Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Public service announcement about the De-energizing of Rural California.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    No one has died from the power shutdown, and death toll goes up from the fires.
    What about

Source: Pollock Pines Family Says Man Died When Oxygen Tank Lost Power during PG&E Shut-Off

POLLOCK PINES -- The family of 67-year-old Robert Mardis Sr. believes he would still be alive if PG&E didn't shut off their power this week in Pollock Pines.

"He had health issues," Mardis' daughter, Marie Aldea, told FOX40. "He had really bad COPD, which didn't help, and he had congestive heart failure and other health issues, but the power going off and him not being able to get to his oxygen is, I believe, is what did it."

Knowing the risks of having power shut off, Aldea says her family was prepared with battery-operated equipment.

Mardis' family says he was asleep when his electric oxygen tank lost power during PG&E's Public Safety Power Shut-Off.

"I went down and check on him at 11:30 or so and he was sound asleep, the power was still on at that point," Aldea said.

But early Wednesday, Aldea says her family was jolted awake.

"We were all asleep, we heard my mom scream. She was crying," she said. "My dad went down in her arms, he was going for this oxygen machine."

Family members performed CPR on Mardis, but responding paramedics pronounced him dead. Aldea says her father's health issues didn't help, but she believes part of the blame is on PG&E.

"I don't understand why they turned off the power," she said. "No winds at all. And because of that, my father is gone. Blaming them is not going to bring my father back, unfortunately."

Aldea believes her father lost oxygen in his sleep and several minutes passed before he woke up to reach for his back-up tank. It was within those crucial minutes she believes he died, which she believes could have been avoided with power.

"He'll never see my kids get married, he'll never see his grandchildren. How do you fix that? You don't. You can't," Aldea said. "Something got taken away from me that I can never get back, and I will miss my father forever."

The utility shut off power for millions of people in Northern California as a precaution during windy and dry weather conditions similar to what has fueled catastrophic wildfires in the past.

PG&E issued a statement later Friday:

We have no information on the incident and have not been able to confirm the accuracy of the report. We refer you to local officials in El Dorado County.

Late Friday afternoon, the El Dorado County Sheriff's Office determined the cause of death as severe coronary artery atherosclerosis. However, the sheriff’s office did not say whether or not the power going out played a factor in his death.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Not officially confirmed but enough for now to recommend against blanket statements about no fatalities until more is known.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

No one has died from the power shutdown, and death toll goes up from the fires.
      Rogue pointed out that there was one death during the shutdown that may have been due to the shutdown.

That wasn't my point. What about those who having to buy food that they didn't have to cook now or gas for generators who can't pay their bills now? the Politicians and rich elites didn't have to worry about that did they. We also don't have the Crime statistics for the time of the shutdown from Oakland, Pittsburg ect; power outages are good for criminals.
      Last edited by RumTumTugger; 10-13-2019, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        What about

Source: Pollock Pines Family Says Man Died When Oxygen Tank Lost Power during PG&E Shut-Off

POLLOCK PINES -- The family of 67-year-old Robert Mardis Sr. believes he would still be alive if PG&E didn't shut off their power this week in Pollock Pines.

"He had health issues," Mardis' daughter, Marie Aldea, told FOX40. "He had really bad COPD, which didn't help, and he had congestive heart failure and other health issues, but the power going off and him not being able to get to his oxygen is, I believe, is what did it."

Knowing the risks of having power shut off, Aldea says her family was prepared with battery-operated equipment.

Mardis' family says he was asleep when his electric oxygen tank lost power during PG&E's Public Safety Power Shut-Off.

"I went down and check on him at 11:30 or so and he was sound asleep, the power was still on at that point," Aldea said.

But early Wednesday, Aldea says her family was jolted awake.

"We were all asleep, we heard my mom scream. She was crying," she said. "My dad went down in her arms, he was going for this oxygen machine."

Family members performed CPR on Mardis, but responding paramedics pronounced him dead. Aldea says her father's health issues didn't help, but she believes part of the blame is on PG&E.

"I don't understand why they turned off the power," she said. "No winds at all. And because of that, my father is gone. Blaming them is not going to bring my father back, unfortunately."

Aldea believes her father lost oxygen in his sleep and several minutes passed before he woke up to reach for his back-up tank. It was within those crucial minutes she believes he died, which she believes could have been avoided with power.

"He'll never see my kids get married, he'll never see his grandchildren. How do you fix that? You don't. You can't," Aldea said. "Something got taken away from me that I can never get back, and I will miss my father forever."

The utility shut off power for millions of people in Northern California as a precaution during windy and dry weather conditions similar to what has fueled catastrophic wildfires in the past.

PG&E issued a statement later Friday:

We have no information on the incident and have not been able to confirm the accuracy of the report. We refer you to local officials in El Dorado County.

Late Friday afternoon, the El Dorado County Sheriff's Office determined the cause of death as severe coronary artery atherosclerosis. However, the sheriff’s office did not say whether or not the power going out played a factor in his death.

Source

Not officially confirmed but enough for now to recommend against blanket statements about no fatalities until more is known.
        Not near the death toll from fires and not officially confirmed. Last year tops the list on loose of life and property destruction.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

One correction for now. Coastlines are NOT growing. There are some areas where melting glaciers have caused the rebound of the land, and there is some migration of barrier islands on the coast, butin general coastlines are not growing.
          Which doesn’t negate that some coastlines are growing.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
            Rogue pointed out that there was one death during the shutdown that may have been due to the shutdown.
            No NOT documented as Rogue acknowledged.

That wasn't my point. What about those who having to buy food that they didn't have to cook now or gas for generators who can't pay their bills now? the Politicians and rich elites didn't have to worry about that did they. We also don't have the Crime statistics for the time of the shutdown from Oakland, Pittsburg ect; power outages are good for criminals.
            Point mute the financien and death loses over the years far exceed any other consideration your may raise. This is an annual very costly disaster events in terms of financial and loses of life in these wilderness areas that can be prevented.
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

No NOT documented as Rogue acknowledged.
              And about which RTT said "may have"

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

And about which RTT said "may have"

May have is not documented. You are comparing one 'may have' death to many deaths due to the fires and billions of dollars of loses over the years. These 'wilderness' areas are fragile environments regions that have predictable annual devastating fires.

Frank

Comment

How about the forest service.be allowed to continue to implement their old management practices that the tree huggers finally admitted had a real purpose in controlling fires.

P&GE is just acting out their frustrations at all the litigation pounding away at them over the decades some of which is their own fault!
                  Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                    How about the forest service.be allowed to continue to implement their old management practices that the tree huggers finally admitted had a real purpose in controlling fires.
                    Most of the wilderness areas in California involved are NOT the forests where the US Forest Service are implementing their management practices, and yes, the US Forest Service and the logging companies do use modern forest management practices. Even managed forests do burn, and should not be urban developed in the manner that is now common.
                    Last edited by shunyadragon; 10-15-2019, 03:08 PM.

Frank

Comment

Annual devastating forest fires continue in wilderness areas tying up vaste resources in fighting fires and loose of human life. These regions should not be developed in the manner they are developed. The problem also remains for low coastal regions devastated by hurricanes and coastal storms. Many houses have been rebuilt three of four times in East coast flood prone areas at considerable government and local expense.

These are predictable annual devastating events in the same wilderness areas in the same regions. Toronadoes and hurricanes are natural disasters, but they are not specifically predictable in given areas and regions as in the Western wilderness areas.

Source: https://weather.com/news/news/2019-10-27-california-wildfires-kincade-tick-evacuations-death

Los Angeles' Getty Fire Forces Evacuations; Kincade Fire Doubles in Size; More than 2.7 Million Without Power

The Getty Fire, which began Monday morning, has burned 400 acres.
                      The Kincade Fire pushed near outskirts of Santa Rosa, California.
                      More than 180,000 people have been forced out of their homes in Northern California.
                      Residents in part of Napa County were warned to be ready to evacuate.
                      Gov. Newsom declared a state of emergency because of the fires.
                      At least one person has been killed by strong winds.
                      A new fire early Monday threatened homes and prompted evacuations in Los Angeles while 400 miles to the north, the Kincade Fire nearly doubled in size as it neared the city of Santa Rosa.

The Getty Fire began on the west side of the 405 freeway near the Getty Center about 2:30 a.m. CDT Monday, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department. Several hours later, it had spread to more than 400 acres, and evacuations were ordered from Mulholland Boulevard south to W. Sunset Boulevard, east to the 405 and west to Temescal Canyon Road.

Frank

Comment

Comment

Doesn't this say it all? The Democrats can't even keep the lights on!
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

And California legislatures want everyone to use electric cars?

The cars won't work well when there is no supply of electricity. Maybe they don't understand such nuances.

Vote Republican. Maybe we can overcome the ballot harvesting and stuffing.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40505[/ATTACH]
                              Is this all the trivial pursuit you have to offer???

Power outages are temporary. The annual devastating wilderness fires continue, multimillion dollar costs, and death and injury toll continues to grow and occur every year.
                              Last edited by shunyadragon; 10-28-2019, 05:37 PM.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                                Doesn't this say it all? The Democrats can't even keep the lights on!
                                Is this all the trivial pursuit you have to offer???

Power outages are temporary. The annual devastating wilderness fires continue, multimillion dollar costs, and death and injury toll continues to grow and occur every year.

Frank

Comment