Thread: Favorite obscure/lesser-known actors & actresses

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Favorite obscure/lesser-known actors & actresses

They don't have to be "obscure," exactly, but actors that wouldn't get mentioned as often in favorite lists (i.e., not Denzel Washington--even though he's great).

I really like Lance Reddick, even though he only ever seems to have bit parts, and not even that many I've seen, at that.

Probably best known for "Pictures of Spiderman!", I like J.K. Simmons.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

2. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    They don't have to be "obscure," exactly, but actors that wouldn't get mentioned as often in favorite lists (i.e., not Denzel Washington--even though he's great).

I really like Lance Reddick, even though he only ever seems to have bit parts, and not even that many I've seen, at that.

Probably best known for "Pictures of Spiderman!", I like J.K. Simmons.
    The young woman who plays the FBI Agent on Blacklist.

Elizabeth "Liz" Keen played by Meagan Boone
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

4. Amen Bill the Cat amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    A few off the top of my head:

Klaus Kinski was an awful human in real life, but a phenomenal actor. Major player in many of Werner Herzog's early films.

Dominique Pinon is a staple of Jean-Pierre Jeunet's films, but he started his career as an evil punk henchman in the 1981 French cult classic thriller, Diva.

Another pretty popular actor, but I just feel he doesn't get the props he deserves. From the manager on NewsRadio, to Milton on Office Space, the blind record producer on O Brother, Where Art Thou!, and dozens of other shows and movies besides. Stephen Root. In my opinion, one of the greats.

This is a recent one for me, but I find British actor Dan Stevens who plays the title character in Legion to be absolutely amazing. Tons of range. I have a feeling that he'll be a big name in a few years.

Actresses are much harder for me to pick, and I think that's because in Hollywood, there isn't much variety. They all tend to look similar, and play second fiddle to strong male leads. European cinema is a lot better in that regard, casting people who look like actual normal people, and not actors/actresses cut out of plastic molds.

That said, even though I wasn't a big fan of the film, I thought Florence Pugh's acting in Midsommar was outstanding.

Saoirse Ronan is another up and comer who is blowing my mind in the films like Hanna, The Grand Budapest Hotel, and Lady Bird.

Who is your favorite X is always a hard question for me. My mind blanks, and then all of a sudden I remember my favorites while showering or right before bed or whatever.

6. Amen Zymologist, Jim B. amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    David Thewlis, especially in Mike Leigh's "Naked"

Jeffrey Wright in just about everything I've seen him in, but especially in "Basquiat."

Carroll baker in "Baby Doll." She won the Oscar for that performance but is largely forgotten today.

Gena Rowlands in Cassavetes' "A Woman Under the Influence" possibly the greatest performance by an actress I've ever seen on film.

David Oyelowo in HBO's "Nightingale" and in "Selma."

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
    David Thewlis, especially in Mike Leigh's "Naked"

Jeffrey Wright in just about everything I've seen him in, but especially in "Basquiat."

Carroll baker in "Baby Doll." She won the Oscar for that performance but is largely forgotten today.

Gena Rowlands in Cassavetes' "A Woman Under the Influence" possibly the greatest performance by an actress I've ever seen on film.

David Oyelowo in HBO's "Nightingale" and in "Selma."
    Ooh. Really good picks. I haven't seen Naked or Baby Doll. Definitely putting those on my must see list. I loved Basquiat, and it's always nice seeing Bowie in cameo roles. I haven't seen A Woman Under the Influence yet, but it's on my list. The only Cassavetes films I've seen are Shadows and Faces.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    Ooh. Really good picks. I haven't seen Naked or Baby Doll. Definitely putting those on my must see list. I loved Basquiat, and it's always nice seeing Bowie in cameo roles. I haven't seen A Woman Under the Influence yet, but it's on my list. The only Cassavetes films I've seen are Shadows and Faces.
    Stephen Root has been very good in everything I've seen him in. I didn't even know at fist he was Milton from Office Space! He's like Philip Hoffman, kind of disappears into the role. And Kinski was almost demonically good - as you said, that quality bled over into his personal life.

10. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.