Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Take This Impeachment And Shove It...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Which is still not a crime - if it were an abuse of power which it isn't. The President, not Congress, sets foreign policy - as long as he doesn't re-appropriate the funds it's a non-issue - he's within his power as President.
    Right, Obama withheld funds for Ukraine for three years...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
      Right, Obama withheld funds for Ukraine for three years...
      No, Obama didn't ever withhold congressionally appropriated funding to Ukaraine.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
        No, Obama didn't ever withhold congressionally appropriated funding to Ukaraine.
        Seer is partly right, in his habitual sloppy way:

Source: politifact

The 2016 National Defense Authorization Act, which became law in November 2015, called for "lethal assistance such as anti-armor weapon systems, mortars, crew-served weapons and ammunition, grenade launchers and ammunition, and small arms and ammunition."

The legislation also called for counter-artillery radars, unmanned aerial tactical surveillance systems and other equipment.

But experts told us that the equipment ultimately provided during Obama’s tenure was non-lethal aid.

"The first lethal deliveries came from Trump," said Jim Townsend, deputy assistant secretary of defense for European and NATO Policy during the Obama administration.

© Copyright Original Source

source

This means that your statement here equally damns Obama.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Seer is partly right, in his habitual sloppy way:
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Which is still not a crime - if it were an abuse of power which it isn't. The President, not Congress, sets foreign policy - as long as he doesn't re-appropriate the funds it's a non-issue - he's within his power as President.
            It IS an abuse of power when congressional appropriated military aid is withheld by a president until he gets an investigation of a domestic political rival - as has been confirmed by numerous witnesses including ambassador Gordon Sondland. He confirmed Trump withheld US support for Ukraine in exchange for investigations into his political rival Joe Biden.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...nd-impeachment
            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
              It IS an abuse of power when congressional appropriated military aid is withheld by a president until he gets an investigation of a domestic political rival - as has been confirmed by numerous witnesses including ambassador Gordon Sondland. He confirmed Trump withheld US support for Ukraine in exchange for investigations into his political rival Joe Biden.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...nd-impeachment
              False, from you link:

He (Sondland) explained that in response to Taylor's concerns about the US withholding aid to Ukraine, he went to Trump to ask what he wanted from the country.

"And he said, I want nothing. I want no quid pro quo. I just want Zelensky to do the right thing, words that he ran under, or words to that effect. And that gave me the impetus to respond to Ambassador Taylor with the text that I sent. … It was not an artfully written text. I should have been more specific, put it in quotes, or something like that, but, basically, I wanted Mr. Taylor, Ambassador Taylor to pick up the ball and take it from there. I had gone as far as I could go”

Comment

False, from you link:

He (Sondland) explained that in response to Taylor's concerns about the US withholding aid to Ukraine, he went to Trump to ask what he wanted from the country.

"And he said, I want nothing. I want no quid pro quo. I just want Zelensky to do the right thing, words that he ran under, or words to that effect. And that gave me the impetus to respond to Ambassador Taylor with the text that I sent. … It was not an artfully written text. I should have been more specific, put it in quotes, or something like that, but, basically, I wanted Mr. Taylor, Ambassador Taylor to pick up the ball and take it from there. I had gone as far as I could go”
                And as I recall, Sondland was responding to Taylor's concerns that the Ukrainians weren't going to get anything out an agreement, and Sondland told him, essentially, "Sorry, but the President was crystal clear that there is to be no quid pro quo."
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  And as I recall, Sondland was responding to Taylor's concerns that the Ukrainians weren't going to get anything out an agreement, and Sondland told him, essentially, "Sorry, but the President was crystal clear that there is to be no quid pro quo."
                  77004074_3216959731711347_7826914002390220800_n.jpg

Comment

• “I want nothing ..... I just want ...” is a contradiction. The use of the phrase “quid pro quo” is evidence of a guilty mind.

Remember that Trump barely speaks English, so Latin is out of the question.
                    Last edited by firstfloor; 11-21-2019, 07:33 AM.
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Actually, the Presidents withholding of congressianally appropriated funds is a crime in and of itself. "The Impoundment and control act of 1974."
                      Last edited by JimL; 11-21-2019, 10:46 PM.

Comment

False, from you link:

Keep up.

"Sondland testified Wednesday that there was a quid pro quo between Trump and Ukraine". "In his opening statement, Sondland said impeachment investigators “have frequently framed these complicated issues in the form of a simple question: Was there a quid pro quo? As I testified previously ... the answer is yes.”

According to the ambassador, “it was no secret” and a number of senior Trump administration officials were “in the loop,” including Vice President Mike Pence, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney, and former National Security Adviser John Bolton". In short, the very people Trump is keeping away from the inquiry. And it's obvious why.

https://www.voanews.com/usa/impeachm...-trump-ukraine
                        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
                          Keep up.

"Sondland testified Wednesday that there was a quid pro quo between Trump and Ukraine". "In his opening statement, Sondland said impeachment investigators “have frequently framed these complicated issues in the form of a simple question: Was there a quid pro quo? As I testified previously ... the answer is yes.”

According to the ambassador, “it was no secret” and a number of senior Trump administration officials were “in the loop,” including Vice President Mike Pence, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney, and former National Security Adviser John Bolton". In short, the very people Trump is keeping away from the inquiry. And it's obvious why.

https://www.voanews.com/usa/impeachm...-trump-ukraine
                          And then he went on to testify that this was based entirely on his own presumptions and not on anything anybody told him, and that the President told him clearly and emphatically that there was to be no quid pro quo.

So, yeah...

Comment

• Republican denials looking fraudulent at this point.
                            Maybe no more witness interviews, impeachment, then Trump-Putin wins in the Senate. The fusion of Russian disinformation with the American right wing is complete and might well be permanent.

We might be witnessing the end of American democracy.

Will the voters save the USA?
                            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
                              We might be witnessing the end of American democracy.
                              With any luck, you're right. And then we can get back to being what we were founded as:

A Republic (if we can keep it).

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                With any luck, you're right. And then we can get back to being what we were founded as:

A Republic (if we can keep it).
                                The USA is described as a constitutional federal republic. Am I to understand that you wish that reduced to republic by abolishing the constitution and dissolving the federation of states?

Comment