? It is called Executive privilege, used by both Clinton and Obama.
    Last edited by seer; 10-08-2019 at 06:35 AM.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

  4. Amen RumTumTugger, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
  5. #4
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,322
    Amen (Given)
    145
    Amen (Received)
    631
    The House doesn't need to vote for impeachment to open an impeachment inquiry and it has subpoena power, regardless. The Trump administration has tried to argue that, outside an impeachment proceeding, Congress only has subpoena power for a "legislative purpose" and the White House can dictate what "legislative purpose" means.

    So now there's an impeachment inquiry. But the WH is trying to argue -- again without merit -- that subpoenas in an impeachment inquiry have no force without a House vote to begin an impeachment proceeding. But as a report released by the Congressional Research Service in August explains, the House has moved to impeachment inquiries before without a vote.

    Any road, this specific matter is before a federal judge this morning and I expect the House will argue that the matter needs to be ruled on with haste. So we might see a ruling by the end of the week.

    Image 053.jpg

    --Sam
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"


  6. #5
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    17,435
    Amen (Given)
    5763
    Amen (Received)
    6132
    It's known as "separation of powers". Learn it. Love it.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  7. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
  8. #6
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    25,220
    Amen (Given)
    1747
    Amen (Received)
    5136
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    The House doesn't need to vote for impeachment to open an impeachment inquiry and it has subpoena power, regardless. The Trump administration has tried to argue that, outside an impeachment proceeding, Congress only has subpoena power for a "legislative purpose" and the White House can dictate what "legislative purpose" means.

    So now there's an impeachment inquiry. But the WH is trying to argue -- again without merit -- that subpoenas in an impeachment inquiry have no force without a House vote to begin an impeachment proceeding. But as a report released by the Congressional Research Service in August explains, the House has moved to impeachment inquiries before without a vote.

    Any road, this specific matter is before a federal judge this morning and I expect the House will argue that the matter needs to be ruled on with haste. So we might see a ruling by the end of the week.

    Image 053.jpg

    --Sam
    The fact is Sam, Trump just repeated today that he would he will cooperate if they have a floor vote. What are they afraid of? Until then he will assert Executive privilege. Good - make them all go on record... Heck Obama and Clinton used Executive privilege during investigations - I bet you have no problem then.
    Last edited by seer; 10-08-2019 at 06:42 AM.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

  9. #7
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,718
    Amen (Given)
    1693
    Amen (Received)
    1478
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    Good - but as Trump said, take an actual floor vote for the impeachment inquiry and he will cooperate. Why are they afraid to have a vote?
    Good you say? That Trump is abusing his power once again, that he is obstructing the responsibility of Congress to investigate and check any abuses of the Executive? Congress is a co-equal branch,seer, not subserviant to the Executive. The President has no legal argument for suppressing evidence or testimony of witnesses. Trump is once again attempting to undermine democracy, to undermine the Institution of Congress.

  10. #8
    tWebber Roy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,675
    Amen (Given)
    664
    Amen (Received)
    1468
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    The corrupt Trump Administration has just blocked Gordon Sondlin, the political appointee who donated a million dollars to get the position, ...
    Um, what? Is that true?
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

    mikewhitney: What if the speed of light changed when light is passing through water? ... I have 3 semesters of college Physics.

    Mountain Man: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.

  11. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
  12. #9
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    25,220
    Amen (Given)
    1747
    Amen (Received)
    5136
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Good you say? That Trump is abusing his power once again, that he is obstructing the responsibility of Congress to investigate and check any abuses of the Executive? Congress is a co-equal branch,seer, not subserviant to the Executive. The President has no legal argument for suppressing evidence or testimony of witnesses. Trump is once again attempting to undermine democracy, to undermine the Institution of Congress.
    Abusing power like when Obama 'obstructed' congress by using Executive privilege during the Fast and Furious investigation, or when Clinton did the same? Did they undermine democracy?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

  13. #10
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,322
    Amen (Given)
    145
    Amen (Received)
    631
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    The fact is Sam, Trump just repeated today that he would he will cooperate if they have a floor vote. What are they afraid of? Until then he will assert Executive privilege. Good - make them all go on record... Heck Obama and Clinton used Executive privilege during investigations - I bet you have no problem then.
    Trump said he'd release his tax returns. And that he'd unveil a healthcare plan "in a couple weeks". And that he'd sit for an interview in the Mueller investigation. Trump says a lot of things.

    Executive privilege is not a shield during an impeachment inquiry. Trump doesn't get to dictate when and how the House approaches impeachment. A federal judge might in the near future but my educated guess is that you're going to be disappointed.

    And if the judge rules that the Trump administration must comply with impeachment-related subpoenas? Will Trump adhere to the rule of law or will there simply be a new excuse for people to parrot?

    --Sam
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •