Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Elizabeth Warren's Pregnant Pause

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Pix, I frequently disagree with Ox, and I push back when he's in his "everybody attacks me" mode, but you can't honestly claim he's in "rage mode". Perhaps we can all dial the hostility down a tad? I'm actually trying that with JimL, with mixed results.
    Who are you telling me to dial it down? Huh? Huh? There's no way that I'm angry, you nudger of herbivores, you...

... oh, wait.

I might have let my emotions get the better of me...
    ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
      Who are you telling me to dial it down? Huh? Huh? There's no way that I'm angry, you nudger of herbivores, you...

... oh, wait.

Yeah, I'm trying something new.... In another thread, I said to JimL....

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Because we've been reading each other's posts with extreme prejudice. I'm trying not to do that anymore.

I'm imagining sitting at a table with my opponents having a cup of coffee. There are things we would NEVER say to each other eyeball to eyeball that we say in writing on a public forum with our own audiences watching.

(Do you even drink coffee?)
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        Than he should stop with the false accusations.
        I accidentally amen'd this post, Pix. I actually don't agree.

Our own conduct should not be determined by our interpretation of what others say.

I really don't think that any reasonable reading of Ox's post - regardless of how wrong you think he might be - would rise to the level of "rage mode".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I accidentally amen'd this post, Pix. I actually don't agree.

Our own conduct should not be determined by our interpretation of what others say.

I really don't think that any reasonable reading of Ox's post - regardless of how wrong you think he might be - rise to the level of "rage mode".
          CP, he either didn’t read what had been said very well or flat out lied.

His claim:

“You have no problem identifying wrong doing in anyone other than Trump.”

That’s not true and his entire rant is based on that falsehood.

Is Trump immoral? Yes.
          Does Trump lie a lot? Yes.
          Does Trump have issues with shoving both feet in his mouth? Yes.
          Is Trump uniquely evil? No.

This is his problem, he is really stuck in rage mode and if you don’t think everything Trump does is evil or the worse thing ever, you’re making excuses for him. It’s either/or, no in between, thus why conversations always breaks down.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Who are you telling me to dial it down? Huh? Huh? There's no way that I'm angry, you nudger of herbivores prodder of bovines, you...

... oh, wait.

FIFY n/c.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Sweety, I know you’re in ‘I must defend democrats, at all cost’ mode, but forcing people to do what you want or else isn’t how a free society works and isn’t how you make people accept you. People should have the right to choose who they want to work for and not work for. Shoving it down their throats is how you ended up with Trump in 2016 and threatening to make it worse and using the government to shove it further down their throats is how you end up with another 4 years of Trump. Keep it up Sam, I’d love to watch Democrats lose the White House and their 2018 gains.

If you care more about not being "forced" to provide business to people regardless of class than you care about children and families seeking asylum to be locked in cages for weeks and held indefinitely in detention or turned back into a dangerous Mexican region where they're vulnerable to rape, kidnapping, or death then there's something deeply wrong with your soul.

That applies to everyone.

--Sam
              "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                If you care more about not being "forced" to provide business to people regardless of class than you care about children and families seeking asylum to be locked in cages for weeks and held indefinitely in detention or turned back into a dangerous Mexican region where they're vulnerable to rape, kidnapping, or death then there's something deeply wrong with your soul.

--Sam
                Psst, Obama was locking people into cages years before Democrats suddenly cared and tried to lie about what was going on, to score political points, but let’s toss you a bone:

How do you figure out who is here seeking asylum from those trafficking drugs, human traffickers, or criminals looking for new opportunities without holding them?

Yet again, you guilt trip people and try to get them to think emotionally vs rationally. Walking through a country that has said they’ll take you in, to reach the US, is ignored. Why?
                Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 10-17-2019, 10:34 AM.
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

--Sam
                  Folks who attempt to shame others who don't support their policies supporting open borders and allowing any and every one who wants in to come in should first demonstrate that they walk the walk by disclosing just how many illegals they have let move in with them.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Folks who attempt to shame others who don't support their policies supporting open borders and allowing any and every one who wants in to come in should first demonstrate that they walk the walk by disclosing just how many illegals they have let move in with them.
                    Or at least come up with a plan to prevent criminals from taking advantage of it. What’s a few thousand women and children sold into sex slavery as long as it gives an excuse to hate Trump?
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Not sure what happened to you, man, but it's depressing. Since when are asylum seeking families "illegals"? Since when do you label people like that?

Many of us are active supporters of asylum seekers and refugees. Because it's a Christian mandate. Others have gotten themselves into the mindset where they can call those people "illegals" and that having to serve some gay couple under the rule of anti-discrimination law is worse than these kids being locked up for years or taken from their parents or left to die from gang or state violence in Honduras.

--Sam
                      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

CP, he either didn’t read what had been said very well or flat out lied.

His claim:

“You have no problem identifying wrong doing in anyone other than Trump.”

That’s not true and his entire rant is based on that falsehood.

Is Trump immoral? Yes.
                        Does Trump lie a lot? Yes.
                        Does Trump have issues with shoving both feet in his mouth? Yes.
                        Is Trump uniquely evil? No.

This is his problem, he is really stuck in rage mode and if you don’t think everything Trump does is evil or the worse thing ever, you’re making excuses for him. It’s either/or, no in between, thus why conversations always breaks down.
                        I've seen nothing to make me think that Trump is any worse morally than the average person. I doubt that any of us would look so good if we were subjected to same intense scrutiny where he can't even tell a joke without being accused of lying.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Not sure what happened to you, man, but it's depressing. Since when are asylum seeking families "illegals"? Since when do you label people like that?
                          Sam, there are legal ways to seek asylum. Entering our country illegally makes one an "illegal alien". "People" (I italicized mine, too for dramatic effect) who commit crimes are criminals. People who enter this country legally are legal residents or citizens. People can do dumb and or illegal things and still be classified as people.

Many of us are active supporters of asylum seekers and refugees. Because it's a Christian mandate. Others have gotten themselves into the mindset where they can call those people "illegals" and that having to serve some gay couple under the rule of anti-discrimination law is worse than these kids being locked up for years or taken from their parents or left to die from gang or state violence in Honduras.

--Sam
                          That's a whole 'nuther can of worms you opened, Sam. There's a world of difference between "serving some gay couple" breakfast or coffee or dinner, which I don't think ANY of us object to - and being sued for declining to design and bake a cake or photograph a gay wedding which is against our sincerely held religious convictions.

Not sure what happened to you, man, but it's depressing. (see, I can play that game, too)

Your attempt to shame us for not adhering to your own very liberal version of Christianity just doesn't work.

Comment

And I'm thankful for it.
                            Welcome.

--Sam
                            You started it.
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

... oh, wait.

Really? You didn't yell 'gum gum pistol' or anything...
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Sam, there are legal ways to seek asylum. Entering our country illegally makes one an "illegal alien". "People" (I italicized mine, too for dramatic effect) who commit crimes are criminals. People who enter this country legally are legal residents or citizens. People can do dumb and or illegal things and still be classified as people.

That's a whole 'nuther can of worms you opened, Sam. There's a world of difference between "serving some gay couple" breakfast or coffee or dinner, which I don't think ANY of us object to - and being sued for declining to design and bake a cake or photograph a gay wedding which is against our sincerely held religious convictions.

Not sure what happened to you, man, but it's depressing. (see, I can play that game, too)

Your attempt to shame us for not adhering to your own very liberal version of Christianity just doesn't work.

I don't need to relitigate the entire breadth of how y'all are being willfully ignorant of the situation. The Trump administration is taking people who legally applied for asylum and putting them in indefinite detention. They're refusing people access to asylum by "metering" points of entry down to a negligible number of applicants per day. They are taking people who legally apply for asylum at PoEs and turning them back into Mexico while they "wait" for their asylum trial.

Y'all are just stuck using a false dichotomy without taking even a small amount of time to learn what's happening to legal asylum seekers. Not that it matters: the idea that you have to "give to Caesar what is Caesar's" by baking a wedding cake is worse than locking up immigrants for years while they await an asylum trial because they crossed the Rio Grand 100m from a PoE isn't just ludicrous, it's deeply sinful -- the straining of a gnat to swallow a camel.

And if someone tries to flip that around to make baking a cake more morally compromising than putting asylum seekers in jail for years or sending them back into dangerous territory, I'm going to call them on it so others can see that not all Christians have gone insane.

--Sam

Comment