Page 19 of 52 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 518

Thread: O’Rourke: Churches Should Lose Tax-exempt Status

  1. #181
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    17,919
    Amen (Given)
    5838
    Amen (Received)
    6440
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    The majority didn’t seem to mind having the Jews, Gypsies, gays, mentally ill, etc shipped away.
    Yep... which brings up another question being avoided:

    Immediate? Local? Regional? National? International? Global? Which "community" should one be beholden to morally, and why?
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  2. #182
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,506
    Amen (Given)
    1146
    Amen (Received)
    489
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    The majority didn’t seem to mind having the Jews, Gypsies, gays, mentally ill, etc shipped away.
    With regard to the jews the majority could have been influenced by the church:

    First to set fire to their synagogues or schools and to bury and cover with dirt whatever will not burn, so that no man will ever again see a stone or cinder of them. This is to be done in honor of our Lord and of Christendom, so that God might see that we are Christians, and do not condone or knowingly tolerate such public lying, cursing, and blaspheming of his Son and of his Christians. For whatever we tolerated in the past unknowingly * and I myself was unaware of it * will be pardoned by God. But if we, now that we are informed, were to protect and shield such a house for the Jews, existing right before our very nose, in which they lie about, blaspheme, curse, vilify, and defame Christ and us (as was heard above), it would be the same as if we were doing all this and even worse ourselves, as we very well know.

    Second, I advise that their houses also be razed and destroyed. For they pursue in them the same aims as in their synagogues. Instead they might be lodged under a roof or in a barn, like the gypsies. This will bring home to them that they are not masters in our country, as they boast, but that they are living in exile and in captivity, as they incessantly wail and lament about us before God. Martin Luther https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org...heir-lies-quot
    "That is the little thing, the small thing, which Trump demands of his followers: To call hot cold. To call black white. To call wrong right." Michael Gerson

  3. #183
    What's that? lilpixieofterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    9,629
    Amen (Given)
    1513
    Amen (Received)
    3234
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    With regard to the jews the majority could have been influenced by the church:
    So you agree that ‘majority rules’ is a bad idea. Thanks Charles. Now, can you give me a reason I should try to defend Martin Luther’s more crazy words?
    Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 10-21-2019 at 11:15 AM.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

  4. #184
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,506
    Amen (Given)
    1146
    Amen (Received)
    489
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    So you agree that ‘majority rules’ is a bad idea. Thanks Charles. Now, can you give me a reason I should try to defend Martin Luther’s more crazy words?
    That is a simplification of my view. I wonder why you ask me for a reason to support Martin Luther's words. It was an example listed among all the other examples of how you could arrive at the wrong conclusions. As has been pointed out numerous times those who claim to speak on behalf of a higher power or claim to have a higher authority based on a religious belief often point others in the completely wrong direction, just like people go in the wrong direction in the example you yourself provided.
    "That is the little thing, the small thing, which Trump demands of his followers: To call hot cold. To call black white. To call wrong right." Michael Gerson

  5. #185
    What's that? lilpixieofterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    9,629
    Amen (Given)
    1513
    Amen (Received)
    3234
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    That is a simplification of my view. I wonder why you ask me for a reason to support Martin Luther's words. It was an example listed among all the other examples of how you could arrive at the wrong conclusions. As has been pointed out numerous times those who claim to speak on behalf of a higher power or claim to have a higher authority based on a religious belief often point others in the completely wrong direction, just like people go in the wrong direction in the example you yourself provided.
    In other words, you want to blame religion on all the ills of the world.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

  6. #186
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,506
    Amen (Given)
    1146
    Amen (Received)
    489
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    In other words, you want to blame religion on all the ills of the world.
    I acknowledged the examples you gave in which religion was certainly not the only cause, so I wonder how you are able to arrive at such an obviously wrong conclusion.
    "That is the little thing, the small thing, which Trump demands of his followers: To call hot cold. To call black white. To call wrong right." Michael Gerson

  7. #187
    What's that? lilpixieofterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    9,629
    Amen (Given)
    1513
    Amen (Received)
    3234
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    I acknowledged the examples you gave in which religion was certainly not the only cause, so I wonder how you are able to arrive at such an obviously wrong conclusion.
    Charles, you should read about psychological experiments done in the 60’s about this same thing. You can condition people to accept a lot of things, without using religion to do so.
    Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 10-21-2019 at 12:29 PM.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

  8. #188
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,506
    Amen (Given)
    1146
    Amen (Received)
    489
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    Charles, you should read about psychological experiments done in the 60’s about this same thing. You can condition people to accept a lot of things, without using religion to do so.
    What gives you reason to think I would deny that? And how is it even an answer the point I had about religion in some forms being one source of error among many others?

  9. #189
    What's that? lilpixieofterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    9,629
    Amen (Given)
    1513
    Amen (Received)
    3234
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    What gives you reason to think I would deny that? And how is it even an answer the point I had about religion in some forms being one source of error among many others?
    Your point is to troll Charles. Stop pretending you were trying to have an honest conversation.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

  10. #190
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,506
    Amen (Given)
    1146
    Amen (Received)
    489
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    Your point is to troll Charles. Stop pretending you were trying to have an honest conversation.
    Strange answer after having failed to describy my position correctly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •