Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Take This Impeachment And Shove It...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    That is the story told on fox etc ...
    Well then please do enlighten us on exactly what she said about any impeachable offense.

But before you start I suggest that you keep in mind that she confirmed that she had no first hand knowledge about any supposed quid pro quo or any other part of the investigation. Likewise, keep in mind that there is nothing wrong with a president firing an ambassador no matter how highly she thinks of herself. For instance, Obama fired every one of the holdover ambassadors from the Bush Administration, as was within his power to do. Trump was under no obligation to keep Yovanovitch, an Obama appointee.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by TheWall View Post
      Ok I want to comment on this. Bill Gates himself has told people to go after higher education. Steve Jobs and Bill Gates dropped out because they had learned what they needed. They were also incredibly skilled businessmen. I grow tired of people thinking that higher education doesnt mean much even though it does. I am trying to get a job. I am seriously considering going back to get a masters. Does having a degree necessitate that you know what you are doing? No. However, education is something I would encourage everyone to persue. The fact that we can learn at all is a gift.
      But we can learn from all kinds of sources. Apprenticeships on jobs, trade schools, internships.... college is not bad, but it's not a "one size fits all". I have LOTS of college. But the field in which I earned my greatest financial reward had nothing to do with any college classes I took. I did computer consulting - and became a notable expert on Novell Networks (back when that was the thing) and the guys who had the degrees in Computer Science would call ME when they ran into a snag.

Do you know how many people are actually working in the filed of discipline of their degree?

College is GREAT if you know where you are going in life, and it is a step in that direction.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Ok I want to comment on this. Bill Gates himself has told people to go after higher education. Steve Jobs and Bill Gates dropped out because they had learned what they needed. They were also incredibly skilled businessmen. I grow tired of people thinking that higher education doesnt mean much even though it does. I am trying to get a job. I am seriously considering going back to get a masters. Does having a degree necessitate that you know what you are doing? No. However, education is something I would encourage everyone to persue. The fact that we can learn at all is a gift.
        I think this was in reaction to put-downs about folks who don't have a college degree[1].

1. Full disclosure, I have an associate's degree in Business Administration

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

College is GREAT if you know where you are going in life, and it is a step in that direction.
          Back in the day the conventional wisdom was any sort of degree was better than none. With the exorbitant cost involved now I don't think that is true any more. Way too many college grads stocking shelves at WalMart right along side folks with GEDs but the latter aren't deep, deep in debt and trying to figure a way they can pay for that degree in Medieval Hungarian History or Women's Studies.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            I think this was in reaction to put-downs about folks who don't have a college degree[1].

No. I said this more about Bill Gates. The way I see it College, Apprentice work, Trade School, etc are all incredibly useful. Even if it is a stepping stone. I understand that college is not for everyone and that many people do succeed without it. I am aware that their are plenty of things in higher education that dont make sense, but I am also aware that it can be incredibly useful and that each school and individual are well individuals.

Education much like many things is far more complicated than it may first appear. It is more of a process than a trait. The way I see it one should continue to learn and better themselves at any stage in life.
            sigpic

Comment

My wife, who just got promoted to the head shed at Texas A&M, is the only person in her department without a degree. They actually had to modify a hiring requirement to offer her the job, because it requires a Master's Degree as an absolute minimum. But none of the Master's and PhD's in her department can figure out what she does or how she manages conferences and budgets and appropriations and travel and...

So, when they have a complex operational problem, they turn to my white Evangelical non-college educated wife* to bail them out.

*her salary, however, was elevated to Master's Degree personnel pay
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

No. I said this more about Bill Gates. The way I see it College, Apprentice work, Trade School, etc are all incredibly useful. Even if it is a stepping stone. I understand that college is not for everyone and that many people do succeed without it. I am aware that their are plenty of things in higher education that dont make sense, but I am also aware that it can be incredibly useful and that each school and individual are well individuals.

Education much like many things is far more complicated than it may first appear. It is more of a process than a trait. The way I see it one should continue to learn and better themselves at any stage in life.
                Not a single thing there with which I disagree. Perhaps, however, colleges could get back to focusing on the sciences and the arts instead of freaky weirdo studies and touchy-feelie crap.

Comment

Back in the day the conventional wisdom was any sort of degree was better than none. With the exorbitant cost involved now I don't think that is true any more. Way too many college grads stocking shelves at WalMart right along side folks with GEDs but the latter aren't deep, deep in debt and trying to figure a way they can pay for that degree in Medieval Hungarian History or Women's Studies.
                  And that's the key ---- it has to be an overall plan where the cost/benefit of the college education can be justified.

We have a 2 year community college in town*, and I work with them a lot, and it's a "feeder school" for Texas A&M. It's a really good way to find out, first of all, if you're "cut out" for education, and secondly - it's way more financially reasonable than taking the same preliminary courses at Texas A&M.

*hadn't thought about it, but I guess "2 year" is what makes it a "community college".... or maybe a "junior college"

I remember fondly my days at Absorbine Junior College

Comment

Not a single thing there with which I disagree. Perhaps, however, colleges could get back to focusing on the sciences and the arts instead of freaky weirdo studies and touchy-feelie crap.
                    I agree. My degree is in business administration. Though I didnt get the jobs I have been interviewed by places in town. The way I see it if I have to work fast food or retail or manufacturing for a while before moving on I will. The experience will be good for me. I am also considering learning some more Spanish or such. The way I see it I want to help others and I think in ti.e I will get somewhere. It doesnt have to be all at once.
                    sigpic

Comment

I agree. My degree is in business administration.
                      And that makes sense, because it can translate into so many areas. As opposed to a Poly Sci or Olde English Literature or Bagpiping.

Though I didnt get the jobs I have been interviewed by places in town. The way I see it if I have to work fast food or retail or manufacturing for a while before moving on I will. The experience will be good for me. I am also considering learning some more Spanish or such. The way I see it I want to help others and I think in ti.e I will get somewhere. It doesnt have to be all at once.
                      Spanish is excellent. Not only is it practical, in that we are becoming a more "brown" nation, but it also engages different parts of the brain. My only comment on that would be to recognize that there is "Spain" Spanish and "Mexican" Spanish, and if you speak "Spain" Spanish to our Mexican friends, they're gonna look at you funny.

You're gonna make it, TW - I know this.

ETA: One of the RAREST disciplines these days is DEPENDABILITY, and the ability to show up on time for work, stay til the work is done, and STAY OFF THE PHONE!!!!! (rant over)

Comment

I remember fondly my days at Absorbine Junior College

[/SIZE]
                        Meh. Kinda rubbed me the wrong way.

Comment

And that makes sense, because it can translate into so many areas. As opposed to a Poly Sci or Olde English Literature or Bagpiping.

Spanish is excellent. Not only is it practical, in that we are becoming a more "brown" nation, but it also engages different parts of the brain. My only comment on that would be to recognize that there is "Spain" Spanish and "Mexican" Spanish, and if you speak "Spain" Spanish to our Mexican friends, they're gonna look at you funny.

ETA: One of the RAREST disciplines these days is DEPENDABILITY, and the ability to show up on time for work, stay til the work is done, and STAY OFF THE PHONE!!!!! (rant over)
                          At my new job, there are about 20 supervisors, and all of them introduce themselves to the new hire class at some point. Almost all of them said "show up to work" as their biggest piece of advice. It seems to be a genuine problem. I honestly don't understand why anybody would not show up to work, but...
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Meh. Kinda rubbed me the wrong way.
                            Then I moved on to Warm Matters University, which was just above Hot Springs College.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              At my new job, there are about 20 supervisors, and all of them introduce themselves to the new hire class at some point. Almost all of them said "show up to work" as their biggest piece of advice. It seems to be a genuine problem. I honestly don't understand why anybody would not show up to work, but...
                              It is absolutely dumbfounding --- my wife manages a number of student workers (they actually earn money as students working off hours for A&M) and it doesn't take her long to see which ones can actually show up on time, stay OFF their phones, and not be constantly "calling in sick" or "I have to leave early today"....

One of the student workers actually brought their MOM to the interview some time ago!!!

Yeah, it's a pretty low bar when "all you have to do" is "show up on time" and "don't miss too much work".

Comment

Don't forget underwater basket weaving

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                I actually taught a Mexican friend of mine the proper Spanish words for a very bad couple of words. He didn't believe me and Googled it and was shocked that I was right.

Yup. Good head on his shoulders. Good outlook at life. And pretty smart to boot.

Yup. It's remarkable how many folks think missing "only" three or four days this month is doing good.

Comment