Thread: Ellen DeGeneres is Right

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I am LGBTQ-affirming, yes.
    So you affirm sin, got it...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I am LGBTQ-affirming, yes.
    So, this is interesting to me. The guy who is "LGBTQ-affirming" is critical of the woman who is actually LGBTQ.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

radical strawberry
    Faith
    Humanist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    When the Pharisees saw this, they asked his disciples, "Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?"
    Bucket list:

A Southern Baptist preacher comparing Ellen DeGeneris with Jesus.

Check.

I'm on drugs due to my knee
    Bartender ... a double of that, please.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post
    Bucket list:

A Southern Baptist preacher comparing Ellen DeGeneris with Jesus.

Check.
    Yeah, I kinda surprised myself.

Bartender ... a double of that, please.
    Because that Tramadol made me visit other planets with Arnold Schnizendigger and the Care Bears.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yeah, I kinda surprised myself.

Because that Tramadol made me visit other planets with Arnold Schnizendigger and the Care Bears.
    I like Tramadol - if you have left overs...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

6. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    radical strawberry
    Faith
    Humanist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So, this is interesting to me. The guy who is "LGBTQ-affirming" is critical of the woman who is actually LGBTQ.
    Say a gay guy went into a gay bar in SF and started shooting everyone up ... could ya figure why the gay police might arrest him, anyway? FWIW, I'm with Ellen on this one, too. Protesting Bush after he's out of the White House doesn't look like a good profit/loss ratio to me.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post
    Say a gay guy went into a gay bar in SF and started shooting everyone up ... could ya figure why the gay police might arrest him, anyway?
    Of course - in that scenario, he personally directly caused personal injury and/or death. It's not a case of somebody setting policies that cause other people to cause personal injury and/or death, which is Sam's case. Nor does Sam claim to be a "gay guy".

It's kinda like virtue signalling --- "as an LGBTQ-affirming person, I'm going to condemn the actions of an allegedly anti-LGBTQ person even though the actual LGBTQ person put that aside...."

FWIW, I'm with Ellen on this one, too. Protesting Bush after he's out of the White House doesn't look like a good profit/loss ratio to me.
    And, I'll stipulate that other LGBTQ persons seemed upset with her for "consorting with the enemy", but, in this case, I think she was the one showing real class.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Not really a surprising phenomenon; the LGBTQ community, among its members and its allies, is like any other: disagreements abound. There are going to be some LGBTQ people who agree with DeGeneres' approach. There are some who disagree. End of the day, you're going to be breaking bread with people you disagree with -- but a lot of people are still very affected by anti-LGBTQ policies, rhetoric, and culture that surrounds the 2004 marriage amendment. DeGeneres has a real conflict here between her friendship with Bush and the people he did a lot to cause harm.

--Sam
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Not really a surprising phenomenon; the LGBTQ community, among its members and its allies, is like any other: disagreements abound. There are going to be some LGBTQ people who agree with DeGeneres' approach. There are some who disagree. End of the day, you're going to be breaking bread with people you disagree with -- but a lot of people are still very affected by anti-LGBTQ policies, rhetoric, and culture that surrounds the 2004 marriage amendment. DeGeneres has a real conflict here between her friendship with Bush and the people he did a lot to cause harm.

--Sam
    Somehow, she managed to rise above it. As a Christian, it might be liberating for you to do so, as well.

11. Amen QuantaFille, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    We can say that DeGeneres, as a gay woman, is the "wronged party" regarding the 2004 marriage amendment. But that's not the argument: rather, it's that she is a member of the wronged party a leader, even. And that's a position she's kind of volunteered for. As such, she doesn't just have to grapple with the harm done to her but the harm done to her community and how others might be affected by watching one of the architects of a plan to rob gay people of the right to be married, who has never apologized or worked toward repentance, by memory, just get left off the hook.

It's a less black-and-white decision than the war and the torture, of course. But it is a sticking point.

--Sam
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"