Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Elizabeth Warren's Pregnant Pause

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
    Last I checked, Trump's 2016 campaign site still featured an entire page dedicated to his proposed Muslim ban. And plenty of "religious freedom" Christians voted for him while he was proposing it.
    It was on his website? Source please. Meanwhile, what actually happened is a temporary ban was placed, on some countries. A far cry from a ‘Muslim ban’.

And anyone who did owns it and will own it forever. Anyone trying to claim that Trump represents religious freedom, even now, is either lying to themselves or others.
    Sayeth the person trying to excuse away Democrat’s trampling on or saying they will trampling on, religious liberty. Try a new excuse.
    Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 10-16-2019, 12:33 PM.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• The unfortunate point is that it doesn't require brilliance to understand statistics, polling and probability. Like I said, a middle school education would do for this one.

--Sam
      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        Proposed vs actually what happened. What actually happened is a temporary ban was placed, on some countries. A far cry from ‘Muslim ban’.

Sayeth the person trying to excuse away Democrat’s trampling on or saying they will trampling on, religious liberty. Try a new excuse.

Your post was about the choice of Clinton vs. Trump -- what they were proposing to do and what choice voters therefore had.

I believe I have a post on the O'Rourke thread criticizing his idea to strip churches of tax exempt status over SSM.

Your "punch back" tactic of debate continues to fail because you don't take the time to think through your attack lines.

--Sam
        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Your post was about the choice of Clinton vs. Trump -- what they were proposing to do and what choice voters therefore had.

I believe I have a post on the O'Rourke thread criticizing his idea to strip churches of tax exempt status over SSM.

Your "punch back" tactic of debate continues to fail because you don't take the time to think through your attack lines.

--Sam
          And we reached the point where Sam simply declared himself true by default. On the one hand, you claim that Trump:

“Had a whole page to a Muslim ban, on his website.”

Where did you get that from? What I have found was Trump said there needed to be a Muslim ban until congress figured out what was going on. I can’t seem to find these references to a web site, so where did you get that from? Are you trying to make Trump sound much worse than what he actually said, so you can than claim moral superiority? Show me the documented evidence for this web page and what it said.

Edited to add:

Found a reference to it, it doesn’t exist on the page anymore, but the quote of “Until congress figures out what is going on” seems to have also been featured there. It also seems his position evolved from ‘Muslim ban’ to ‘terrorist ban’. To be fair.
          Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 10-16-2019, 12:44 PM.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Last I checked, Trump's 2016 campaign site still featured an entire page dedicated to his proposed Muslim ban. And plenty of "religious freedom" Christians voted for him while he was proposing it.

And anyone who did owns it and will own it forever. Anyone trying to claim that Trump represents religious freedom, even now, is either lying to themselves or others.

--Sam
            Well considering that there never was any "Muslim ban" I have to wonder about your ability to "check" things.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Well considering that there never was any "Muslim ban" I have to wonder about your ability to "check" things.
              What on earth does "2016 campaign site" mean to you?

Comment

As I just found, it said, “until Congress can figure out what is going on’ and it apparently evolved to a ‘terrorist ban’ pre 2016 win. Are you trying to make it sound much worse, than it actually was?
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

It was on his website? Source please. Meanwhile, what actually happened is a temporary ban was placed, on some countries. A far cry from a ‘Muslim ban’.

It was on countries that were so "broken" that they were incapable of vetting those boarding an airplane from there. It didn't matter if you're Muslim, Christian, Jewish, Shintoist, Hindu, Taoist, Atheist or whatever. If it was a Muslim ban then you'd see countries like Pakistan, Indonesia, India, Bangladesh and Egypt on it. Those 5 countries alone account for just under half of the world's Muslims.

And let's not forget that this list was actually put together by the Obama Administration (in spite of spurious stories circulated by the MSM that they were countries that Trump didn't do business with).

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Wrong question. What "Muslim ban"?

Comment

As I just found, it said, “until Congress can figure out what is going on’ and it apparently evolved to a ‘terrorist ban’ pre 2016 win. Are you trying to make it sound much worse, than it actually was?
                      It did not evolve to a "terrorist ban", it evolved into the Travel Ban that's still in place today. And it didn't evolve pre-election; the page proposing a ban on Muslim travel was on the site until May 2017.

I am very certain that it was a topic of discussion on this site and fairly certain that both of you were participants.

nintchdbpict000281300407.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        It was on countries that were so "broken" that they were incapable of vetting those boarding an airplane from there. It didn't matter if you're Muslim, Christian, Jewish, Shintoist, Hindu, Taoist, Atheist or whatever. If it was a Muslim ban then you'd see countries like Pakistan, Indonesia, India, Bangladesh and Egypt on it. Those 5 countries alone account for just under half of the world's Muslims.

And let's not forget that this list was actually put together by the Obama Administration (in spite of spurious stories circulated by the MSM that they were countries that Trump didn't do business with).
                        Sam and his fellow liberals seem to latch onto the early ‘Muslim ban’ statement and flat ignore that it evolved. Trump has a tendency to stick both his feet into his mouth, but it’s revealing that Sam has flat ignored the developed view and walk back to ‘terrorism ban’.
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

It did not evolve to a "terrorist ban", it evolved into the Travel Ban that's still in place today. And it didn't evolve pre-election; the page proposing a ban on Muslim travel was on the site until May 2017.

I am very certain that it was a topic of discussion on this site and fairly certain that both of you were participants.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40273[/ATTACH]
                          Nearly 4 years ago was a long time ago. I’m lucky I remember where my toothbrush is at, let alone a nearly 4 year ago thread. Anyway, yeah it did Sam. I read through the developing story and that’s where it started and it ended no where near that start.

I hope you enjoy your state approved Church.
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Sam and his fellow liberals seem to latch onto the early ‘Muslim ban’ statement and flat ignore that it evolved. Trump has a tendency to stick both his feet into his mouth, but it’s revealing that Sam has flat ignored the developed view and walk back to ‘terrorism ban’.
                            The "developed view" was that Trump reportedly told Giuliani to make the Muslim ban legal and it took them three tries before they got something that John Roberts could let go on the basis of "you can't examine the President's previous statements to determine motivation" (paraphrase).

But you were talking about what the candidates were proposing in 2016. It's not like O'Rourke would ever get his tax exemption proposal enacted, either.

--Sam

Comment

Truman has among the lowest approvals of a modern president. He also used to be rated lower than he is today. His approval rating was 36% in 1948, making many think he was going to lose. So confident about this prediction that the Chicago Daily Tribute printed ‘Dewey Defeats Truman’ the night before the election. Truman even took a picture holding up the newspaper. Look for yourself Roy, see if any of these facts are incorrect.
                              I looked before I posted. Truman is considered to have been a better president than all but one of those that have succeeded him [1]. Most presidents have had lower than 36% approval at some point during their terms[2]. Also, approval ratings don't necessarily tell you how a president is viewed in comparison to previous presidents.

Though it does seem that Truman was disapproved of late in his tenure, but now has a good presidential reputation.
                              Last edited by Roy; 10-16-2019, 01:12 PM.
                              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

The "developed view" was that Trump reportedly told Giuliani to make the Muslim ban legal and it took them three tries before they got something that John Roberts could let go on the basis of "you can't examine the President's previous statements to determine motivation" (paraphrase).

But you were talking about what the candidates were proposing in 2016. It's not like O'Rourke would ever get his tax exemption proposal enacted, either.

--Sam
                                The ever ‘unnamed sources said....’ view. Just lovely.

Remember, his audience applauded it and really liked the idea of using the IRS to force compliance.
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment