Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

O’Rourke: Churches Should Lose Tax-exempt Status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Warren is like that. Kind of like how she complains about the price of college after getting paid $400,000 to teach one class (a job she got after lying about being Native American).
    Well, we can't have a liar in the White House can we.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dimbulb View Post
      This argument sounds like it has plausible logic...

...right up until you actually start to look at the empirical evidence. The least religious countries in the world, who are majority atheist, tend to be the ones who are doing the best (in terms of almost any international comparison you care to pick - e.g. happiness, low murder rate, lack of corruption, life expectancy, general multi-variate comparisons etc.)

A list of the top-10 least religious countries in the world, is pretty much a list of wonderful countries to live in (Australia, Sweden, Germany, Netherlands, New Zealand, Luxembourg, Denmark, Canada, France, Austria). That is certainly NOT a list of countries that are "going to hell in a hand-basket" or who are falling apart as a result of abandoning their Christian roots.

A list of the top-10 most religious countries in the world is pretty much a list of atrociously awful countries to live in. (Algeria, Chad, Ghana, Mali, Qatar, Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, Zambia, Cambodia, Cameroon) With the possible exception of Qatar, religion doesn't seem to be making these countries great.
      correlation =/= causation
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        She trashed a guy for saying what she's lived.
        No, what she "trashed" him for had nothing to do with the circumstances of her own life. Basically she was saying that people should mind their own business. If you're a man who thinks that marriage should be between a man and a woman, then marry a woman, but don't try to force your beliefs down the throats of others.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          No, what she "trashed" him for had nothing to do with the circumstances of her own life. Basically she was saying that people should mind their own business. If you're a man who thinks that marriage should be between a man and a woman, then marry a woman, but don't try to force your beliefs down the throats of others.
          Too bad Democrats want to use the IRS to force the issue down the throats of their opponents, exposing your entire post as yet another Democrat lie.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
            Too bad Democrats want to use the IRS to force the issue down the throats of their opponents, exposing your entire post as yet another Democrat lie.
            What? You mean the IRS is forcing you to marry a woman? What?

Comment

What? You mean the IRS is forcing you to marry a woman? What?
              Are you stupid Jimmy? A democrat candidate has said he promised to go after the tax exempt status of any church that doesn’t embrace gay marriage.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Are you stupid Jimmy? A democrat candidate has said he promised to go after the tax exempt status of any church that doesn’t embrace gay marriage.
                Change the subject much? That wasn't the issue being discussed. I don't care what a candidate might say, the IRS isn't forcing you to marry a woman, which is what you suggested.

Comment

Change the subject much? That wasn't the issue being discussed. I don't care what a candidate might say, the IRS isn't forcing you to marry a woman, which is what you suggested.
                  I said nothing of the sort. I said the Democrats don’t want a live and let live policy, they want to use the full force of the government to make others agree or else.
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                    Well, we can't have a liar in the White House can we.
                    Your remark strongly suggests you'd be fine with it as long as they're a leftist.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                      Because I was addressing mossrose’s quote by a Southern Baptist, who was trained at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, and presumably reflects the Southern Baptist understanding of “The gospel of Christ”.
                      Key point - "presumably". This demonstrates your profound ignorance of the principle of the priesthood of the believer and the autonomy of the local church.

My point is that every Christian reads the biblical text through the lens of their own culture, theology, philosophy, and denomination. And ALL think they are the ones who've got it right.
                      You don't know squat about what "every Christian" thinks.

All of them if they are to remain in good standing with the “One True Church”.
                      Hogwash. You are apparently as profoundly ignorant of what Catholics think, as well. Not all of the march lockstep with the Pope.

'No salvation outside the Church' remains official Catholic Doctrine.
                      And you ignorantly assume that every Catholic buys that.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

No, that's not at all what she did. She attacked him for his beliefs - the same beliefs she lives.

Besides, your version is more hypocritical - 'don't force you beliefs on others' is itself a belief in a moral position, one hypocritical in its own assumption of its own moral superiority that others should be forced not to 'force' their beliefs on others.
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Your remark strongly suggests you'd be fine with it as long as they're a leftist.
                          Well, we already know that you're fine with it, rogue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            No, that's not at all what she did. She attacked him for his beliefs - the same beliefs she lives.
                            No, Tea. The question wasn't even about himself, it was a hypothetical. Question: "what would you say to a man who believes marriage is between a man and a woman." Answer: "I'd tell him to marry a woman." In other words, she'd tell him to tend to his own business, marry a woman, and don't worry yourself about how others choose to live their own lives.
                            Besides, your version is more hypocritical - 'don't force you beliefs on others' is itself a belief in a moral position, one hypocritical in its own assumption of its own moral superiority that others should be forced not to 'force' their beliefs on others.
                            Now that, is just silly, Tea. It has nothing to do with moral superiority, it has to do with the individual freedom of each person to live according to their own values and beliefs.

Comment

I said nothing of the sort. I said the Democrats don’t want a live and let live policy, they want to use the full force of the government to make others agree or else.
                              That's because you changed the subject to the IRS, who you think is the government coming after your values or something. Nor do you explain exactly what you're talking about. Tin foil hat, lilpix, get it quick!

Comment

That's because you changed the subject to the IRS, who you think is the government coming after your values or something. Nor do you explain exactly what you're talking about. Tin foil hat, lilpix, get it quick!
                                So a democrat presidential candidate didn’t say, on a public stage, that he would eliminate the tax exempt status of any church that didn’t perform gay weddings and the audience didn’t cheer at such a statement? So what part of this isn’t true?
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment