Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Take This Impeachment And Shove It...

Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    The excuses you come up with to excuse away anything Hillary does is truly breathtaking. You’re a full blown, Hillary apologist.
    My position on Clinton's server practices are that they were unwise and not excused by previous administrations' similar lax standards, that her carelessness should have been give more attention than her predecessors so that the standard for government employees, especially senior staff, should be tightened.

I maintain that she did nothing that her predecessors didn't do, however, so the personal excoriation she received was overblown as a campaign matter and cynically tied into an electoral attack by her opponent and a foreign government that had nothing to do with her email use.

I maintain, in accordance with the DOJ decision, that it would have been very difficult to prosecute Clinton, not least because of the behavior of her predecessors that went nearly unremarked even after it was widely known.

There are hacks all around this issue, sure, but I ain't the one you want to point that finger at.

--Sam
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Translation: Clinton destroyed evidence in deliberate defiance of a lawful subpoena.

Yep, I agree.
    No, she did no such thing and a person of integrity wouldn't make that false allegation at this point, knowing what we know.

--Sam
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Good question.

Do Americans still have a government? I do not know. What I do know is that President Trump and the upper echelons of the executive branch are at war with the legislative branch, the rule of law, the constitution, federal civil servants and the American people. It’s a conflict that pulls in many directions, and if the president threatened civil war the other day as something that could happen if he doesn’t get his way, we can regard the ordinary state of things as a low-intensity civil war or a slo-mo coup that’s been going on from the beginning. Tuesday’s White House refusal to cooperate with the impeachment inquiry only escalates their defiance and their chaos.
    /https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/oct/09/trump-government-executive-branch-rebecca-solnit
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    No, she did no such thing and a person of integrity wouldn't make that false allegation at this point, knowing what we know.

--Sam
    So you don't consider yourself a person of integrity? Cold, man!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    But that's not what Bleachbit is, nor what it really does. It's commercial-grade free software that does a one-pass wipe.
    Beyond simply deleting files, BleachBit includes advanced features such as shredding files to prevent recovery, wiping free disk space to hide traces of files deleted by other applications

https://www.bleachbit.org/
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

7. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Beyond simply deleting files, BleachBit includes advanced features such as shredding files to prevent recovery, wiping free disk space to hide traces of files deleted by other applications

To truly delete data from a hard drive, especially an ssd (and depending on its configuration) requires tools more sophisticated than that.

Jim

9. Amen Sam amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post

Yes, it's a simple data wiping program, like those found in CCleaner and AVG. The allegation was that Clinton used a wiping technique so sophisticated that even forensic tools couldn't recover the data. That misrepresents at least three things:

1) The allegation involves an incident where a Platte River Network, the host of Clinton's servers, employee erased a PST backup file of Clinton's emails in March 2015, after realizing that he didn't do so in 2014, before Clinton's emails were subpoenaed. The matter was investigated and the employee told the FBI that he did so because he saw a news report on the matter and remembered that he had not deleted the file. Because the employee was offered immunity for his testimony, he faced no charges. No evidence was found to suggest that Clinton or anyone associated with her directed the illegal destruction of evidence or that they were even aware of this leftover backup file.

2) Shredding applications like Bleachbit are common and all advertise that they can "prevent recovery". Recovery, however, depends on a wide number of variables so anything from zeroing out sectors to overwriting with "junk" data can succeed or fail to prevent recovery based on factors outside the application's control.

3) Forensic recovery isn't some sort of magic. If a file reference is deleted and the file split over a hundred different sectors, forensic tools might not be able to recover it even without any specialized applications. Recovery becomes much harder when files are overwritten by applications like CCleaner, AVG, or Bleachbit but there is not, in practice, much difference between a one-pass overwrite like Bleachbit and a seven-pass DoD-compliant overwrite.

I don't expect this to dissuade y'all who have had years to understand the basic facts about this allegation from bearing false witness but there it is for others, at least.

--Sam

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    To truly delete data from a hard drive, especially an ssd (and depending on its configuration) requires tools more sophisticated than that.

Jim

SSDs get the hammer. It's the only way.

pr80016.jpg

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Jim
    Not really. Read what Bleachbit's creator has to say. His software is specifically designed to render data unrecoverable.

https://docs.bleachbit.org/doc/shred...ipe-disks.html

And this from Wikipedia:

Daniel Feenberg, an economist at the private National Bureau of Economic Research, claims that the chances of overwritten data being recovered from a modern hard drive amount to "urban legend". He also points to the "​18 1⁄2-minute gap" Rose Mary Woods created on a tape of Richard Nixon discussing the Watergate break-in. Erased information in the gap has not been recovered, and Feenberg claims doing so would be an easy task compared to recovery of a modern high density digital signal.

[...]

...according to the 2014 NIST Special Publication 800-88 Rev. 1 (p. 7): "For storage devices containing magnetic media, a single overwrite pass with a fixed pattern such as binary zeros typically hinders recovery of data even if state of the art laboratory techniques are applied to attempt to retrieve the data." An analysis by Wright et al. of recovery techniques, including magnetic force microscopy, also concludes that a single wipe is all that is required for modern drives.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data...erwritten_data

Bottom line: anybody using Bleachbit wants to render their data literally unrecoverable.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

13. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.