Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Take This Impeachment And Shove It...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, who really cares what some democrats may have privately thought about Pelosis' strategy? That's why she's the speaker.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
      Seems they're going to block Bolton's testimony now too, which still leaves the mystery of why the House didn't do it.
      Yeah, well that's what you do if you fear what a first hand witness might have to say. The House didn't supoena him because he was waiting for the courts ruling regarding the issue of Trumps power to block witness testimony and Congressional power to force testimony. Judge Jackson made a ruling on that in the McGahn case, along with another decision regarding Boltons aide, which freed up witnesses to testify and their need to comply with congressional supoena's. So, as was the case with much of the evidence as well as witnesses not being supoenaed by the House, the reason was because the White House was fighting it in the courts in order to delay as long as possible, a legal tactic, which was a game that the House wasn't going to play. Now they are free to testify, documents are able to be supoenaed, but for some odd reason, Moscow Mitch doesn't want to hear or see that evidence at trial. I think we all know why that is! Don't you?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
        Yeah, well that's what you do if you fear what a first hand witness might have to say. The House didn't supoena him because he was waiting for the courts ruling regarding the issue of Trumps power to block witness testimony and Congressional power to force testimony. Judge Jackson made a ruling on that in the McGahn case, along with another decision regarding Boltons aide, which freed up witnesses to testify and their need to comply with congressional supoena's. So, as was the case with much of the evidence as well as witnesses not being supoenaed by the House, the reason was because the White House was fighting it in the courts in order to delay as long as possible, a legal tactic, which was a game that the House wasn't going to play. Now they are free to testify, documents are able to be supoenaed, but for some odd reason, Moscow Mitch doesn't want to hear or see that evidence at trial. I think we all know why that is! Don't you?
        The heck are you talking about? We went over this earlier.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

"...the prosecution will be given an opportunity to present its best case; then the defense will offer its rebuttal; then there will be a motion to continue the trial and hear additional evidence and witnesses.
          ...and you trust McConnell even though he's in cahoots with the very person being tried?

If the vote fails, then the Senate will move to acquit. I don't see what's unfair about that."
          What's unfair is that even before the trial Mitch McConnell and his GOP congressional allies are trashing the entire notion of a fair Senate trial. They are attempting a cover-up by denying testimony from witnesses with detailed first-hand knowledge of Trump's wrongdoing. Yet again with this president, one must ask: what does he have to hide?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
            ...and you trust McConnell even though he's in cahoots with the very person being tried?
            It's in the Senate rules. That's the procedure they will be following: after opening arguments have been presented, there will automatically be a motion to vote to continue. If the vote passes, then the trial will continue. If it fails, then there will be a motion to acquit.

Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
            They are attempting a cover-up by denying testimony from witnesses with detailed first-hand knowledge of Trump's wrongdoing.
            Nope. The Democrats will have the opportunity to present the best opening argument they can, to put their best evidence on the table. Let's see if it's enough to convince a majority of Senators that the trial should continue.

Honestly, your ignorant media tourist act lost its charm a long time ago.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

It's in the Senate rules. That's the procedure they will be following: after opening arguments have been presented, there will automatically be a motion to vote to continue. If the vote passes, then the trial will continue. If it fails, then there will be a motion to acquit.

Nope. The Democrats will have the opportunity to present the best opening argument they can, to put their best evidence on the table. Let's see if it's enough to convince a majority of Senators that the trial should continue.

Honestly, your ignorant media tourist act lost its charm a long time ago.
              MM, give up the act will ya. We all, including you, know what the republicans in the Senate are up to. And we all know that you know what they're up to as well.

Comment

It won't be "enough to convince a majority of Senators that the trial should continue".https://www.newsweek.com/lindsey-gra...-weeks-1481709

So, what makes you think that the Senate trial will be anything more than a sham? The leading contenders have already made their positions known.

Comment

MM, give up the act will ya. We all, including you, know what the republicans in the Senate are up to. And we all know that you know what they're up to as well.
                  And he is happy about it to boot.
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                    Lev Parnas is trying to turn over more documents to Congress which are "essential for impeachment".

The attorney representing Rudy Giuliani associate Lev Parnas is requesting permission from a federal judge to turn over more materials to Congress for the impeachment of President Donald Trump.

Attorney Joseph Bondy wrote to Judge J. Paul Oetken requesting a modification of a protective order governing the use of evidence collected as part of the criminal prosecution of Parnas.

Bondy requested that a digital copy of all the information on two iPhones and a Samsun phone be turned over to the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence.

Doubtless the Trump supporters on here will fully support this move. In the interest of transparency, of course :).
                    Not the prosecutors? Riiight... Motion to Waste Time in three... two...

And no freaking way - send it to Judiciary or not at all. The House wants another shot at bat, then they can danged well walk up to the plate this time.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

They wanted the impeachment process, i.e. they wanted an investigation, which was well warranted. So, why don't the likes of you, MM, et al on the complicit side want to hear all the relevant evidence? Seriously, what are you guys afraid of?
                      No, they just wanted an impeachment - they didn't care about evidence or they'd have produced it. Still can, you know - so why are you so afraid of the House issuing real subpoenas for these witnesses?
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Well, who really cares what some democrats may have privately thought about Pelosis' strategy? That's why she's the speaker.
                        The Democrats do - and they are evidently beginning to regret her speakership.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
                          It won't be "enough to convince a majority of Senators that the trial should continue".https://www.newsweek.com/lindsey-gra...-weeks-1481709

So, what makes you think that the Senate trial will be anything more than a sham? The leading contenders have already made their positions known.
                          Like I said, it will be up to the Democrats to present their best argument to convince just one or two Republicans to side with the Democrats and vote to continue the trial. Let's see if they can do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                            What the Senate Republicans are up to is that they are giving the Democrats the opportunity to present their very best opening argument. Do you think it will be compelling enough to convince a majority of Senators to continue the trial? You seem to think it's a foregone conclusion that it won't be.
                            Last edited by Mountain Man; 01-13-2020, 05:27 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post

[*SIGH *]
                              Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Funny how those now demanding some sort of purity test for impartiality had absolutely no trouble with the majority of the Democrats on the Intelligence and Judiciary Committees publicly stating that they want Trump impeached long before they ever had their circus.

Is that a car door I hear? >:)

You had a number of Democrats proclaiming that they would impeach Trump even before he was sworn into office like Mad Max[ine] Waters and Jamie Raskin (among others), both who are on the House Judiciary Committee. Likewise both Schiff and Nadler (the chairs of the committees that presided over the circus) have repeatedly been beating the drum for impeachment.

But that's okay because... TRUMP!! smiley fist shake.gif

Perhaps those who have already made up their minds ought to have recused themselves from the vote. Of course if that were the case it would have never even made it out of Schiff's committee.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                [*SIGH *]

You had a number of Democrats proclaiming that they would impeach Trump even before he was sworn into office like Mad Max[ine] Waters and Jamie Raskin (among others), both who are on the House Judiciary Committee. Likewise both Schiff and Nadler (the chairs of the committees that presided over the circus) have repeatedly been beating the drum for impeachment.

But that's okay because... TRUMP!! [ATTACH=CONFIG]42101[/ATTACH]

Perhaps those who have already made up their minds ought to have recused themselves from the vote. Of course if that were the case it would have never even made it out of Schiff's committee.
                                You keep focusing on how the democrats acted in the house, vs what Trump did. The Democrats where fighting against the same conspiratorial attempts to sweep what Trump has done under the rug during the investigation and actions to bring forward articles of impeachment. They were forced by that to exert their authority and control to keep the evidence and the testimony from being corrupted or otherwise hidden.

The same thing is active now that the articles have gone or are going to the senate.

Trump has abused his power. The gop has from day one conspired with the president to keep it from resulting in his impeachment.

An end run has been done around the safeguards the founding fathers put in place to prevent a single person from abusing the power of the presidency. In a word, our government has been shown to have a fatal flaw. There is no way to enforce that the three branches fulfill and answer to the rule of law if sufficient numbers are willing to conspire with that same president.
                                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment