Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Take This Impeachment And Shove It...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
    My mother told me.
    I'm sure your mother is a fine lady.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I'm sure your mother is a fine lady.
      https://www.salon.com/2019/03/22/tru...olicy-changes/

It took ages to find this and it’s from March. I don’t know if that’s a reputable source but at least we know my mother wasn’t lying. Unless she wrote that article.

Comment

https://www.salon.com/2019/03/22/tru...olicy-changes/

It took ages to find this and it’s from March. I don’t know if that’s a reputable source but at least we know my mother wasn’t lying. Unless she wrote that article.
        Salon is, well..... about as fair as ISureDoHateTrump.com
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Those committees already were vested with congressional powers including subpoena upon formation.
          No, they weren't. Members of the House can not take it upon themselves to form a committee with the power to issue subpoenas. It must be authorized by the appropriate chamber, which in this case means a vote by the House.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            No, they weren't. Members of the House can not take it upon themselves to form a committee with the power to issue subpoenas. It must be authorized by the appropriate chamber, which in this case means a vote by the House.
            Again, it wasn't "the House" issuing subpoenas --- it was the very PARTISAN portion of ONE committee of ONE House of Congress, led by one of the most partisan hacks in office.

Comment

• Trump is to Presidents as the 737 Max is to airliners. Not enough Vorsprung Durch Technik.
              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Again, it wasn't "the House" issuing subpoenas --- it was the very PARTISAN portion of ONE committee of ONE House of Congress, led by one of the most partisan hacks in office.
                If they had put it to a vote then they could claim at least a majority support from the House, and it would have allowed them to issue legitimate subpoenas and not impotent demand letters that they didn't even bother trying to defend when they were challenged in court.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Jim, just like a judge can toss out a case that has no actual evidence, so can the Senate. They already know what the articles say and what evidence the Democrats have presented (i.e. none) and so McConnell can say that it is going nowhere. That is not ignoring his oath. That is upholding the constitution.
                  You know and i know that ultimately the american people are the jury, and that is why republicans want to toss it out so that the American people can't make that judgement for themselves, and not because the republicans in the Senate already know the verdict. They want to hide it from you, and you want to hide it from yourselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                    Trump is to Presidents as the 737 Max is to airliners. Not enough Vorsprung Durch Technik.
                    Yeah, except Trump isn't grounded.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      You know and i know that ultimately the american people are the jury....
                      See, you're admitting again -- it's all political.

Comment

Can they really just toss it out without having compelled testimonies from witnesses who reputedly have the most significant knowledge about this matter but have not yet testified?

Do you think a judge or anyone that’s actually interested in the truth would be ok with that? Sounds like oath is being ignored........ and a mistrial.
                        What it is, is an attempt at the continuation of the cover-up by Trumps toadies in the Senate. Republicans no longer respect democracy, they only want to hold onto power and their unprincipled selves will do anything to achieve that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          If these witnesses have evidence that would convict Trump, why didn't the House call them?

It is up to the House to provide the evidence to support their case. If they can't then the case drops.

They haven't proved anything.
                          Do you think the Senate, now that they're in charge of the process, will call them to testify, and do you think Trump will allow them to testify?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            Do you think the Senate, now that they're in charge of the process...
                            Slow your roll, there, buddy --- they're not in charge of the process yet.

Comment

See, you're admitting again -- it's all political.
                              No CP, the Senates cover-up, if they foolishly attempt to go that route, would be political, the reason for the trial is not "all political." Again, you just want to call it "all political" because you believe the charges are a sham.

Comment

Just like the House is the sole owner of "Impeachment", and can make their own rules, the Senate is the sole owner of "Convict and Remove", and can make their own rules.

US Senate: Impeachment

The United States Constitution provides that the House of Representatives "shall have the sole Power of Impeachment" (Article I, section 2) and that "the Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments…[but] no person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two-thirds of the Members present" (Article I, section 3). The president, vice president, and all civil officers of the United States are subject to impeachment.
                                They can make their own rules at the start of the new congress, not later. The House was operating under rules last made by republicans when they were in the majority.

Comment