Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Elizabeth Warren's Pregnant Pause

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    You really would help your case if you didn't go to extremes with your attacks, Jim. What "treason" did Nixon commit?
    Nixon, while still just a candidate, secretly negotiated with the Vietnamese not to negotiate a peace treaty with the Johnson administration until after the election in order to better his chances of being elected.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
      Just answering the issue you claimed I was avoiding, despite having answered it earlier. Not sure what "cherry picked outliers" refers to when I'm talking about poll aggregates and prediction sites but it's not something to put a great deal of stress into, either.

--Sam
      Dancing in the weeds isn't answering the issue.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
        Nixon, while still just a candidate, secretly negotiated with the Vietnamese not to negotiate a peace treaty with the Johnson administration until after the election in order to better his chances of being elected.
        Treason has a legal definition, Jim. Calling a dog's tail a leg does not mean the dog has five legs.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
          Math is always right. But the wrong math can be used to describe a problem, and models can be incomplete.

science is a methodology that if properly followed does not lie. Though the solution it generates is not guaranteed to be correct in the sense of correctly describing the reality it is investigating.

People can lie about what is scientifically supported, or they can lie about what they did in their research. But science itself does not 'lie'.

Jim
          Never explain the joke.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
            Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Treason has a legal definition, Jim. Calling a dog's tail a leg does not mean the dog has five legs.
            I'm going to back down on this - I did a lot more reading, and though I still don't think it's technically legally "treason", it's close enough that experts can't seem to agree. So, walks like it, talks like it....

And far be it from me to want to defend Richard Nixon's character!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm going to back down on this - I did a lot more reading, and though I still don't think it's technically legally "treason", it's close enough that experts can't seem to agree. So, walks like it, talks like it....

And far be it from me to want to defend Richard Nixon's character!
              Not accusing you CP, but as a general comment, far worse that Nixon is being defended on these pages.

Jim
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Not accusing you CP, but as a general comment, far worse that Nixon is being defended on these pages.

Jim
                I don't think you'll find a single post where I defend Trump's character, in spite of the rampant false allegations that I do so "at every turn".

Comment

I don't think you'll find a single post where I defend Trump's character, in spite of the rampant false allegations that I do so "at every turn".
                  CP - what part of "Not accusing you CP" was unclear?

You mentioned nixon and that you would not defend him, so that triggered my response. I am not accusing you of defending Trump. Others are defending Trump. And I am saying that Trump is worse than Nixon.

Jim
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

CP - what part of "Not accusing you CP" was unclear?

You mentioned nixon and that you would not defend him, so that triggered my response. I am not accusing you of defending Trump. Others are defending Trump. And I am saying that Trump is worse than Nixon.

Jim
                    Jim - did you miss the "thumbs up" at the end of my post?

Seriously --- are you LOOKING to be offended?

Comment

Jim - did you miss the "thumbs up" at the end of my post?

Seriously --- are you LOOKING to be offended?
                      I DID miss the thumbs up. Sorry about that!

But I was not offended, I was pointing out I had made an effort to avoid offending you and that it had apparently failed.

I got that impression from the text, which because I did not notice the tiny (on my phone) thumbs up symbol, seemed to be expressing annoyance at being accused of supporting Trump again.

Jim
                      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 10-15-2019, 02:30 PM.

Comment

I DID miss the thumbs up. Sorry about that!

But I was not offended, I was pointing out I had made an effort to avoid offending you and that it had apparently failed.

I got that impression from the text, which because I did not notice the tiny (on my phone) thumbs up symbol, seemed to be expressing annoyance at being accused of supporting Trump again.

Jim
                        I am not easily annoyed Jim, particularly not by you.

And I get it - missing the "thumbs up" - all is well.

Comment

I am not easily annoyed Jim, particularly not by you.

And I get it - missing the "thumbs up" - all is well.
                          TDS often makes those suffering from it lose all sense of humor and makes said suffer a black/white thinker.
                          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Jim
                            I know it might surprise you, but even Nixon can have a few good points. Your black/white thought process is showing again.
                            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                              What about them? Truman was never AFAICT considered one of the worst presidents.
                              Truman has among the lowest approvals of a modern president. He also used to be rated lower than he is today. His approval rating was 36% in 1948, making many think he was going to lose. So confident about this prediction that the Chicago Daily Tribute printed ‘Dewey Defeats Truman’ the night before the election. Truman even took a picture holding up the newspaper. Look for yourself Roy, see if any of these facts are incorrect. Truman was indeed one of the lowest ranked presidents, until years after he left office.
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                                I'm afraid this is wrong, for much the same reason LPOT was wrong: what the polls in question were indicating was that Clinton was leading Trump nationally by ~3.2%. That's it -- they were not indicating that Clinton would win the EC. Clinton ended up leading Trump in the national vote by 2.1%; statistically, the polls were solid.

You and LPOT are taking an inference from national polling and saying that because that inference didn't happen, the polls were "wrong". This is incorrect and even if we switch over from national polling to Election Day predictions, prediction sites like 538 or PEC or PredicitIt all certainly -did- consider the possibility of a Trump victory and displayed that statistic fairly prominently.

--Sam
                                Thus trying to get Sam to understand multiple predictions, got it wrong, continues to be a waste of time.
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment