Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ellen DeGeneres is Right

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Not if you lie a nation into a war and reintroduce torture, no. I suspect we wouldn't make good neighbors.
    Leaving out Bush as an extreme example (him being a former president), would or could you be friends with right-wingers in general?
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

2. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Sam has the extraordinary gift of seeing darkness where others see a beautiful sunrise.

By the way --- the sunrise at my house this morning...

Attachment 40137

(Sorry about the slightly "off level" - I'm on drugs due to my knee)

~200,000 Iraqi civilians won't see that sunrise. People who died at the hands of American torturers won't see it. That should have some weight.

--Sam
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Not if you lie a nation into a war and reintroduce torture, no. I suspect we wouldn't make good neighbors.
    Well I personally wouldn't have a problem with watering boarding a Jihadist if I thought it would save your life or the lives of fellow Marines. And I don't think Bush lied, I believe, they really believed, there were still WMD in Iraq.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

5. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    ~200,000 Iraqi civilians won't see that sunrise. People who died at the hands of American torturers won't see it. That should have some weight.

--Sam
    And Ellen NOT sitting with Bush at a ballgame would have prevented that.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    Well I personally wouldn't have a problem with watering boarding a Jihadist if I thought it would save your life or the lives of fellow Marines. And I don't think Bush lied, I believe, they really believed, there were still WMD in Iraq.
    As did Bill Clinton and others before it became "Bush lied, people died".

8. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Two things right quick....

We've gone 15 posts without anybody mentioning:

A) bacon
    2) Trump

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    Leaving out Bush as an extreme example (him being a former president), would or could you be friends with right-wingers in general?
    Man, where I live, how could one not?

It depends on the definition of "right-wingers", of course, but I've got friends who work or worked on major Republican campaigns and probably a solid plurality of my friend group are right-leaning or right-wing. I often tell the story of my old church friend (now deceased) and our annual hours-long discussion when I'd bring a pie over and try to dissuade him from views like "I'd turn 'em [Arab countries] into a sea of glass."

It's very rare to find a politically left-leaning or even left-wing person with few right-leaning or right-wing friends. The world is just too complicated for that.

But actions matter. And Bush's actions matter a lot.

--Sam
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    And Ellen NOT sitting with Bush at a ballgame would have prevented that.
    Holding those who committed these atrocities accountable -- even socially -- would probably go a long way to preventing it in the future. Right now, torture and war are just things that powerful people can do and not risk getting uninvited to a Hamptons social.

--Sam

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

--Sam
    And how many would have died in these years if Saddam was still in power? And how many were tortured to death?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Man, where I live, how could one not?

It depends on the definition of "right-wingers", of course, but I've got friends who work or worked on major Republican campaigns and probably a solid plurality of my friend group are right-leaning or right-wing. I often tell the story of my old church friend (now deceased) and our annual hours-long discussion when I'd bring a pie over and try to dissuade him from views like "I'd turn 'em [Arab countries] into a sea of glass."

It's very rare to find a politically left-leaning or even left-wing person with few right-leaning or right-wing friends. The world is just too complicated for that.

But actions matter. And Bush's actions matter a lot.

--Sam
    I wasn't contesting either of these at all, just trying to get the thread back to the general principle and off of the example.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

14. Amen Sam amen'd this post.