Page 12 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 513

Thread: O’Rourke: Churches Should Lose Tax-exempt Status

  1. #111
    What's that? lilpixieofterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    9,629
    Amen (Given)
    1513
    Amen (Received)
    3234
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    What? You mean the IRS is forcing you to marry a woman? What?
    Are you stupid Jimmy? A democrat candidate has said he promised to go after the tax exempt status of any church that doesn’t embrace gay marriage.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

  2. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
  3. #112
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,049
    Amen (Given)
    1758
    Amen (Received)
    1502
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    Are you stupid Jimmy? A democrat candidate has said he promised to go after the tax exempt status of any church that doesn’t embrace gay marriage.
    Change the subject much? That wasn't the issue being discussed. I don't care what a candidate might say, the IRS isn't forcing you to marry a woman, which is what you suggested.

  4. #113
    What's that? lilpixieofterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    9,629
    Amen (Given)
    1513
    Amen (Received)
    3234
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Change the subject much? That wasn't the issue being discussed. I don't care what a candidate might say, the IRS isn't forcing you to marry a woman, which is what you suggested.
    I said nothing of the sort. I said the Democrats don’t want a live and let live policy, they want to use the full force of the government to make others agree or else.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

  5. #114
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    53,172
    Amen (Given)
    1128
    Amen (Received)
    19472
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    Well, we can't have a liar in the White House can we.
    Your remark strongly suggests you'd be fine with it as long as they're a leftist.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

  6. Amen Mountain Man amen'd this post.
  7. #115
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    56,380
    Amen (Given)
    12249
    Amen (Received)
    26206
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    Because I was addressing mossrose’s quote by a Southern Baptist, who was trained at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, and presumably reflects the Southern Baptist understanding of “The gospel of Christ”.
    Key point - "presumably". This demonstrates your profound ignorance of the principle of the priesthood of the believer and the autonomy of the local church.

    My point is that every Christian reads the biblical text through the lens of their own culture, theology, philosophy, and denomination. And ALL think they are the ones who've got it right.
    You don't know squat about what "every Christian" thinks.

    All of them if they are to remain in good standing with the “One True Church”.
    Hogwash. You are apparently as profoundly ignorant of what Catholics think, as well. Not all of the march lockstep with the Pope.

    'No salvation outside the Church' remains official Catholic Doctrine.
    And you ignorantly assume that every Catholic buys that.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  8. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
  9. #116
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    15,268
    Amen (Given)
    9506
    Amen (Received)
    5634
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    No, what she "trashed" him for had nothing to do with the circumstances of her own life. Basically she was saying that people should mind their own business. If you're a man who thinks that marriage should be between a man and a woman, then marry a woman, but don't try to force your beliefs down the throats of others.
    No, that's not at all what she did. She attacked him for his beliefs - the same beliefs she lives.

    Besides, your version is more hypocritical - 'don't force you beliefs on others' is itself a belief in a moral position, one hypocritical in its own assumption of its own moral superiority that others should be forced not to 'force' their beliefs on others.

  10. Amen Mountain Man, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
  11. #117
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,049
    Amen (Given)
    1758
    Amen (Received)
    1502
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Your remark strongly suggests you'd be fine with it as long as they're a leftist.
    Well, we already know that you're fine with it, rogue.

  12. #118
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,049
    Amen (Given)
    1758
    Amen (Received)
    1502
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    No, that's not at all what she did. She attacked him for his beliefs - the same beliefs she lives.
    No, Tea. The question wasn't even about himself, it was a hypothetical. Question: "what would you say to a man who believes marriage is between a man and a woman." Answer: "I'd tell him to marry a woman." In other words, she'd tell him to tend to his own business, marry a woman, and don't worry yourself about how others choose to live their own lives.
    Besides, your version is more hypocritical - 'don't force you beliefs on others' is itself a belief in a moral position, one hypocritical in its own assumption of its own moral superiority that others should be forced not to 'force' their beliefs on others.
    Now that, is just silly, Tea. It has nothing to do with moral superiority, it has to do with the individual freedom of each person to live according to their own values and beliefs.

  13. #119
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,049
    Amen (Given)
    1758
    Amen (Received)
    1502
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    I said nothing of the sort. I said the Democrats don’t want a live and let live policy, they want to use the full force of the government to make others agree or else.
    That's because you changed the subject to the IRS, who you think is the government coming after your values or something. Nor do you explain exactly what you're talking about. Tin foil hat, lilpix, get it quick!

  14. #120
    What's that? lilpixieofterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    9,629
    Amen (Given)
    1513
    Amen (Received)
    3234
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    That's because you changed the subject to the IRS, who you think is the government coming after your values or something. Nor do you explain exactly what you're talking about. Tin foil hat, lilpix, get it quick!
    So a democrat presidential candidate didn’t say, on a public stage, that he would eliminate the tax exempt status of any church that didn’t perform gay weddings and the audience didn’t cheer at such a statement? So what part of this isn’t true?
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

  15. Amen NorrinRadd, mossrose amen'd this post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •