Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NBA Caving To China...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I've been a LeBron fan for all 16 years he's been in the league, but no longer. If I end up going to a Hornets game this year and it happens to be against the Lakers, I'm booing him.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

2. Amen seer amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Now also Blizzard Entertainment, banning players from their E-Sports tournament who express sympathy for Hong Kong, and even outright banning Winnie The Pooh cosplays from an upcoming convention.

They banned the player Blitzchung, who is a world champion player, for a short statement he said during a stream in favor of the Hong Kong protests: This was a permanent ban and they completely revoked his price money. Later after outrage expressed from both the right and the left, they caved a bit, reduced the ban to a six-month ban and gave him back his prize money.

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/11/76936...=1571606131499

Source: NPR

Facing public backlash over penalizing a gamer for his statements in support of Hong Kong protesters, Blizzard Entertainment released a statement late Friday announcing a reduction of his penalties.

Blizzard Entertainment initially banned professional esports player Blitzchung from competitions for 12 months and rescinded his 2019 winnings, said to be $10,000, over his statements in support for Hong Kong's pro-democracy protests.

© Copyright Original Source

4. Amen Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    radical strawberry
    Faith
    Humanist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    Now also Blizzard Entertainment ...
    REGARDING LAST WEEKEND’S HEARTHSTONE GRANDMASTERS TOURNAMENT

One of our goals at Blizzard is to make sure that every player, everywhere in the world, regardless of political views, religious beliefs, race, gender, or any other consideration always feels safe and welcome both competing in and playing our games.

Well, that settles that, then.

radical strawberry
    Faith
    Humanist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post
    Well, that settles that, then.
    EGbObT2U4AAQRxs.jpeg
    EGbObKRUcAAXN68.jpeg
    EGZoF7pVUAEyP5R.jpeg

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I can't be upset about Blizzard banning of the Winnie the Pooh stereotypes, though. How is that not a blatant ethnic slur based on stereotypes of the happy fat Asian man? (And it's one I've seen repeated by a lot of people online.)
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I believe Blizzard stated that it wasn't his position (i.e. being for Hong Kong) that they banned him for, it was that he was expressing an opinion--one way or the other--on politics during a tournament stream, which they're not supposed to do.

Given complaints people often have when players or announcers drag politics into their sports coverage like that whole NFL thing from a while ago, I don't think such a policy is unreasonable. Or can someone show examples of them showing double standards in this?

radical strawberry
    Faith
    Humanist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I can't be upset about Blizzard banning of the Winnie the Pooh stereotypes, though. How is that not a blatant ethnic slur based on stereotypes of the happy fat Asian man? (And it's one I've seen repeated by a lot of people online.)
    It's regularly used by Chinese dissidents to refer to Chairman Xi without naming him directly, which would otherwise result in arrest and imprisonment.