Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Elizabeth Warren's Pregnant Pause

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Folks who attempt to shame others who don't support their policies supporting open borders and allowing any and every one who wants in to come in should first demonstrate that they walk the walk by disclosing just how many illegals they have let move in with them.
    It is perhaps a little convenient to assume people who disagree with you are trying to "shame" you. It could be that they honestly believe you are wrong. By calling it "shaming" you are reducing what could be fair points to some sort of evil strategy.

And in these cases it seems unfair to talk about "policies". We are talking about situations in which people are being treated in inhuman ways. To simply refer to that as "policies" is to miss the true horror. And do you actually believe those you disagree with actually reason along those lines you present or do you realize it is a straw man? Do you realize that you are avoiding the serious issues by presenting a straw man presentation about what others are saying?
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
      I don't need to relitigate the entire breadth of how y'all are being willfully ignorant of the situation. The Trump administration is taking people who legally applied for asylum and putting them in indefinite detention. They're refusing people access to asylum by "metering" points of entry down to a negligible number of applicants per day. They are taking people who legally apply for asylum at PoEs and turning them back into Mexico while they "wait" for their asylum trial.

Y'all are just stuck using a false dichotomy without taking even a small amount of time to learn what's happening to legal asylum seekers. Not that it matters: the idea that you have to "give to Caesar what is Caesar's" by baking a wedding cake is worse than locking up immigrants for years while they await an asylum trial because they crossed the Rio Grand 100m from a PoE isn't just ludicrous, it's deeply sinful -- the straining of a gnat to swallow a camel.

And if someone tries to flip that around to make baking a cake more morally compromising than putting asylum seekers in jail for years or sending them back into dangerous territory, I'm going to call them on it so others can see that not all Christians have gone insane.

--Sam
      wow... you are SO superior.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
        It is perhaps a little convenient to assume people who disagree with you are trying to "shame" you. It could be that they honestly believe you are wrong. By calling it "shaming" you are reducing what could be fair points to some sort of evil strategy.

And in these cases it seems unfair to talk about "policies". We are talking about situations in which people are being treated in inhuman ways. To simply refer to that as "policies" is to miss the true horror. And do you actually believe those you disagree with actually reason along those lines you present or do you realize it is a straw man? Do you realize that you are avoiding the serious issues by presenting a straw man presentation about what others are saying?
        I am, for the record, saying that this should be a matter of shame, for the nation and especially for Christians. A major factor in our present situation, I believe, is that we have lost the capacity to be ashamed of things that should bring shame: things that have no honor, no grace, and no merit.

We have people here turning a blind eye to thousands of children being torn from their parents as a policy of deterring asylum applications and trying to turn cake baking or photography into more salient matters for Christian activism. That's shameful and should be framed as such.

--Sam
        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Not remotely. But I haven't lost sight of the Gospel yet.
          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Not remotely. But I haven't lost sight of the Gospel yet.
            Yeah, I have TOTALLY abandoned the Gospel, and need the likes of you to shame me.

Perhaps, though, you might find a less arrogant way to do it.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The irony is the attitude in which you are trying to make it look as if Sam regards himself as superior shows an attitute towards the serious issues he raises that is simply not worthy. You are turning your attention away from his moral points by making him look like a person who finds himself superior. Why not focus on his points? And why this attitude towards him?
              "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles
                I agree.
                With whom?

Comment

I am, for the record, saying that this should be a matter of shame, for the nation and especially for Christians. A major factor in our present situation, I believe, is that we have lost the capacity to be ashamed of things that should bring shame: things that have no honor, no grace, and no merit.

We have people here turning a blind eye to thousands of children being torn from their parents as a policy of deterring asylum applications and trying to turn cake baking or photography into more salient matters for Christian activism. That's shameful and should be framed as such.

--Sam
                  I agree. However it is my impression that you are mainly concerned with changings people's minds and making them aware that what they support is wrong rather than having them locked in a state of shame?

Comment

With whom?
                    With Sam. I have now posted it is a direct response to his post. Sorry for the confusion I caused. http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post678189

Comment

The irony is the attitude in which you are trying to make it look as if Sam regards himself as superior shows an attitute towards the serious issues he raises that is simply not worthy.
                      Wrong. Sam and I have been here before. I'm not "trying to make him look" like anything.

You are turning your attention away from his moral points by making him look like a person who finds himself superior.
                      Nope. I'm simply observing that he appears to think he IS superior - as a "for really" Christian who "hasn't lost sight of the gospel".

Why not focus on his points? And why this attitude towards him?
                      I like Sam -- I just get tired of his (IMOHBAO) moral superiority.

And you're doing that NANNY thing again, Charles.

Comment

With Sam. I have now posted it is a direct response to his post. Sorry for the confusion I caused. http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post678189

Comment

Wrong. Sam and I have been here before. I'm not "trying to make him look" like anything.

Nope. I'm simply observing that he appears to think he IS superior - as a "for really" Christian who "hasn't lost sight of the gospel".

I like Sam -- I just get tired of his (IMOHBAO) moral superiority.

And you're doing that NANNY thing again, Charles.
                          It rather seems to me that you are trying to make it look as if he thinks he is superior when he is simply making you aware of things you and others have ignored. Calling others superior, nannys or whatever when they make points you find inconvenient or disagree with is not worthy and you should find better ways to adress the points if you have good points to make.

Comment

It rather seems to me that you are trying to make it look as if he thinks he is superior when he is simply making you aware of things you and others have ignored. Calling others superior, nannys or whatever when they make points you find inconvenient or disagree with is not worthy and you should find better ways to adress the points if you have good points to make.
                            I would agree here. It's sorta 8th grade schoolyard stuff. It's an open discussion forum. Each person has something to offer, if it's not degrading or obscene, it should be dealt with simply on its merits as an point in the overall argument. Especially on a Christian Forum. People are free to disagree, post varying opinions, but the 'he/she is a nanny' thing, or the 'he/she thinks they are superior' really should be in the rear view mirror for all of us at this point (unless we are lying about our ages in our profiles )

Jim
                            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Whatever you say, Charles. But tell me, do you every actually contribute anything of value besides just trying to get in other people's business?

Comment

Whatever you say, Charles.
                                So you agree? If so then why don't you start to confront what Sam adressed? Again, you seem to simply try to avoid the points once again.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                But tell me, do you every actually contribute anything of value besides just trying to get in other people's business?
                                I try. Whether I succed is up for others to answer.

Comment