Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Public service announcement about the De-energizing of Rural California.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
    And California legislatures want everyone to use electric cars?

The cars won't work well when there is no supply of electricity. Maybe they don't understand such nuances.

Vote Republican. Maybe we can overcome the ballot harvesting and stuffing.
    Apparently you are lost in the nuances, and trivia.

Is this all the trivial pursuit you have to offer???

Power outages are temporary. The annual devastating wilderness fires continue, multimillion dollar costs, and death and injury toll continues to grow and occur every year.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Power outages are temporary. The annual devastating wilderness fires continue, multimillion dollar costs, and death and injury toll continues to grow and occur every year.
      They shouldn't be happening in the first place. No forest management, no fire breaks, back fires, controlled burns, etc...

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...anagement.html

https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...ention-and.pdf

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/05/...dfire-debacle/
      Last edited by seer; 10-28-2019, 06:13 PM.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        They shouldn't be happening in the first place. No forest management, no fire breaks, back fires, controlled burns, etc...

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...anagement.html

https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...ention-and.pdf

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/05/...dfire-debacle/
        The wilderness areas are not forests. Fire managements has been for forests. These fires have been annual devastating events through history regardless of the above.

These fires have been known as natural events for hundreds of years despite any efforts of management Actually previous management ended up encouraging fires.
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

The wilderness areas are not forests. Fire managements has been for forests. These fires have been annual devastating events through history regardless of the above.

These fires have been known as natural events for hundreds of years despite any efforts of management Actually previous management ended up encouraging fires.
          Stop being your usual stupid self. There are way to mitigate the effects - the Cal Fire report shows how.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Apparently you are lost in the nuances, and trivia.

I guess irony is lost on you.

Comment

Stop being your usual stupid self. There are way to mitigate the effects - the Cal Fire report shows how.
              All these fires are associated with the natural annual drought, high hurricane force winds, and brush of the wilderness, yes every year regardless of human efforts, and the rest of your blue, smoke and mirrors is meaningless in the face of the simple forces of nature that have been known for hundreds of years.

Frank

Comment

Which are likely linked to poor maintenance which may well be related to expensive mandates in renewables sucking up maintenance funds.

Not to mention state failure to properly manage wilderness/forest/fallow lands so they don't become firetraps.

Lots of other states keep the power on in much worse drought conditions without burning down anything.

Anyway you look at it, something is very wrong in California.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

and this outages havne' helped at all wildfires are still happening or haven't you bothered looking at the news

CNN
                  https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/cal...019/index.html

Slate Magazine
                  https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...s-updates.html

The power outage that that the Democrat controlled California Government forced on the Citizens of California DID NOTHING TO STOP THE WILDFIRES. which is the reason they gave for these forced power outages

So Shuny why are you still in favor of the power outages that HAVE NOT WORKED.
                  Last edited by RumTumTugger; 10-28-2019, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    Which are likely linked to poor maintenance which may well be related to expensive mandates in renewables sucking up maintenance funds.

Not to mention state failure to properly manage wilderness/forest/fallow lands so they don't become firetraps.

Lots of other states keep the power on in much worse drought conditions without burning down anything.

Anyway you look at it, something is very wrong in California.
                    Exactly. something Shunny keeps refusing to see.

I live in California and see what is happening here and it isn't good

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                      Exactly. something Shunny keeps refusing to see.

I live in California and see what is happening here and it isn't good
                      I honestly don’t remember a single fire started by a power line, when I lived in Southern California.
                      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                        I honestly don’t remember a single fire started by a power line, when I lived in Southern California.
                        My guess is the power companies are smelling big lawsuits and want to change appearances

https://www.ecmag.com/section/system...-and-wildfires

Source: above

During the summer of 2018, the Department reported at least 17 more major wildfires that were triggered by power lines. One of these, the Thomas Fire in the southern part of the state, was triggered by Southern California Edison lines. That fire destroyed 1,000 buildings and led to a landslide that killed 22 people.

By far the worst fire in the state's history, the Camp Fire has killed at least 85 people and destroyed 14,000 homes. While the exact cause has yet to be determined, the fire did start near some PG&E transmission lines that experienced an outage just 15 minutes prior to the start of the fire.

According to a Cal Fire incident report, the Camp Fire is now officially contained.

While the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) estimates only about 10 percent of the state's wildfires are triggered by power lines, the frequency and severity of these wildfires has caused the CPUC to expand its probe into PG&E power line safety practices and even consider breaking the utility up into smaller utilities to facilitate more management accountability for power line safety.

In addition, there is a growing outcry from among many in the state for utilities to become more aggressive in burying power lines, especially transmission lines that traverse heavily forested areas. Such an effort is not cheap, of course. An article in the San Francisco Chronicle reported undergrounding of that type can cost up to $5 million a mile and that it would cost PG&E over $100 billion to underground all of its high-power lines. Besides the cost, there is concern about digging in environmentally sensitive areas.

© Copyright Original Source

High winds will blow powerlines around. I doubt that sparking can be prevented if the winds are high enough. I remember during Hurricane Fran in Raleigh NC that power lines were slamming together and shorting all night long. There are remedial actions that can be taken in high wind areas that can help, but not prevent it 100% - short of cutting power.

Burying isn't necessarily a great solution either though - 10x the cost of overhead - and remember, CA has lots of earthquakes. Buried lines are more likely to break in earthquakes, and harder to fix.

Jim
                        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 10-29-2019, 09:00 AM.
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                          My guess is the power companies are smelling big lawsuits and want to change appearances

During the summer of 2018, the Department reported at least 17 more major wildfires that were triggered by power lines. One of these, the Thomas Fire in the southern part of the state, was triggered by Southern California Edison lines. That fire destroyed 1,000 buildings and led to a landslide that killed 22 people.

By far the worst fire in the state's history, the Camp Fire has killed at least 85 people and destroyed 14,000 homes. While the exact cause has yet to be determined, the fire did start near some PG&E transmission lines that experienced an outage just 15 minutes prior to the start of the fire.

According to a Cal Fire incident report, the Camp Fire is now officially contained.

While the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) estimates only about 10 percent of the state's wildfires are triggered by power lines, the frequency and severity of these wildfires has caused the CPUC to expand its probe into PG&E power line safety practices and even consider breaking the utility up into smaller utilities to facilitate more management accountability for power line safety.

In addition, there is a growing outcry from among many in the state for utilities to become more aggressive in burying power lines, especially transmission lines that traverse heavily forested areas. Such an effort is not cheap, of course. An article in the San Francisco Chronicle reported undergrounding of that type can cost up to $5 million a mile and that it would cost PG&E over $100 billion to underground all of its high-power lines. Besides the cost, there is concern about digging in environmentally sensitive areas.

High winds will blow powerlines around. I doubt that sparking can be prevented if the winds are high enough. I remember during Hurricane Fran in Raleigh NC that power lines were slamming together and shorting all night long. There are remedial actions that can be taken in high wind areas that can help, but not prevent it 100% - short of cutting power.

Burying isn't necessarily a great solution either though - 10x the cost of overhead - and remember, CA has lots of earthquakes. Buried lines are more likely to break in earthquakes, and harder to fix.

Jim
                          Considering that I moved away in 2003 and that happened in 2018, that kind of proves what I said. The state is always on fire because much of the southern half is a dry desert, filled with dried out tumble weeds, dead trees, and dried out plants as far as the eye can see, where a single spark can burn thousands of acres. A wild fire burning near your house and possibility burning it to the ground is not a matter of if, but when. High winds are pretty common and have a name: the Santa Ana winds, which can reach gale force, going through narrow passes in the mountains.
                          Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 10-29-2019, 10:37 AM.
                          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Jim
                            From your link: While undergrounding is often prohibitively expensive, there is also a growing interest in having utilities insulate their power lines, making them less likely to trigger sparks and resulting fires. In the meantime, the main focus, of course, is more aggressive right-of-way work to keep trees and branches as far away from power lines as possible.

No freaking kidding.

Comment

From your link: While undergrounding is often prohibitively expensive, there is also a growing interest in having utilities insulate their power lines, making them less likely to trigger sparks and resulting fires. In the meantime, the main focus, of course, is more aggressive right-of-way work to keep trees and branches as far away from power lines as possible.

No freaking kidding.
                              If I recall correctly, the burial of power lines will actually draw lightning strikes more than the aerial lines.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                                If I recall correctly, the burial of power lines will actually draw lightning strikes more than the aerial lines.
                                We had kind of the reverse problem - high winds/tree branches have been taking down power lines. Eversourse has been cutting back the trees all over the state with a ton of push back from the environmentalists. They are trying to shop the cutting at every turn.

Comment