Page 51 of 65 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 510 of 641

Thread: O’Rourke: Churches Should Lose Tax-exempt Status

  1. #501
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    15,582
    Amen (Given)
    10055
    Amen (Received)
    5774
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    We have two alternatives, Tea, temporal or eternal. That is why believers argue that god is eternal and the believed creation is temporal. The temporal process leads to an infinite regress, it's opposite, the eternal has no process, it doesn't change. If it does change, then it's not eternal, and would also result in an infinite regress.
    That's a much too simplistic view of eternity, Jim. Remember Steady State was a theory predicated on the universe being eternal, but not unchanging.

  2. #502
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,416
    Amen (Given)
    1786
    Amen (Received)
    1516
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    That's a much too simplistic view of eternity, Jim. Remember Steady State was a theory predicated on the universe being eternal, but not unchanging.
    But that doesn't change a thing, Tea. An eternal entity that changes would still lead to an infinite regress.

  3. #503
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    15,582
    Amen (Given)
    10055
    Amen (Received)
    5774
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    But that doesn't change a thing, Tea. An eternal entity that changes would still lead to an infinite regress.
    I wasn't paying attention to most of your argument with Seer - an infinite regress on what?

  4. #504
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,416
    Amen (Given)
    1786
    Amen (Received)
    1516
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    I wasn't paying attention to most of your argument with Seer - an infinite regress on what?
    On anything that changes whether as in physical actions or mental decisions.

  5. #505
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    15,582
    Amen (Given)
    10055
    Amen (Received)
    5774
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    On anything that changes whether as in physical actions or mental decisions.
    I don't follow - how does that lead to infinite regression? Is this related to omniscience?

  6. #506
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,416
    Amen (Given)
    1786
    Amen (Received)
    1516
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    I don't follow - how does that lead to infinite regression? Is this related to omniscience?
    The believers argument is that the universe had to be created, had to have a beginning, because otherwise, if it is eternal, its cause and effect nature would go on ad-infinitum, an infinite regression, which is an impossibility.

  7. #507
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    15,582
    Amen (Given)
    10055
    Amen (Received)
    5774
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    The believers argument is that the universe had to be created, had to have a beginning, because otherwise, if it is eternal, its cause and effect nature would go on ad-infinitum, an infinite regression, which is an impossibility.
    Oh - no, I've never seen that variant. Looks more like it's related to the idea of a cyclic Big Bang.

  8. #508
    tWebber Tassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney/Phuket
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    11,613
    Amen (Given)
    2520
    Amen (Received)
    1838
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    Tass which Christians believe that adultery is a moral good? I certainly don't.
    That’s not what I said. What I said was that social values among Christians re divorce and remarriage have changed significantly over time. In short, your so-called God-given unchangeable moral values on this and many other things demonstrably change.

    And I used Scripture to show why they were wrong.
    But the Christians who owned slaves for centuries disagree. They justified their slave ownership by scripture. See above re God’s so-called unchanging morality.

    But really - so what - in your world it is all relative anyway...
    It is all relative in your world too, witness the changing moral attitudes re slavery over the millennia.

    So human significance is merely a matter of opinion. You like steak, I like lobster.
    How silly you are. Human significance is NOT “merely a matter of opinion”. It has evolved as an essential part of our genetic make-up.

    I'm not speaking of how you live your lives but the logical outcome of atheism - existential nihilism.
    The “logical” and biological outcome of ALL life is death and decay. But what matters to us is that we have evolved to survive as cooperative social animals. Our lives are important to us.

    Why is a sheep for a sheep just and not a human life for a human life? The concept holds logically...
    Except that you as a Christian are compelled to “turn the other cheek” in all instances.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

  9. #509
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    25,607
    Amen (Given)
    1833
    Amen (Received)
    5278
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    I wasn't paying attention to most of your argument with Seer - an infinite regress on what?
    An infinite regression of past physical events that led to this present universe.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

  10. #510
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    25,607
    Amen (Given)
    1833
    Amen (Received)
    5278
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Oh - no, I've never seen that variant. Looks more like it's related to the idea of a cyclic Big Bang.
    Yes it could be a cyclic series of big bangs and crunches or a infinite series of events within a multiverse that give rise to smaller bubble universes within the larger multiverse.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •