Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Elizabeth Warren's Pregnant Pause

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    No, because you know what the effect of these policies has been in terms of forced separations of families, sometimes the complete loss of records or information about how to reunite children with their parents. You know about people who are under threat of death but the excessive and poorly thought out policies of this administration actually block them from seeking asylum. And you know about the attempt to get rid of medical visas where children here for life sustaining medical treatment were told they had to leave in spite of the fact they'd likely die.

You know about all that, yet you play the game of 'what hostile response'

Hence you are not interested in honest discussion of the issues.

Jim
    You TOTALLY got this wrong, Jim. I was treating you with respect, I asked a simple question. While I thought this was more "Trump's a horrible man", I thought maybe you were saying that I had done something to make you think it was me who was...

Like I said - I thought maybe you thought *I* had said something that indicated a "hostile, abusive response to those issues" - your words.

For you to tell me that, because I asked a simple question, I'm not "interested in honest discussion of the issue", you are calling me a liar, "friend".

No wonder you go on these "there are no friend" depression rants. When somebody DOES try to have a discussion with you as a friend, you kick them in the teeth.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
      My read is that for many -- even most -- people, it's about fear.
      Perhaps fear is your wheelhouse, Sam.

Have a great day.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        You TOTALLY got this wrong, Jim. I was treating you with respect, I asked a simple question. While I thought this was more "Trump's a horrible man", I thought maybe you were saying that I had done something to make you think it was me who was...

Like I said - I thought maybe you thought *I* had said something that indicated a "hostile, abusive response to those issues" - your words.

For you to tell me that, because I asked a simple question, I'm not "interested in honest discussion of the issue", you are calling me a liar, "friend".

No wonder you go on these "there are no friend" depression rants. When somebody DOES try to have a discussion with you as a friend, you kick them in the teeth.
        I can't help but note that, once again, the essence of the discussion got lost. It is rather hard for me to see how you could miss Ox's point. Anyway to me the central and still unanswered point that Ox made was this:

[...]you know what the effect of these policies has been in terms of forced separations of families, sometimes the complete loss of records or information about how to reunite children with their parents. You know about people who are under threat of death but the excessive and poorly thought out policies of this administration actually block them from seeking asylum. And you know about the attempt to get rid of medical visas where children here for life sustaining medical treatment were told they had to leave in spite of the fact they'd likely die.
        Points along those lines have been made several times in this post and elsewhere on tweb and remain unanswered. A lot of noise is created about anything but the most important parts. We are long past the number of times you can credibly fail to adress the points made.
        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Perhaps fear is your wheelhouse, Sam.

Have a great day.
          You, too, CP.

Just on the side, I don't find it friendly to take the first sentence of a long explanatory post and send over a snipey comment. I understand it's getting "hot" here with the back and forth but I gave you a reasoned, evidenced explanation for my view. If the discussion isn't meant to continue, we can leave it at "Have a great day".

And weekend. Have a great weekend,

--Sam
          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

I don't understand why you have to get like this, Jim --- I haven't been the least bit confrontational or disagreeable with you.
            I didn't know what you referring to, so I did what I thought was the decent thing -- I ASKED.

I thought maybe you thought *I* had said something that indicated a "hostile, abusive response to those issues" - your words.

This is not the first time you've responded like this to me, and there's no call for it at all.
            Yikes. Even when we try it goes wrong.

Look, in the interests of clarity I probably should have said,

Originally posted by alternate oxmixmudd phrasing
            But a hostile, abusive response to those issues as we are seeing from the white house is just wrong.
            But it never occurred to me that you would consider youself having given a response to 'those issues' in terms of trying to fix the problems you described.

Like wise, you probably should have said:

Originally posted by alternate CP phrasing
            What hostile responses of mine are you talking about
            Had each of us done that, there would not have been misunderstanding one of the other.

CP - there is such a culture of hostility and sarcasm here things are bound to go wrong. There is no way around it unless that changes, or unless we establish ourselves as people that simply do not EVER participate in that on these pages.

I will apologize for not asking what you were getting at one post earlier than I did - which was the first time it occurred to me you might not be being sarcastic or callous. But for there to ever be communication the sarcasm, the snide nasty comments have to stop. Because the way it is now, there is no way to be able to extend the benefit of the doubt when something said appears to be nasty, snide, sarcastic.

I'm frustrated this little sidebar went sideways too. I don't like it. I don't want it. At the same time, there is so much hostility as a general rule here that I am not capable of always reacting calmly, taking the time to make absolutely sure the fellow was not being as snide or nasty as they appeared to be.

Shall we try again?

Jim
            Last edited by oxmixmudd; 10-19-2019, 12:35 PM.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

You, too, CP.

Just on the side, I don't find it friendly to take the first sentence of a long explanatory post and send over a snipey comment.
              I don't get wrankled about such things, Sam.

I understand it's getting "hot" here with the back and forth but I gave you a reasoned, evidenced explanation for my view. If the discussion isn't meant to continue, we can leave it at "Have a great day".

And weekend. Have a great weekend,

--Sam
              I just didn't feel like arguing, Sam - I don't believe you will ever change your mind once you've made it up, so it's a waste of both of our time to keep at it.

And, I don't know if you noticed or not, but I have been WAY more cordial to JimL, was TRYING to be polite and respectful to Ox.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                Yikes. Even when we try it goes wrong.

Look, in the interests of clarity I probably should have said,

But it never occurred to me that you would consider youself having given a response to 'those issues' in terms of trying to fix the problems you described.

Like wise, you probably should have said:

Had each of us done that, there would not have been misunderstanding one of the other.
                No, Jim - I have been treating you as a friend - you have been lumping me in with your supposed enemies.

CP - there is such a culture of hostility and sarcasm here things are bound to go wrong. There is no way around it unless that changes, or unless we establish ourselves as people that simply do not EVER participate in that on these pages.

I will apologize for not asking what you were getting at one post earlier than I did - which was the first time it occurred to me you might not be being sarcastic or callous. But for there to ever be communication the sarcasm, the snide nasty comments have to stop. Because the way it is now, there is no way to be able to extend the benefit of the doubt when something said appears to be nasty, snide, sarcastic.
                Have I been making snide nasty comments to you, Jim?

I'm frustrated this little sidebar went sideways too. I don't like it. I don't want it. At the same time, there is so much hostility as a general rule here that I am not capable of always reacting calmly, taking the time to make absolutely sure the fellow was not being as snide or nasty as they appeared to be.

Shall we try again?
                I have been treating you as a friend, Jim, if - for nothing else - for old times' sake. You, on the other hand, have been lumping me in with your supposed enemies.

In my opinion, that would be a good place to start - as long as you're in "I'm fighting all my enemies" mode, you're going to see insult where there is none intended at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                  I can't help but note that....
                  Ya know, if you'd mind your own business, maybe the waters wouldn't be so muddled and those of us who are trying to speak to each other wouldn't get derailed with your incessant meddling.

Comment

Ya know, if you'd mind your own business, maybe the waters wouldn't be so muddled and those of us who are trying to speak to each other wouldn't get derailed with your incessant meddling.
                    But then that is pretty much the only thing he does...

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      But then that is pretty much the only thing he does...
                      He's like the creepy little guy in the bar who whispers "did you hear what he said about your mum*"?

*Where did THAT come from, you might ask. My wife is watching a British based baking show.

Comment

He's like the creepy little guy in the bar who whispers "did you hear what he said about your mum*"?

*Where did THAT come from, you might ask. My wife is watching a British based baking show.
                        Speaking of the Brits, back in the day they called that sort of bloke a "mixer." In an old B&W Beatles movie that's what Paul or John's uncle was supposed to be -- getting the group's agent and manager to squabble after he told one of them that the other is taller than he is -- on purpose.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Speaking of the Brits, back in the day they called that sort of bloke a "mixer." In an old B&W Beatles movie that's what Paul or John's uncle was supposed to be -- getting the group's agent and manager to squabble after he told one of them that the other is taller than he is -- on purpose.
                          I'm thinking we wouldn't have near the hostility between posters if Charles would just shut his yap and stop trying to .... ( better word for Nanny ) ..... mediate?

Comment

I don't get wrankled about such things, Sam.

I just didn't feel like arguing, Sam - I don't believe you will ever change your mind once you've made it up, so it's a waste of both of our time to keep at it.

And, I don't know if you noticed or not, but I have been WAY more cordial to JimL, was TRYING to be polite and respectful to Ox.

I have noticed and I should have mentioned that. Sincerely, thank you -- I know it's difficult for all of us, especially online and dealing with multiple people at once.

I mean it when I hope you have a great weekend,

--Sam
                            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

I have noticed and I should have mentioned that. Sincerely, thank you -- I know it's difficult for all of us, especially online and dealing with multiple people at once.

I mean it when I hope you have a great weekend,

--Sam
                              Me, too, Sam.

And every time I think of the name "Sam" on this board, I can't help but think of Ralph...

Comment

No, Jim - I have been treating you as a friend - you have been lumping me in with your supposed enemies.

Have I been making snide nasty comments to you, Jim?

I have been treating you as a friend, Jim, if - for nothing else - for old times' sake. You, on the other hand, have been lumping me in with your supposed enemies.

In my opinion, that would be a good place to start - as long as you're in "I'm fighting all my enemies" mode, you're going to see insult where there is none intended at all.
                                It takes two cp. Things have been good, but it looked to me like you had reverted. I've admitted my mistake, but I can only work on my end of it.

Jim
                                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment