Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Sure, Jimmy, whatever you say.
    Thank you.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    I hope you're keeping those tin foil hats handy there, CP.
    I have been talking to you as an adult, Jim - perhaps you could reign in the insults, as well.

The rules concerning the subsidizing of political campaigns (whatever rules Tea is talking about) apply to all political parties and they are all aware of the rules.
    Jim, rules are totally irrelevant if both sides don't abide by them. Campaign finance is a mess.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    You are an intelligent person Tassman, it seems to me you would take the time to think a little deeper to at least try to understand a bit more about this issue than such a simplistic dismissal.

First, the christian scripture is also the jewish scripture. And all in all, there isxsomewgere around 1/4 of the world's population that finds much more in that text than 'what we want it to be'. There are literally millions of people on this Earth that because of what that book tells them have found reason to abandon drug and alchohol addictions, to go from abusive fathers and mothers to people that care for and love their spousesxand children. Muderors that have become prison ministers or other productive members of society.

There is a message of hope, of forgiveness, of mercy and love in those pages that transcends the sort of a ademic debate you are concerned about here.

And that hope and mercy and forgiveness is its power and its reality.

And that message is the message all Christian's gold in common, regardless of the outward trappings that confuse and in some cases divide.

Jim
    No doubt there is much good to be found in the Christian religion, just as there is in ALL religions. But that's not the point I'm making which is that scripture is, and historically always has been, interpreted according to the moral values of the day. The role of women being a case in point.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

4. Amen JimL amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You really have a thing for Southern Baptists, don't you?
    It’s relevant to this discussion. Dustin Benge, whom Mossrose was quoting with approval, is a Southern Baptist and trained at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. And you, I think, are Southern Baptist.

You can speak for ALL Catholics? Because the ones in my ministerial association don't believe that at all.
    Traditionally the RC Doctrine is that there is 'no salvation outside the Church' and Protestants, being outside the Church, are “heretics” destined for Hell. This doctrine was modified at Vatican II to refer to Protestants as “separated brethren” rather than "heretics", but the belief remains the same.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

6. Amen JimL amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I have been talking to you as an adult, Jim - perhaps you could reign in the insults, as well.
    Yes, I can.

Jim, rules are totally irrelevant if both sides don't abide by them. Campaign finance is a mess.
    Well, Tea and myself weren't talking about corruption, she was talking about legitimate government subsidizing of political campaigns. Personally I have no idea what she's talking about with respect to government subsizing of political campaigns, but the point I was making is that the rules, whatever they might be, are not partisan rules. If there are government subsidies for political campaigns, the subsidies are applicable to all political parties.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yes, I can.
    Super.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    It’s relevant to this discussion. Dustin Benge, whom Mossrose was quoting with approval, is a Southern Baptist and trained at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. And you, I think, are Southern Baptist.
    I am. So?

Traditionally the RC Doctrine is that there is 'no salvation outside the Church' and Protestants, being outside the Church, are “heretics” destined for Hell. This doctrine was modified at Vatican II to refer to Protestants as “separated brethren” rather than "heretics", but the belief remains the same.
    And, again, so? How many Catholics do you think actually go along with every aspect of Vatican "official policy"?

10. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yes, I can.

Well, Tea and myself weren't talking about corruption, she was talking about legitimate government subsidizing of political campaigns. Personally I have no idea what she's talking about with respect to government subsizing of political campaigns, but the point I was making is that the rules, whatever they might be, are not partisan rules. If there are government subsidies for political campaigns, the subsidies are applicable to all political parties.
    Wasn't making a point beyond that you had overstated that there was no campaign subsidy when you meant it wasn't applied (legally) in a partisan way (per your later clarification).

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Back on topic....

Democrats want to close churches, raise taxes and pay for sex reassignment surgery. Great.

“Let's say you're on the campaign trail and a supporter approaches you and says, 'Senator, I'm old-fashioned, and my faith teaches me that marriage is between one man and one woman.' What is your response?" asked Morgan Cox, board chairman of the Human Rights Campaign, which co-hosted the event.

"Well, I'm going to assume it's a guy who said that, and I'm going to say, 'Then just marry one woman. I'm cool with that,'" Warren said, to laughs and applause from the audience.

As the clapping subsided, the senator paused before going in for the kill — "assuming you can find one" — drawing sustained applause and cheers from the crowd.
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 10-15-2019 at 04:04 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Warren is twice married - two kids from the first marriage (1968 - 1978) - and is celebrating 39 years of marriage in the second (1980 - present).

Hypocrite.