Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Elizabeth Warren's Pregnant Pause

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Whether or not you were serious...
    Whatever you say, Jim.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

5 years ago Republicans would have declared anyone engaging in such was a traitor that was undermining our democracy.

Jim
      Even five months ... five weeks ago, that poll would look about the same for Democrats, a little different for indpendents and a lot different for Republicans.

We are living in unmoored times.

--Sam
      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

5 years ago Republicans would have declared anyone engaging in such was a traitor that was undermining our democracy.

Jim
        Is that why the Democrats used foreigners to compile together a report and used such report as an excuse to spy on the oppositions campaign?
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          Point was, people who disagree with you used to respect you.

No one does now - and you already know why. All the verbiage is just defensive flak so you don't have to acknowledge the truth that you've changed in a bad way.
          There are some people who have convinced themselves that Trump is so irredeemably evil that they are justified behaving in this way towards anybody who doesn't share their opinion.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Calm yourself, big guy, and summon your sense of humor.

I really didn't think I needed to add sarcasm tags to... "I NEVER do that ".
            Well, then, you were being hypocritical, big guy. If you do it too, which btw we all do, then why are you criticizing Charles?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
              Well, then, you were being hypocritical, big guy. If you do it too, which btw we all do, then why are you criticizing Charles?
              Sheeeeesh - ANOTHER guy with no sense of humor!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                Even five months ... five weeks ago, that poll would look about the same for Democrats, a little different for indpendents and a lot different for Republicans.

We are living in unmoored times.

--Sam
                Which is why you should be suspicious of any poll that shows such a dramatic change in opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  Which is why you should be suspicious of any poll that shows such a dramatic change in opinion.
                  No, I'm pretty sure most Republicans will decide it's bad again when convenient. The polls will undoubtedly revert to the mean as public events dictate.

--Sam
                  "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

There are some people who have convinced themselves that Trump is so irredeemably evil that they are justified behaving in this way towards anybody who doesn't share their opinion.
                    Strange to be getting civility criticism from the guy who's known for swapping out members' names with low-grade insults, I admit.

--Sam

Comment

Strange to be getting civility criticism from the guy who's known for swapping out members' names with low-grade insults, I admit.

--Sam
                      You offend me, sir! I only deal in the highest grade insults!

Comment

No, I'm pretty sure most Republicans will decide it's bad again when convenient. The polls will undoubtedly revert to the mean as public events dictate.

--Sam
                        Oh, I get it, it must be true because it fits your narrative.

Comment

Certainly, there's been some change.

By whom and how far is the question. I feel fairly confident that I'm not excusing behaviors or defending policies today that I wouldn't have a few years ago. I would charitably propose the same can't be said of some others.

--Sam
                          Misdirection - not fooling anyone.
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

You offend me, sir! I only deal in the highest grade insults!
                            If that's the idea, I promise you there are skies higher than you can dream. Rise to them.

Comment

Oh, I get it, it must be true because it fits your narrative.
                              Not to belabor my point about shared reality but it's a poll from a reputable pollster. It's "true" because that's how the survey respondents answered the pollster's question.

--Sam

Comment

What makes them unreliable is the change. Polls use minuscule sample sizes so to compensate they use a technique called weighting. The problem is it's just an educated guess - which becomes much less educated when the population changes significantly.
                                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment