Page 49 of 87 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: Take This Impeachment And Shove It...

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by firstfloor View Post
    The USA is described as a constitutional federal republic. Am I to understand that you wish that reduced to republic by abolishing the constitution and dissolving the federation of states?
    No, MM is not a Democrat.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The USA is described as a constitutional federal republic. Am I to understand that you wish that reduced to republic by abolishing the constitution and dissolving the federation of states?
    Actually the Trumpsters have shown themselves to not give a damn about the constitution or the rule of law in general, so long as their dictator is in power.

Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Radio Atlantic 119: Putin is winning; succeeding in showing the world that the leading democracy is dysfunctional.

During an impeachment hearing this week, President Trump's former top Russia adviser accused Republicans of peddling Russian propaganda.

Anne Applebaum is a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and historian who will join The Atlantic as a staff writer in January. As one of the world’s leading experts on pre- and post-Communist Europe, disinformation and propaganda, and the future of democracy, she joins Isaac Dovere to discuss impeachment through a global lens.

How did a conspiracy theory concocted by Russian intelligence officers become a Republican defense of President Trump? And what future does Applebaum see for NATO and Western democracy if the president is in office for another four years?
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    With any luck, you're right. And then we can get back to being what we were founded as:

A Republic (if we can keep it).
    I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands...
    DuckDuckGo - Privacy Simplified

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Actually the Trumpsters have shown themselves to not give a damn about the constitution or the rule of law in general, so long as their dictator is in power.
    Care to give an actual example?

6. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands...
    So, what is that exactly? I didn’t get an answer from MM.
    That podcast I was listening to suggested that if Trump is impeached, and goes on to win the next election, it could be the end of American democracy. MM seems to think that would be a good thing. Is it?
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So, what is that exactly?
    A phrase from the Pledge of Allegiance which was formally adopted by Congress as the pledge in 1942, and whose name was officially adopted in 1945.

I didn’t get an answer from MM.
    He marches to his own drummer.

That podcast I was listening to suggested that if Trump is impeached, and goes on to win the next election, it could be the end of American democracy. MM seems to think that would be a good thing. Is it?
    I think it's rather obvious that MM is referring to the fact that our form of government is not, in fact, a "democracy", but he's a big boy and can speak for his own self.

ETA: I think the phrase often comes up "democracy is two foxes and a chicken voting on what to have for dinner".

9. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Huh? You mean it ain't I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Democracy for which it stands...?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    ETA: I think the phrase often comes up "democracy is two foxes and a chicken voting on what to have for dinner".
    Two wolves and a sheep is the way I heard it but it could be regional

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

12. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Two wolves and a sheep is the way I heard it but it could be regional
    Or, if you wanted to be crude - two men and a woman deciding what constitutes rape.

(I think that one was regional and got a local candidate for governor in quite a bit of hot water)