Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Take This Impeachment And Shove It...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    The country has remained at roughly 50% either way throughout – far more than supported the Clinton Impeachment. As for “the American people” hearing more, all Trump has to do is allow Mitch McConnell to call Bolton and Mulvaney to testify. After all, What’s Trump got to hide?
    Do you think the difference in how the MSM reported them might have some influence on those numbers? To this day they intentionally misinform the public by telling us that Clinton's impeachment was about his affair with Monica Lewinsky. It wasn't. It was about his lying under oath (i.e., perjury) about the Paula Jones case. You know, the woman that Hillary and George Stephanopoulos' (now an ABC news anchor) "Nuts and Sluts War Room" was in charge of trying to intimidate into silence and, failing that, destroy?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Schumer talks to Rachel, 20 Dec. https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcas...=1000460268951

“we want witnesses, we want documents”
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
        Schumer talks to Rachel, 20 Dec. https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcas...=1000460268951

We wanted "witnesses" during the Schiff circus but instead we got nothing but disgruntled whining, hearsay gossips, and folks who were "guessing"

But let's compromise.

One witness.

Schiff

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          Comforting that those who will conduct the trial have already decided the outcome. Seriously?
          Seriously.

A) It's a POLITICAL process that was incredibly partisan (with the only bipartisanship being Democrats opposed)
          2) It actually LOST public support the longer this sham went on
          C) The Democrats have been trying to impeach Trump from DAY ONE
          4) Schiff started his part with the total misrepresentation of "the phone call"
          V) Nancy can't even decide what to do with the Articles of Impeachment

So, yeah - seriously.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Was this a problem for you when the Democrats had decided the outcome of their part of the impeachment even before he took office? You certainly didn't express any misgivings. At least the Republicans have heard the evidence (weeks of televised hearings) before making a decision.
            EGGzackly - and the House owns all aspects of the impeachment process, and the Senate owns all aspects of the convict/remove part.
            There isn't a snowball's chance in the hot place of 67 senators voting to convict and remove, so... BACK TO WORK, shut down this sham.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
              Schumer talks to Rachel, 20 Dec. https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcas...=1000460268951

Bless her heart for putting up with his crap.

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post

They had their chance to get witnesses and documents during the House investigations, but they went ahead and voted to impeach without them. It's not the Senate's job to reinvestigate and try to make the Democrats' case for them.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                  You guys are thinking about it in the wrong setting. Let’s say it was an unlawful demand so you ignored it. Because of that they claim obstruction and use it as evidence in articles of Impeachment. The only way to stop them is to take them to court meaning the burden is on you.

I’m not talking about what’s allowed or not allowed in court but what they did out of court.

Congress has sent multiple subpoenas to Trump which were ignored. Attempts to enforce through courts have taken much time and Trump appeals all the losses and nothing has been resolved.

Pelosi then took the control out of the courts and instead of trying to enforce other subpoenas the tactic became to use the non compliance as evidence of obstruction. They drop any new court actions and start publicly claiming obstruction and pointing out all the ignored subpoenas.

Republicans are in a position where they have to defend the president by claiming unfairness and illegitimacy of the proceedings but they can’t deny the democrats from using the obstruction evidence for one of the articles of impeachment unless they take it to court and hope for an unlikely win.

I think my initial comment was just saying this was a good move.
                  hanghim.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    EGGzackly - and the House owns all aspects of the impeachment process, and the Senate owns all aspects of the convict/remove part.
                    There isn't a snowball's chance in the hot place of 67 senators voting to convict and remove, so... BACK TO WORK, shut down this sham.
                    The Senate's job is to determine the validity of the case brought by the House, not to retry the case because the House bungled it so badly.

Comment

The Senate's job is to determine the validity of the case brought by the House, not to retry the case because the House bungled it so badly.
                      A vote to impeach is like an indictment. It's a prosecutor's formal declaration that he believes he has sufficient evidence to press charges and seek a conviction. If he gets to court and suddenly realizes that he's holding a weak hand, he doesn't get to ask the judge and jury to conduct a second investigation to help him reach a guilty verdict. For Schumer to demand the Senate seek out additional evidence is effectively an admission that the Democrats don't have a case
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Sounds like a case of morning after regret, where the Democrats are trying to silently walk out the door, hoping nobody notices, and make excuses for it later.
                        Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 12-20-2019, 08:38 AM.
                        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          A vote to impeach is like an indictment. It's a prosecutor's formal declaration that he believes he has sufficient evidence to press charges and seek a conviction.
                          It's actually more than that - it's not just his own belief, but it's accompanied by the fact that a panel of jurors was also convinced. (albeit, in this case, on an incredibly partisan basis, with the ONLY bipartisanship being Democrats crossing over and voting no)

If he gets to court and suddenly realizes that he's holding a weak hand, he doesn't get to ask the judge and jury to conduct a second investigation to help him reach a guilty verdict. For Schumer to demand the Senate seek out additional evidence is effectively an admission that the Democrats don't have a case
                          And for Schumer and Pelosi both to be attacking the guy who will be setting up the conditions for the trial is insane. It's another indication to some that the Democrats don't actually plan on officially transmitting the Articles to the Senate.

Comment

No, no - drag it out until March! Muck up the campaigns of virtually every Democrat until AFTER Super Tuesday!!!

I'm not nice...
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

It's another indication to some that the Democrats don't actually plan on officially transmitting the Articles to the Senate.
                              Speaker Pelosi has suggested that House Democrats may be too afraid, too afraid to even transmit their shoddy work product to the Senate. Mr. President it looks like the prosecutors are getting cold feet in front of the entire country and second guessing whether they even want to go to trial. They said that impeachment was so urgent that they could not even wait for due process but now they are sitting on their hands." --Mitch McConnell

Comment

Er, no. It's the Senate's job to try the case. It is occasionally necessary to ask for witnesses at trial that could not appear before the grand jury but allowing that is at the judge's discretion. Here, discretion belongs to the Senate.

In a normal proceeding, this isn't often granted to prosecution since they shouldn't have proceeded with an insufficient case.

McConnell should let Pelosi have her haggling until after Christmas, then demand/pull the articles and take a few weeks working out procedure/new drapes. Then start hearings on the evidence presented to the House - with most of the front runner Dems cooling their heels in the 'very solemn' trial while Super Tuesday passes them by.

Then vote.
                                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment