Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Take This Impeachment And Shove It...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    No CP, the Senates cover-up, if they foolishly attempt to go that route, would be political, the reason for the trial is not "all political." Again, you just want to call it "all political" because you believe the charges are a sham.
    The whole thing is political, Jim - you really need to get out of the bubble. When you have to go to focus groups to even figure out what the charges should be, you're in deep trouble.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

They can make their own rules at the start of the new congress, not later. The House was operating under rules last made by republicans when they were in the majority.
      Citation, please.

Both the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate have the right to make their own rules governing their procedure, and to change those rules. Under current rules, the actual impeachment inquiry begins in the Judiciary Committee of the House of Representatives. That Committee holds hearings, takes evidence, and hears testimony of witnesses concerning matters relevant to the inquiry. Typically, as occurred in the case of President Nixon, there will also be a Minority Counsel who serves the interest of the party not controlling Congress.

source

Your hero, partisan hack Schiff, started the impeachment hearings behind closed doors using the Intelligence Committee - contrary to the rules.

Your guys are a bunch of lawless hacks, Jim.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I think it just goes to show what a political animal impeachment has become.

The Democrats are moving forward on an ENTIRELY partisan basis, using focus groups to try to figure out how to sell their message. The MSM is in lockstep with them to sell this impeachment, so it's AMAZING that support for impeachment isn't closer to 80%! And the Republicans in the Senate know that they have the votes to shut this thing down.

The Democrats have, obviously, made a political calculation that, even though they know they can never prevail in removing Trump, it somehow benefits them politically to stay in power in the House, and maybe gain the Senate and the Executive.

It's nuts!
        Whether they prevail or not doesn't make it political. What makes it political is the attempt to cover-up, to block subpoenaed documents and witnesses, rather than laying it all out there for the American people to see.

Comment

They can make their own rules at the start of the new congress, not later. The House was operating under rules last made by republicans when they were in the majority.

We now have the exact changes that were made from the previous version.

The most obvious change is that Pelosi moved the responsibility and control from the entire House of Representatives to the House Judiciary Committee.

Here is the old language:
          The two most recent resolutions adopted by the House to authorize an impeachment investigation were taken up by unanimous consent at the request of the Rules Committee chair.15 Rather than convene a committee meeting to order the resolutions reported with a quorum present, the chair asked unanimous consent that the House discharge the Rules Committee and agree to the resolution. Both of these resolutions concerned federal judges, and they were agreed to without debate.

In the case of the most recent authorization of a presidential impeachment inquiry, the full House did debate the resolution.

The new version created by House Democrats and published on August 12th gives the authority and control to the House Judiciary Committee.

(Changes in bold)*

Jim, your bubblemakers are lying to you, and you're gobbling it up.

*see the actual cite for the bolding - didn't take time to reproduce it.

Comment

Whether they prevail or not doesn't make it political. What makes it political is the attempt to cover-up, to block subpoenaed documents and witnesses, rather than laying it all out there for the American people to see.
            Ah, another "I got caught with my pants down, so .... it doesn't matter!"

Jim, seriously, you get fed such glaring lies by your talking points --- You are probably the most MISINFORMED person I know with regards to impeachment and its process.

Please, do yourself a favor --- get new talking points from a different source. You are being lied to, and you're swallowing it hook, line and sinker.

Comment

Here's a visual representation of the changes, updated from June 14, 2019 to August 12, 2019, showing what a steaming pile of horsiepoo this lie is...

Changes from June 14, 2019 to August 12, 2019

[This page] shows textual changes in the document between the two versions indicated in the dates above. Textual matter removed in the later version is indicated with red strikethrough and textual matter added in the later version is indicated with blue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                No, they weren't. Members of the House can not take it upon themselves to form a committee with the power to issue subpoenas. It must be authorized by the appropriate chamber, which in this case means a vote by the House.
                They didnt take it upon themselves to form a committee, the committees were already formed. The HPSCI was formed in 1977 and their rules of procedure dated February 2019 has subpoenas at section 10.

Comment

Ah, another "I got caught with my pants down, so .... it doesn't matter!"

Jim, seriously, you get fed such glaring lies by your talking points --- You are probably the most MISINFORMED person I know with regards to impeachment and its process.

Please, do yourself a favor --- get new talking points from a different source. You are being lied to, and you're swallowing it hook, line and sinker.
                  He's the quintessential low-information voter.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

He's the quintessential low-information voter.
                    I'm just amazed that he consistently gets so many things factually incorrect, but still goes, apparently, to the same wrong sources.

Maybe it's time for BetterLiberalTalkingPointsForDummies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                      They didnt take it upon themselves to form a committee, the committees were already formed. The HPSCI was formed in 1977 and their rules of procedure dated February 2019 has subpoenas at section 10.
                      They were never granted authority to pursue impeachment.

Comment

I'm just amazed that he consistently gets so many things factually incorrect, but still goes, apparently, to the same wrong sources.

Maybe it's time for BetterLiberalTalkingPointsForDummies.
                        It's why I sometimes wonder if he's just playing us.

Comment

It's why I sometimes wonder if he's just playing us.
                          The rules change I posted is exactly what you've been saying for... how long? The power was moved from the Full House to the Judiciary, even though Shifty Schiff began the whole thing in the Intelligence Committee.

And the fact that it happened on the same day as the "whistle blower" complaint is awfully coincidental.

Comment

The rules change I posted is exactly what you've been saying for... how long? The power was moved from the Full House to the Judiciary, even though Shifty Schiff began the whole thing in the Intelligence Committee.

And the fact that it happened on the same day as the "whistle blower" complaint is awfully coincidental.
                            And there's this (emphasis mine):

As announced in Wilkinson v. United States a Congressional committee must meet three requirements for its subpoenas to be "legally sufficient." First, the committee's investigation of the broad subject area must be authorized by its chamber; second, the investigation must pursue "a valid legislative purpose" but does not need to involve legislation and does not need to specify the ultimate intent of Congress; and third, the specific inquiries must be pertinent to the subject matter area that has been authorized for investigation.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Contempt_of_Congress

In this case, the "chamber" would be the full House of Representatives which traditionally makes its decisions through a vote of all members. This never happened at any point throughout this whole insane process.

Comment

And there's this (emphasis mine):

As announced in Wilkinson v. United States a Congressional committee must meet three requirements for its subpoenas to be "legally sufficient." First, the committee's investigation of the broad subject area must be authorized by its chamber; second, the investigation must pursue "a valid legislative purpose" but does not need to involve legislation and does not need to specify the ultimate intent of Congress; and third, the specific inquiries must be pertinent to the subject matter area that has been authorized for investigation.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Contempt_of_Congress

In this case, the "chamber" would be the full House of Representatives which traditionally makes its decisions through a vote of all members. This never happened at any point throughout this whole insane process.

Comment

• The House still needs to vote to authorize an impeachment inquiry.

Comment