Page 9 of 56 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 559

Thread: O’Rourke: Churches Should Lose Tax-exempt Status

  1. #81
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,820
    Amen (Given)
    226
    Amen (Received)
    712
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    See Texas Monthly, Inc. v. Bullock for SCOTUS confirming that a religious tax exemption amounts to a subsidy that other tax-payers have to pay and striking down a Texas law giving tax exemptions to religious publications.
    This wasn't a tax exemption, at least as is how we are using it. The "exemption" to religious publications was on the part of the consumers--that is, the people subscribing to those magazines did not need to pay a sales tax (whereas anyone subscribing to a non-religious publication would have to pay a sales tax). It's sort of like how a lot of food products are sold without sales tax. That does not mean that the companies that make that food are in fact "tax exempt."

    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    This argument sounds like it has plausible logic...

    ...right up until you actually start to look at the empirical evidence. The least religious countries in the world, who are majority atheist, tend to be the ones who are doing the best (in terms of almost any international comparison you care to pick - e.g. happiness, low murder rate, lack of corruption, life expectancy, general multi-variate comparisons etc.)

    A list of the top-10 least religious countries in the world, is pretty much a list of wonderful countries to live in (Australia, Sweden, Germany, Netherlands, New Zealand, Luxembourg, Denmark, Canada, France, Austria). That is certainly NOT a list of countries that are "going to hell in a hand-basket" or who are falling apart as a result of abandoning their Christian roots.

    A list of the top-10 most religious countries in the world is pretty much a list of atrociously awful countries to live in. (Algeria, Chad, Ghana, Mali, Qatar, Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, Zambia, Cambodia, Cameroon) With the possible exception of Qatar, religion doesn't seem to be making these countries great.
    This argument seems highly problematic to me. First, exactly where are these lists from? How did they quantify how religious or nonreligious they are? I have a hard time considering a list to be accurate if it puts Germany on a list of "least religious" countries but omits North Korea.

    Indeed, I notice a correlation in those lists: The countries in the first group (the "good" ones) are all countries where the majority of the population is white. The countries in the second group (the "bad" ones) are all countries where the majority of the population isn't white. It seems one can take the data you presented and, with just as much backing, assert it proves the superiority of the white race.

    I am, of course, not asserting that it is race that is the reason. Merely that one can draw that conclusion just as well as what you appear to be asserting.

  2. #82
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,099
    Amen (Given)
    1762
    Amen (Received)
    1505
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yes, I'm well aware of that, but your blanket statement "The government doesn't play favorites, it isn't partisan" is preposterous, Jim. Money is the mother's milk of politics, as they say.

    Both sides, when in power, will do nearly anything to keep themselves in power. Your blind trust in "the government" is, in my opinion, seriously misguided.
    The blanket statement was meant to cover the non partisan rules of government concerning political campaigns. You took the blanket statement out of context.

  3. #83
    Professor KingsGambit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Triangle
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10,665
    Amen (Given)
    1766
    Amen (Received)
    4676
    Has anybody else caught that even the Friendly Atheist blog (which isn't friendly at all) thinks Beto was wrong on this one? I can't link because of Hemant's language, but his point of focus is on the idea of legislating thought.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

  4. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
  5. #84
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,099
    Amen (Given)
    1762
    Amen (Received)
    1505
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I don't pretend to speak for all Catholics, Jim.
    Or all christians, with respect to biblical interpretation, which I believe was his point.

  6. #85
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    56,548
    Amen (Given)
    12287
    Amen (Received)
    26291
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    The blanket statement was meant to cover the non partisan rules of government concerning political campaigns. You took the blanket statement out of context.
    Anybody who thinks our government is nonpartisan in this day and age must live in a cave, regardless of what "the rules" say.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  7. #86
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    56,548
    Amen (Given)
    12287
    Amen (Received)
    26291
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Or all christians, with respect to biblical interpretation, which I believe was his point.
    How bout you let him handle his point?
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  8. #87
    Professor KingsGambit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Triangle
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10,665
    Amen (Given)
    1766
    Amen (Received)
    4676
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraceth View Post
    I have a hard time considering a list to be accurate if it puts Germany on a list of "least religious" countries but omits North Korea.
    .
    You don't count Juche as a religion?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

  9. #88
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,099
    Amen (Given)
    1762
    Amen (Received)
    1505
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    How bout you let him handle his point?
    How bout you stop being a tweb "nanny."

  10. #89
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    56,548
    Amen (Given)
    12287
    Amen (Received)
    26291
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    How bout you stop being a tweb "nanny."
    Sure, Jimmy, whatever you say.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  11. #90
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,099
    Amen (Given)
    1762
    Amen (Received)
    1505
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Anybody who thinks our government is nonpartisan in this day and age must live in a cave, regardless of what "the rules" say.
    I hope you're keeping those tin foil hats handy there, CP. The rules concerning the subsidizing of political campaigns (whatever rules Tea is talking about) apply to all political parties and they are all aware of the rules.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •