Page 119 of 284 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129169219 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 2839

Thread: Take This Impeachment And Shove It...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    You need to get new talking points, Jim. The Democrats were in "let's impeach Trump" mode from Day 1 of Trump's presidency, and Pelosi has been all over the map on this.
    Some actually started the day after he was elected and wouldn't be sworn in for nearly two months.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

2. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Okay nit picker. The judiciary voted to send articles to the House for a vote.
    Not a nit pick - you said he had a Senate trial.

This bipartisan argument is nonsense. Just because you get a couple of reps to crossover is literally meaningless.
    Not a couple - as popular as Nixon was having any is a good indicator that everyone had concerns about the evidence they had at that point.

I know. And that evidence came out after articles were voted on in the judiciary and sent to the House. That's where we are now and republicans were just as confident of acquittal at this point in the Nixon impeachment as republicans are now, until all of a sudden......
    That evidence had been tied up in a court battle that Nixon lost. Nothing comparable exists this time - that the leaky Schiff retained something condemning is wildly implausible.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Some actually started the day after he was elected and wouldn't be sworn in for nearly two months.
    EGGzackly --- it was an impeachment looking for an excuse to move forward.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

5. Amen Teallaura, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    Not quite. Nixon resigned when he lost the support of his most loyal defenders in Congress. Republican Congressional leaders met with and told Nixon that both his impeachment and his conviction were certainties.
    Because there was an actual undeniable verifiable inexcusable documented crime.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Because there was an actual undeniable verifiable inexcusable documented crime.
    That is, of course, the significant flaw in attempts to compare Trump to Nixon. Democrats never did figure out what crime Trump is supposed to have committed, so they settled on the vague catch-all term "abuse of power". Then there's "obstruction of Congress" which isn't even a crime!

As I've said before, for all the legal weight the articles of impeachment have, they may as well have charged the President with "abuse of Congress" and "obstruction of power".
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

8. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    That is, of course, the significant flaw in attempts to compare Trump to Nixon. Democrats never did figure out what crime Trump is supposed to have committed, so they settled on the vague catch-all term "abuse of power". Then there's "obstruction of Congress" which isn't even a crime!

As I've said before, for all the legal weight the articles of impeachment have, they may as well have charged the President with "abuse of Congress" and "obstruction of power".
    Even if "obstruction of congress" was a thing, it's not that - it's standing up to a small group of partisan hacks on one committee of one HALF of Congress.

10. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Even if "obstruction of congress" was a thing, it's not that - it's standing up to a small group of partisan hacks on one committee of one HALF of Congress.
    The Democrats might have had a better case if they had bothered to make the impeachment inquiry official with a full vote of the House.

12. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The Democrats might have had a better case if they had bothered to make the impeachment inquiry official with a full vote of the House.
    There are SO MANY problems with the way they botched this, not the least of which was putting shifty Schiff in charge.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    There are SO MANY problems with the way they botched this, not the least of which was putting shifty Schiff in charge.
    Which is why I sometimes wonder if it's all a big Machiavellian scheme by Pelosi to torpedo impeachment. But then the Democrats have been working closely with Lawfare since after the 2018 elections to find every legal loophole they can to push impeachment through non-traditional channels, so it could all be deliberate, just incompetently executed.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Which is why I sometimes wonder if it's all a big Machiavellian scheme by Pelosi to torpedo impeachment. But then the Democrats have been working closely with Lawfare since after the 2018 elections to find every legal loophole they can to push impeachment through non-traditional channels, so it could all be deliberate, just incompetently executed.
    It really is a mind-boggling thing - it's like they fired a bullet they cannot recall, so now they're trying to figure out ways to justify it.

I think they took a HUGE gamble, because in their own big bubble, they actually thought the 'hearings' were going to sway the American people, and the Senate would have no choice but to vote to convict and remove.