Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Elizabeth Warren's Pregnant Pause

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    I think you've wandered off in the weeds again ...
    Not at all, you have falsely accused several of your fellow Christians of things that are not true to support your ‘get Trump’ narrative.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
      ... There’s a whole bunch of positions between those two extremes.
      Yes there are. Which is why your question to Sam is absurd:

Source: lilpixieofterror

Number of poor immigrants currently living with you:

© Copyright Original Source

A person can, without any hypocrisy at all, advocate against the current immigration policies on the basis of Christs teachings without having to first make sure an immigrant is living in each room of their house, or even without having any immigrants living with them.

Jim
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Not at all, you have falsely accused several of your fellow Christians of things that are not true to support your ‘get Trump’ narrative.
        And exactly what accusations have I made recently that you believe would require an apology pix? And please, the precise text of what I said so your claim can also be evaluated for objectivity.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Yes there are. Which is why your question to Sam is absurd:

Source: lilpixieofterror

© Copyright Original Source

A person can, without any hypocrisy at all, advocate against the current immigration policies on the basis of Christs teachings without having to first make sure an immigrant is living in each room of their house, or even without having any immigrants living with them.

Jim
          One can also understand their opponents without resorting to portraying them as cartoon villains and falsely accusing them of not being True ChristiansTM too.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Or see if just once Charles actually complains about the same of behavior that triggers him when a conservative does it coming from those he agrees with that. Just once.
            Charles is not programmed to respond in that manner.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
              I usually save that for pirate captains. Landlubbers like CP don't rate breaking a sweat.

{Is that you, Nami?}
              Landlubber? ME? You're talking about somebody who, when only 15 years old, tried to paddle to Canada from Cleveland Ohio in an inner tube with a buddy.

(OK, maybe that's why I stay away from water now)
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Landlubber? ME? You're talking about somebody who, when only 15 years old, tried to paddle to Canada from Cleveland Ohio in an inner tube with a buddy.

ok ... that explains a lot

Comment

One can also understand their opponents without resorting to portraying them as cartoon villains and falsely accusing them of not being True ChristiansTM too.
                  somthin' eatin atcha pix?

Comment

ok ... that explains a lot
                    It was so cool being pulled aboard a US Coast Guard cutter in the middle of Lake Erie!

(And, I just did the math - I was 12, not 15)

Comment

somthin' eatin atcha pix?
                      I thought the game was accuse our opponents of the most extreme positions possible and charge them with not being a True ChristianTM if they didn’t live up to the standards we set up. Is that not how this game works or is this only a one way game where you get to do that and your opponents can’t?
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

This is the attack line people use so they don't have to confront their support or disregard for cruel and unChristian refugee policies. Even then, it's based on the ignorant assumption that refugees have to be hosted by a family instead of living in their own domicile (the preferred method of resettlement in most, if not all states).

It's just a way to say "Oh yeah?!" without ever once dealing with an indefensible policy.

--Sam
                        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

I thought the game was accuse our opponents of the most extreme positions possible and charge them with not being a True ChristianTM if they didn’t live up to the standards we set up. Is that not how this game works or is this only a one way game where you get to do that and your opponents can’t?

The standard being set for you is not "Host immigrants in your home" -- though if you are presented the opportunity and have the means, you probably should.

The standard is that we, as Christians, need to advocate for immigrants fleeing danger and violence, seeking their welcome and safety in America, where we have plenty. Maybe that involves considerable time or financial donation for some Christians, maybe not -- what and how far God calls each varies -- but it unquestionably involves supporting a kind and welcoming immigration policy and opposing cruel and ineffectual policies like family separation or Remain in Mexico or metering or "expedited" asylum hearings that deny asylum seekers their due process.

Christian ethics, in other words, demands at least the minimum from you when it comes to civic engagement.

--Sam
                          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

ah - so no specifics, just a lot of raggin'. Ok. Whatever makes you happy.

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              It was so cool being pulled aboard a US Coast Guard cutter in the middle of Lake Erie!

(And, I just did the math - I was 12, not 15)
                              Any real consequences? I have a few of those myself. Almost took off a friend's ear and started a bush fire in a public park trying to see what happens when you launch an estes model rocket engine with fins glued to it and no launch rod or pad. We got the fire out before it grew to criminal proportions. The idea was if you take away the weight of rocket holding the engine, it will go REALLY high ...

Amazing we survived - isn't it

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                                This is the attack line people use so they don't have to confront their support or disregard for cruel and unChristian refugee policies. Even then, it's based on the ignorant assumption that refugees have to be hosted by a family instead of living in their own domicile (the preferred method of resettlement in most, if not all states).

It's just a way to say "Oh yeah?!" without ever once dealing with an indefensible policy.

--Sam
                                So the answer to:

What are you doing, beyond berating your fellow Christians, for daring to disagree with you, is:

Nothing.

Thanks for playing.
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment